First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Dodge dually, 05 Toyota Sequoia, 49 power wagon
Occupation
Retired
Running stock everything currently on my JTRD. Thinking on putting 35s, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
On a diesel, the only con will probably be that you're gonna wish you did 37s haha. You don't have to worry about the gearing issues like the 3.6s. But even the gasser is ok with 35s.
This

Take it from my experience, just go straight to 37s

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
35 pros: They look better. They provide better ground clearance. They look better. They provide a (usually) wider footprint for traction. They look better. They provide a longer footprint when airred down. They look better.

35 cons: should regear if running a gasser on 3.73s

Since you're in a diesel, the cons don't apply to you. Sounds like a no brainer!

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
As everyone has already said, not sure why I’m even posting; but, there are no cons to 35s on a stock diesel rubi.

I’ve been there, loved it.

I then added 2” of lift and can’t wait for my 35s to wear out so I can go 37s.

Sponsored

longhornlove

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition
So, I recently got a High Altitude overland diesel. I like the wheels, want to run spacers to keep them. Getting a 3 inch lift. Everyone seems to suggest I should do 37's. Is that correct? I shouldn't have any issues right? The shop doing the lift says it shouldn't be a problem. Insurance company says its ok just need to let them know what modification I install. I was planning on 35s but now I'm thinking I should do 37s.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
35 pros: They look better. They provide better ground clearance. They look better. They provide a (usually) wider footprint for traction. They look better. They provide a longer footprint when airred down. They look better.

35 cons: should regear if running a gasser on 3.73s

Since you're in a diesel, the cons don't apply to you. Sounds like a no brainer!
Add to that the benefit of better ride quality (in my case…at least). BFG A/T 315/70-17 (baby 35’s, lol) vs. Falken A/T 285/70-17…night and day difference. No more bone jarring bumps around town. Looks great, too.

Just looking forward to taking it off some sweet jumps.🤡 These really should have had an option for ~35’s as a factory option.

Jeep Gladiator Pros and cons for 35s on JTRD 0DB78373-DC07-4280-836D-68BABC998C25

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired
The stock 33" Falkens are one of the heaviest tires in its class. There are a number of 35" tires that weigh only 1 or 2 lbs more than the 33" Falkens. Therefore going to 35's shouldn't be a significant mpg or payload hit for a JTRD. If you're towing near the JTRD limit then 35"s would hurt narrow your margins a bit.

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing
There are no cons.

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Add to that the benefit of better ride quality (in my case…at least). BFG A/T 315/70-17 (baby 35’s, lol) vs. Falken A/T 285/70-17…night and day difference. No more bone jarring bumps around town. Looks great, too.

Just looking forward to taking it off some sweet jumps.🤡 These really should have had an option for ~35’s as a factory option.

Jeep Gladiator Pros and cons for 35s on JTRD 0DB78373-DC07-4280-836D-68BABC998C25
Did you see a big hit in gas mileage. I want to go from 33's to 35's but as a DD another hit in the gas would not be to good since I lost a few MPG in going from stock tires to 33's

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went from the same Falkens to the same C rated K02s.

I ran my Falkens at a cold pressure of 34 psi and the Bridgestones at 32 psi. The ride is definitely better.

in my case, a gaser with 4.10s, the decrease in grunt off the line can definitely be felt.
All else being equal at a given RPM you will feel 6% less forward push for a given throttle setting.

Fuel economy seems to be largely unaffected. I'm sure that it has decreased. But the decrease is small enough that its lost in all the other variability around my fuel economy numbers for a given tank.

I drive easy and late have been getting 17.5 in a relatively urban environment.
On highway road trips I also get about 17.5

Once I am at my place in NH, where I'm driving state roads with almost no stopping and speeds of around 50 mph, I'm in the 19 mpg range.

As a side note, I turned off the ESS for one tank full of gas in the urban environment and got about 16.0 mpg. So the ESS saves me 1.5 mpg.

If we do some simple math we see that it saves me just a bit.

300 miles / 17.5 = 17.1 gal x 3.60/gal = $61.56
300 miles / 16 mpg = 18.75 x 3.60/gal = $67.50

So over 300 miles it saves me about $6.
3000 miles $60
12,000 miles, about a year's worth of driving - $240

Hardly worth the added complexity of 2 batteries. But since I've already got the 2 batteries, I'll use it. When my batteries need to be replaced out of warranty, I'll go to a single battery and disable it. Its not worth $400 in batteries.

Holy crap. I really got off the rails. Ha.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
So, I recently got a High Altitude overland diesel. I like the wheels, want to run spacers to keep them. Getting a 3 inch lift. Everyone seems to suggest I should do 37's. Is that correct? I shouldn't have any issues right? The shop doing the lift says it shouldn't be a problem. Insurance company says its ok just need to let them know what modification I install. I was planning on 35s but now I'm thinking I should do 37s.
I have a Clayton 2.5" lift that gave more like 3-4" of lift. I'm running 35s on stock wheels with 1.5" wheel spacers. There is obviously plenty of room for 37s. I went with 35s to try to avoid a regear. Didn't work too well, it needs regeared. Mine is a 3.6L gasser. Will likely get 37s if I keep it for another set of tires.

Here is a pic:

Jeep Gladiator Pros and cons for 35s on JTRD Gladiator Doors Off Top O

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
If you don’t wheel much you’ll be happy, but if you do the con is the money you’ll drop on 37’s in 6 months to gain a little more departure angle.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Did you see a big hit in gas mileage. I want to go from 33's to 35's but as a DD another hit in the gas would not be to good since I lost a few MPG in going from stock tires to 33's
3.6 JTR here. Anecdotally (just watching the “needle” move), it seems to be a bit of a drop. I’d guess in the neighborhood of what @dcmdon reported above.

That being said…I always disable the ESS and my driving for the moment is 100% around town at x < 55 MPH, so any figures that I could provide would likely not be an apples to apples comparison for anyone here.
Sponsored

Reactions: BAT