Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer
It all started on a whim. Just after I bought my '17 new to me JKUR Jeep announced the Gladiator. I fell in luv... Built up the JKUR to a fun wheeling machine, but still struggled with pulling our 3,500lbs Travel Trailer.

That whim, led me to a test drive this spring in a used Gladiator with 5k on it. The dealer did not move on it, but offered a stupid amount of money for my JKUR. I tucked the trade in number into my hat and started shopping. Trade value went up, new vehicle price went down and the interest rate went down.

I left the dealer with a party in the front and business in the back.

Jeep Gladiator Project Reverse Mullet 2021-04-09 19.37.27
Sponsored

Midnight Rider

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S, RIP.
Occupation
Senior Construction Inspector
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats & welcome!

OP
OP

Shadowmaker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer
Promptly bolted on:

2.5 AEV Dualsport kit mostly because it was available and I am impatient at times. Plus the stock Rubicon suspension was too squishy for my taste, I could not stand the old Cadillac boat feeling when hitting dips in the road.

I am pretty disappointed with all the missing hardware that came with the AEV kit. For this kind of money, you would think that it would be 100% complete. Customer service was less than helpful, pointing me to their website instead of resolving the situation immediately when I called. I call, you answer, solve the problem.

Driving wise, my favorite suspension so far. I do a daily commute of 30 miles and crank it up on the freeway. It flexes great, tucking tires nicely.
Jeep Gladiator Project Reverse Mullet 2021-04-17 09.15.05

OP
OP

Shadowmaker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer
Milestar Patagonia M/T - 37x12.50r17

This is my 3rd set of these tires. Whoa they are expensive now in COVID times. I promise to run them at higher pressures on the freeway and rotate more often.

In hindsight, I should have just ponied up for the 38s. Tires are great in Moab, tows the camper and rides quiet.

Love Northridge and Discount Tire

Jeep Gladiator Project Reverse Mullet 2021-04-16 14.25.40

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shadowmaker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer
Literider Roll-up Cover

Added a simple cover for now to keep prying eyes out of the bed and keep the rain out. Truthfully, I can't decide between the Diamond back, a rack system or a topper. Quality wise, it does not keep dust out as well as Tyger soft cover I had on my F150.

Jeep Gladiator Project Reverse Mullet 2021-04-15 18.36.09

OP
OP

Shadowmaker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer
Body Armor Hitch Skid - Watched a lot of videos of folks dragging the hitch coming off obstacles, so I added a bit of protection to the butt. Truthfully, this was a good investment for $100. I picked up some minor skuffs on the bumper, but really, that skid got a workout.
Jeep Gladiator Project Reverse Mullet 2021-05-10 11.02.44

02sahara

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Construction
I was just looking at your pictures. Nice looking rig! Do you have an aftermarket tailgate cap by chance?

Sponsored

aqcjeepGlad

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Body Armor Hitch Skid - Watched a lot of videos of folks dragging the hitch coming off obstacles, so I added a bit of protection to the butt. Truthfully, this was a good investment for $100. I picked up some minor skuffs on the bumper, but really, that skid got a workout.
2021-05-10 11.02.44.jpg
Love Poison Spider trail, did it in a rented JLUR with 38s in June. Really curious how the JT would do on some of the obstacles. The JL was going straight up and down at times and the overhang from the bed seems it would cause major problems. But the JLUR made everything a walk in the park. Rig looks great here, got me wanting 37s and a lift again. Have fun!

OP
OP

Shadowmaker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer
I was just looking at your pictures. Nice looking rig! Do you have an aftermarket tailgate cap by chance?
Sahara, I am running the OEM tailgate cap. Do you think the aftermarket might make it worse?

OP
OP

Shadowmaker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer
Love Poison Spider trail, did it in a rented JLUR with 38s in June. Really curious how the JT would do on some of the obstacles. The JL was going straight up and down at times and the overhang from the bed seems it would cause major problems. But the JLUR made everything a walk in the park. Rig looks great here, got me wanting 37s and a lift again. Have fun!
Thank you, the bed overhang has turned out to be not as much of an issue as I thought. I did land stuff' on that skid, and chose some of the harder lines with good success. At the same time, I was trying to avoid bumper damage. Much to my surprise the wheelbase turned out to be not as much of an issues as I thought it would be. The Gladiator made easy work of the waterfall obstacle while one of our group members tried to endo his XJ.

aqcjeepGlad

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Fins and Things - What a fun trail!

Jeep Gladiator Project Reverse Mullet 2021-05-11 12.59.04

Jeep Gladiator Project Reverse Mullet 2021-05-11 12.59.04
Another great trail, don't forget to do Hell's Revenge and make sure you go out to the river overlook. THEN, don't go back the same way you came into the park. Continue to follow the loop around and come out of the park on the west side about 3-4 miles from where you entered. Some really cool rock gardens to crawl over on that backside. Have Fun!! Love Moab.
Sponsored