Sponsored

Pro's/Con's putting Rubicon Suspension on an Overland

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland '14 JGC Summit '04 TJ Rubi
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking at putting Rubicon take-off wheels/tires on my Overland. I'm wondering if it would make sense to change out the suspension to that of a Rubicon too. I'm having a hard time finding the differences between the two sets. What are the pros/cons of doing this? Does the Rubi suspension let me upgrade to 35's without a lift? Any help is much appreciated!!
Sponsored

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
JT, often on the springs you will find a tag with a number, you can look up that part number or do a look see if they have a tag on a Rubicon with a different number..

That said and I do think ?? the coils are different on a Rubicon, bit extra height and possibly diff spring rate.

Now changing out spring is not a hard job BUT you have to get the JT way up in the air in order to get enough droop to remove the springs and you may need to disconnect you sway bar and you control arms...still no a huge deal, I have done many times. Given that is there enough value in the Rubicon swap to justify the effort?

You MIGHT want to do this if you are going that far: https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/2-spacer-suspension-lift-jl-wrangler/

This will give you an extra 2 inches...(ON your JEEP1), everything I am reading says you can run 35's on oem suspension and I think the Rubicons you can get a 37 in there. Bear in mind my thinking points to extreme off-road performance were CoG is NOT your friend. If you don't have any plans to play in Moab at the 4++ level then go ahead and give some lift as it does look good.

No matter the road your travel I tell everyone to think long ball...if you put on 35's today will you want 37's tomorrow?

Tell us what direction you chose...

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Now changing out spring is not a hard job BUT you have to get the JT way up in the air in order to get enough droop to remove the springs and you may need to disconnect you sway bar and you control arms...still no a huge deal, I have done many times. Given that is there enough value in the Rubicon swap to justify the effort?
On my JT Rubi I only had to disconnect the sway bar, lower shock mount, the 13mm nut on the lower arm (holds the brake line) and the 10mm bolt on the frame (also holds brake line). Put the frame on jack stands, leave the opposite tire installed, and use jack to lower axle enough for the spring to slide out.

OP
OP
JT614

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
JT, often on the springs you will find a tag with a number, you can look up that part number or do a look see if they have a tag on a Rubicon with a different number..

That said and I do think ?? the coils are different on a Rubicon, bit extra height and possibly diff spring rate.

You MIGHT want to do this if you are going that far: https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/2-spacer-suspension-lift-jl-wrangler/

This will give you an extra 2 inches...(ON your JEEP1), everything I am reading says you can run 35's on oem suspension and I think the Rubicons you can get a 37 in there. Bear in mind my thinking points to extreme off-road performance were CoG is NOT your friend. If you don't have any plans to play in Moab at the 4++ level then go ahead and give some lift as it does look good.

No matter the road your travel I tell everyone to think long ball...if you put on 35's today will you want 37's tomorrow?

Tell us what direction you chose...
Thanks for the detailed insights!!! I'll keep you posted!

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The only con would be a firmer ride. Everything else would be a positive in my opinion.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
As far as 35s yes they'll fit perfectly.

As far as getting the coils out, rent a coil spring compressor tool from the auto parts store. Take wheels off. Jack Jeep up. Put stands on frame directly behind control arm mounts. Disconnect shocks and sway links. Lower Jack and let axle droop as far as it'll go. Use spring compressor to remove coils. Won't take much.

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
If you’re getting the Rubicon springs, I’m hoping you come away with the shocks as well...those will definitely be an improvement over stock.

OP
OP
JT614

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you’re getting the Rubicon springs, I’m hoping you come away with the shocks as well...those will definitely be an improvement over stock.
And why is that? I'm trying to understand the differences across each of these components.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JT614

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Rubicon shocks are Fox, fairly decent quality.
I keep hearing this but I don't understand the differences in specs. Not sure where to find those.

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I didn’t need a spring compressor on my Overland the spring just falls out after drooping the suspension remove wheels after installing 3 ton jack stands because they are longer. Disconnect sway bar links lower shocks lower axle vent , brake line bracket & FAD plug & clips , install is the same backwards

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I’m still not convinced the control arms are any different or the sway bar links

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Last edited: