Proper bed mat solution for those in need

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Westin 50-6335 Truck Bed Mat https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F6XA4AC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gKHsDbHT4VZ5R

5'x7', $110 shipped.

That, a good razor knife and a hand full of blades, a good sheet rock square or straight edge, tape measure and soapstone or grease pencil. And sweat, the closer you live to the equator the more of that you'll need. Took about 45 minutes of measuring, lay out and cut. Fits like a glove, and you'll have some useful pieces of material left over if you think before you cut.
0806191904_HDR.jpg
Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Westin 50-6335 Truck Bed Mat https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F6XA4AC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gKHsDbHT4VZ5R

5'x7', $110 shipped.

That, a good razor knife and a hand full of blades, a good sheet rock square or straight edge, tape measure and soapstone or grease pencil. And sweat, the closer you live to the equator the more of that you'll need. Took about 45 minutes of measuring, lay out and cut. Fits like a glove, and you'll have some useful pieces of material left over if you think before you cut.
0806191904_HDR.jpg
looks awesome! :like:
good work!

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
looks awesome! :like:
good work!
Thanks, I was going to use the Tractor Supply 3/4" stock trailer mats, but it was going to end up either with a bunch of the bed exposed or pieced together and looking bogus. That one fits better than the factory cut one for my 2500 Ram(albeit not radiused in the corners)

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
F94FE09E-964B-4591-9A37-3446C52648A8.jpeg
Looks great @bgenlvtex. I have a mat on order, gets to me tomorrow. It’s 5/16” thick. I got one 7’ long so I would have enough left over material to also cover the tailgate. Getting mine from www.realtruck.com

I know that I will unplug my bike rack from the trailer hitch and will put it into the bed and will want to protect the tailgate from getting all scratched up.

I like the silver color of your truck. That’s one of 3 color choices I am considering. Also want to see a Gladiator in Sting Grey and in Gobi before I decide which color to order.

Hey @ralphjjr I looked at those horse stall liners and decided not to go with them. They are not big enough to cover the entire bed. So you would have to have 2 pieces in the bed and I would like the look of just one piece in the bed. They are heavy as can be and will more than likely have to be cut with a skill saw. And the ones I saw at Tractor Supply looked to be brittle. Some edges broken off in chunks.

I hate the idea of having to drill holes into the tailgate to attach a mat to the tailgate with screws. Anyone know of a better way to do that? Thanks to advise.

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
F94FE09E-964B-4591-9A37-3446C52648A8.jpeg
Looks great @bgenlvtex. I have a mat on order, gets to me tomorrow. It’s 5/16” thick. I got one 7’ long so I would have enough left over material to also cover the tailgate. Getting mine from www.realtruck.com

I know that I will unplug my bike rack from the trailer hitch and will put it into the bed and will want to protect the tailgate from getting all scratched up.

I like the silver color of your truck. That’s one of 3 color choices I am considering. Also want to see a Gladiator in Sting Grey and in Gobi before I decide which color to order.

Hey @ralphjjr I looked at those horse stall liners and decided not to go with them. They are not big enough to cover the entire bed. So you would have to have 2 pieces in the bed and I would like the look of just one piece in the bed. They are heavy as can be and will more than likely have to be cut with a skill saw. And the ones I saw at Tractor Supply looked to be brittle. Some edges broken off in chunks.

I hate the idea of having to drill holes into the tailgate to attach a mat to the tailgate with screws. Anyone know of a better way to do that? Thanks to advise.
That's the same mat I just put in.

I have had rubber mats and diamond plate aluminum on tailgates in the past, both had screws holding them on. It worked but in both cases the fasteners would always loosen up with time and use, I'd have to think on that for a while before I did it again

Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Fasteners as usual will be normal sheet metal screws which by their very nature will tend to come undone. I don’t know what it will help but when I install that tailgate mat I will try to insert some sort of superglue into the mat and onto the screws as well. I got no other bright ideas how else to secure the screws. If anyone knows of a better way to do this then I would love to read all about it.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Fasteners as usual will be normal sheet metal screws which by their very nature will tend to come undone. I don’t know what it will help but when I install that tailgate mat I will try to insert some sort of superglue into the mat and onto the screws as well. I got no other bright ideas how else to secure the screws. If anyone knows of a better way to do this then I would love to read all about it.

Could you use pop rivets?

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I suppose you could. But the idea is to make it so you can remove those 2 access panels any time you need to. And for the one lower section am certain you could use rivets there as long as you know they will not come undone.

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
Thanks, I was going to use the Tractor Supply 3/4" stock trailer mats, but it was going to end up either with a bunch of the bed exposed or pieced together and looking bogus. That one fits better than the factory cut one for my 2500 Ram(albeit not radiused in the corners)
I just picked up the tractor supply mat and although it's 4 x 6, it's super heavy duty, and I don't think I'll have a problem with the wind blowing it up. That, and it was 44 bucks. I know you don't wanna piece them together, but that is a huge price jump for basically what amounts to less than a foot of rubber.

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Silver Sport S, 77 trans am, Ducati 1098
Are any of you guys worried about water getting trapped under the mat?

Sponsored

Robieman

First Name
Robie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford F150; '20 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Are any of you guys worried about water getting trapped under the mat?
I've not gotten a Gladiator yet, but I have a factory rubber mat in my F150. No problems with water hurting the bed. I think I took it out maybe twice in 3 years just to rinse out the bed.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
974ABB15-410A-46B0-AA7D-E04192B8D600.jpeg
There’s little beads on the bottom of the mat for that very reason. They help to keep some air (or water) in between the bottom of the mat and the bed of the truck. Attached is a picture of the bottom of the mat from a tiny left over piece of matting that I have.

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
I suppose you could. But the idea is to make it so you can remove those 2 access panels any time you need to. And for the one lower section am certain you could use rivets there as long as you know they will not come undone.
Could you not buy the same thread size screws, but longer, and just use the holes for the access panels to secure the mat?

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I guess you could do that. But for me I’m done with that mat project. Mat is installed and well secured. Moving on to a bed step project, arrives tomorrow. Will post pictures of that in the bed side step thread.