Sponsored

Problem - installed the MOPAR Class IV receiver hitch on my Rubicon

Gadgetech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I guess this was my first mod and I’m new to Jeeps so figured I’d ask for some feedback on 2 items relating to the install of the MOPAR Class IV receiver hitch.

I have a Rubicon with the backup sensors and after installing the hitch, they aren’t working. Is it because I unplugged them as part of the hitch install process and more they need to be reprogrammed, or is something broken? They worked fine before. One of the plugs was a little difficult but I don’t see how I could’ve broken it.

Secondly, part of the plastic bumper screws into the bottom of the hitch with 2 torx bolts. The factory hitch that was installed on my Gladiator at the factory has what appears to be nutserts in the bumper for these torx bolts to thread into. The new receiver hitch has holes in the same location but nothing to thread the bolts into. Can I just buy the nutserts to install myself or does it really even matter since it’s just securing plastic tabs? Photos below.

Jeep Gladiator Problem - installed the MOPAR Class IV receiver hitch on my Rubicon A30A8726-2678-4DD3-9761-A85298321155
Jeep Gladiator Problem - installed the MOPAR Class IV receiver hitch on my Rubicon FDC44E74-7D1E-482D-9070-309B122DF271
Jeep Gladiator Problem - installed the MOPAR Class IV receiver hitch on my Rubicon 58C86432-1C63-4B6A-84E6-8573672C361C
Jeep Gladiator Problem - installed the MOPAR Class IV receiver hitch on my Rubicon D8F00124-4D49-4B87-801A-F92847D1EF25
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Your backup sensors should just be a plug and play re-installation after the hitch install. So something got gacked up there during the install that got missed.

As to the missing nutsert, of course you can install your own but it may be somewhat difficult in getting the exact nutsert part number to order if the hitch illustrated parts breakdown does not list a separate part number for it. My OCD would have me putting some kind of plug or faster setup regardless but it looks to be non critical if left off.

DougM55

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I had a similar issue with the sensors. Have someone sit in the bed with a broom handle while truck is in reverse. Have them hold the handle over each sensor to check they are all working and all in the correct location.

I don’t know if it mattered but I turned off the park sense for a couple of days. Seemed like it worked better after turning them back on. Maybe a type of reset?

OP
OP
Gadgetech

Gadgetech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Thanks for the replies. The fix for the backup sensors was an easy one. I looked under there again today and noticed the wire was pinched. All good now.

Sponsored

dogbreath650

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ Rubicon
Would you care to share what the easy fix was for the sensors?

OP
OP
Gadgetech

Gadgetech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator

DougM55

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
What’s the reason for switching hitches?
The hitched on our Gladiators aren’t like the ones I was used to on TJs and JKs. On our trucks the hitch seems to be a structural part of the frame like a crossmember.

It’s not like buying the receiver portion and just bolting it on like the Wranglers ( not sure about JLs). If you truck didn’t come with the tow package the “crossmember” is still there but is tucked up against the bumper so you can add a hitchball in the hole of the bumper.

To add the 2” receiver you have to swap out the “crossmember” with the one where the 2” receiver is welded on. I found all this out after being rear-ended and doing my own work to put the labor monies toward other mods. Got hit so hard it bent the receiver.

While I was at it I replaced the rear bumper with a Magnum Raptor instead of using a new OEM plastic one.

77D6D0B6-2A1E-4054-8793-DB685D9A926E.jpeg

3D8374A3-00E7-4372-A5C9-AC5861FEE53E.jpeg

OP
OP
Gadgetech

Gadgetech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
The hitched on our Gladiators aren’t like the ones I was used to on TJs and JKs. On our trucks the hitch seems to be a structural part of the frame like a crossmember.

It’s not like buying the receiver portion and just bolting it on like the Wranglers ( not sure about JLs). If you truck didn’t come with the tow package the “crossmember” is still there but is tucked up against the bumper so you can add a hitchball in the hole of the bumper.

To add the 2” receiver you have to swap out the “crossmember” with the one where the 2” receiver is welded on. I found all this out after being rear-ended and doing my own work to put the labor monies toward other mods. Got hit so hard it bent the receiver.

While I was at it I replaced the rear bumper with a Magnum Raptor instead of using a new OEM plastic one.

Jeep Gladiator Problem - installed the MOPAR Class IV receiver hitch on my Rubicon 3D8374A3-00E7-4372-A5C9-AC5861FEE53E
Great looking bumper! I called my dealer and asked if they had the receiver hitch in stock, and they said yes. I showed up and they tried to seek me that bolt on Class II receiver.

Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I’m curious about the two Torx.

did you ever do anything? I just installed my hitch and was like, what the heck? Lol

OP
OP
Gadgetech

Gadgetech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I’m curious about the two Torx.

did you ever do anything? I just installed my hitch and was like, what the heck? Lol
No, I haven’t done anything with it as of yet, not sure I’m bothered enough by it at this point.

rEbell8762

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Reviving a really old thread here… I just recently purchased a JTR and swapped out the hitch for the class IV. Anyone ever find a solution for the two torx bolts that attach the bottom of bumper to the hitch?
Sponsored