First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Self
I went out to crank up and seems the battery is about shot. It didn’t have enough to turn over. I pressed the start button again, same thing. So I reached to get the jump box. Hooked it up and now across my message board it’s saying vehicle not in park, next message will say auto park disabled, next message will say transmission needs serviced do you may not be able to shift again until serviced. The problem is it won’t go to the off position now. The light on the button is on “run”. I disconnected the battery but all the lights are still on the interior saying the same thing? WTF how? If anybody has any suggestion it would be much appreciated
Sponsored

OP
OP

wbglad28

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Self
Typical low battery weirdness, sets of a bunch of warnings messages as it’s the equivalent of scrambled computer brain
After about 30 minutes I went back out and looks like some things reset. I’m assuming these vehicles have a secondary battery because like I said everything was still when I disconnected the main. Either way I hooked the main back up, and now it’s saying a completely different set of stuff that I’ve never saw before. I’m going to give my jump box a good charge before I try it again but at least it let me go the off position on the start button now

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
Yes our jeeps have a 2nd battery. It’s super f so mall under the battery tray of the main battery. It’s designed to help with the motor start/stop function.

Sponsored

dstephns

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 1966 Sunbeam Tiger
While I really like my Gladiator, in the two years I've owned it, I'm on my 3rd set of batteries. Everything else has been great. I had the same thing happen to me last time. Told me I was not in Park(it was), could not turn to OFF, one headlight on, windshield wipers activated, and dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Had it flat bedded to the dealer and they used a jump box to start. Everything normal, another set of bad batteries! All have been replaced under warranty. Months ago I read that Jeep had received a bunch of bad batteries and perhaps that's the problem. I hope so because it's expensive to have these replaced if you have to pay for them. I'm hoping there is not a parasitic drain somewhere in the electronics. I now carry my own jump box just in case.
Ninety-nine percent sure it's bad batteries.
Dave

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Jeeps all have parasitic draws. If you regularly park it more than 5 days with out using it, you should probably install a fixed battery tender to it.

Chestnut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 WRX, 2017 Forester XT, 2021 JTO
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Is the jumper needed to charge the Aux battery? Alternativcly is the mian battery and AUX battery intended to be charged separately?

Jeeps all have parasitic draws. If you regularly park it more than 5 days with out using it, you should probably install a fixed battery tender to it.
I feel like this is most cars. I have fixed tenders on my WRX as I park it for months at a time over winter. I also run tenders on my ATV as the battery is a PITA to remove for storage. Makes me want to drive down the road and slap the silly engineer in the Polaris building.

Tornado_6

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
I don't like ESS. I began turning it off as part of my engine starting procedure, but then started getting the warning light about ESS not available. I don't want it anyway, but also don't like getting the warning light. Based on the second diagram posted by Renegade, it appears that the aux battery does not charge when ESS is turned off. If that's the case, then is it possible that I'm only "draining" the aux battery and never charging it, thus causing problems with the system?

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Due to manufacturing and assembly practices, that "New" battery may have been activated a year or more before sale. No trickle charge. Another issue is the service monkey not properly charging the freshly filled battery. Combine the two and you may be lucky to get 18 months on a 5 year unit.

Sponsored

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
In the center right of the pic above it states that the batteries are intended to operate as one battery except when in start/stop mode. So I believe you can charge or maintain the big battery and things will work like a "normal" car (if the batteries are both good).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim

jjs3845

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Overland
So now I'm kind of confused. I saw Renegade's post on putting a booster on both batteries which seems kind of complicated for someone to be trying to get their vehicle home from being out and coming out to a dead battery and trying to jump it.

so to jeepin48's point, I was wondering about - I have one of those battery cable jumpers, and was wondering now if there's a tried and true way just to get the vehicle started to just start it, put it in gear, and get home or to a repair shop.

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Those diagrams above are gold ... I recall the JL thread and it seemed that the two batteries run in parallel. This increase in Amp Hr exceeds what most quick starters can handle. I believe the owners manual states to allow the jump vehicle to charge the dead batteries for a said period of time. "IF" I understand ... jumpering N1 - N2 ... and disconnecting the aux battery ground isolates the aux battery. Thus requiring the jump pack to only have to "amp up" the starter battery. Every time this comes up the Genesis Dual Battery system looks better and better ....

dstephns

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 1966 Sunbeam Tiger
I understand, and thats the problem. I drive my truck all the time(only vehicle). I drive it the day before putting more than 20 miles on it and it is perfect. The next morning...Kaput! No, headlights, overheads, ignition left on overnight and weird things happening when I try to start it the next morning. Couldn't even get it out park when the dash was telling me it wasn't in Park. I pulled the little strap to allow me to put in neutral so I could at least get it to roll freely and had Hagerty tow it for me.
Dave