Sponsored

Rottwheeler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1974 IH Scout II, 1946 CJ-2A.
I am very interested in this product since, with the addition of an adaptive cruise control / safety systems camera on my windshield, what once was a ~$400 windshield replacement is now a ~$1400 replacement. How does this product work and how has it been tested and verified to work? Thanks!

Underground Graphics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undergroundgraphics.com
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, 21 Bronco
Occupation
Vinyl Graphics
I am very interested in this product since, with the addition of an adaptive cruise control / safety systems camera on my windshield, what once was a ~$400 windshield replacement is now a ~$1400 replacement. How does this product work and how has it been tested and verified to work? Thanks!
Hi Chris,

Think of it as a screen saver for your windshield. When I bought my Gladiator back in 2019 I immediately had it installed by one of my shop's partners. Back then it was $500 installed, hand cut, hand shrunk and hand trimmed. The first week on a drive to Dallas from Houston, I heard a pop. It was the first save. A small indention in the film, but no crack or chip in the glass! I ran this film for a year and unfortunately had a defect which was covered by warranty and replaced. The second film has been on since. Still the OEM, original glass. There are all kinds of small chips and some scratches (my fault for using a gas station window cleaner), but again, original glass. I could change it, but being my dedicated wheeling Jeep now it's just fine. Since then, I installed ExoShield on our shop 392 a year ago, it has 12k miles and no chips or cracks. And our Bronco has it (just got a new one, so new film). My point is, I personally have had great success with ExoShield. So much that UG decided to become an official installer and reseller once they made thier kits DIY. The ULTRA film is thicker, pre-cut and ready to install. Even comes with all the tools needed. Is is guaranteed? No. We have seen only two incidents of the film not capable of stopping a crack. But, 2 incidents out of 4 years is a good record. ExoShield offers additional windshiled insurance at additional costs to cover glass breakage, but must be purchased though official installer at time of install.

It may be best to watch these two videos:
Detailed Installation

Does ExoShield Film Really Work?

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! It's a great product, just trying to help our Jeep community as these windshields are expensive as you know!

Greg ;)

Iddpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTRD
Hi Greg, this is an excellent idea and application (had it installed on my Jeep), BUT how scratch resistant is the film?

In my case I had a shop put the XPEL film on the body of my Jeep and then a different thicker windshield protection film (They told me that there was a 1 yr warranty on the Exosheild?). The film worked great and saved me on a couple of direct rock hits. Where it didn't do so well was rain water hard spots and fine scratches. These weren't overly noticeable until driving into the sun, then at times it looked like a frosted window. Most of these fine scratches came from dust, use of the wipers, or as you mentioned a gas station window cleaner. Additionally the hard water spots were near impossible to remove and made the film a little "fuzzy" over time. I was obviously aware of the film and tried to be as careful as possible, and fortunately for me, the shop had a great warranty and replaced the "film" a couple of times. (This still ended up with lost time for me as I had to drop my Jeep for a day to have it replaced)

Again I think it's a great idea dependent upon the "scratch resistance" of the film.

Underground Graphics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, 21 Bronco
Occupation
Vinyl Graphics
Hi Greg, this is an excellent idea and application (had it installed on my Jeep), BUT how scratch resistant is the film?

In my case I had a shop put the XPEL film on the body of my Jeep and then a different thicker windshield protection film (They told me that there was a 1 yr warranty on the Exosheild?). The film worked great and saved me on a couple of direct rock hits. Where it didn't do so well was rain water hard spots and fine scratches. These weren't overly noticeable until driving into the sun, then at times it looked like a frosted window. Most of these fine scratches came from dust, use of the wipers, or as you mentioned a gas station window cleaner. Additionally the hard water spots were near impossible to remove and made the film a little "fuzzy" over time. I was obviously aware of the film and tried to be as careful as possible, and fortunately for me, the shop had a great warranty and replaced the "film" a couple of times. (This still ended up with lost time for me as I had to drop my Jeep for a day to have it replaced)

Again I think it's a great idea dependent upon the "scratch resistance" of the film.
Always a concern with windshield films. I do know this was addressed with the "Ultra" line, which is on my Bronco only. The Jeeps are still running the GT3, well the Gladiator maybe even a version before that. I've noticed no issues on the GT3 or Ultra from scratches, ...yet, but would recommend a ceramic coating. I think Exoshield had something in the works, but would think any brand would work. Also, only "wipe" when spraying water. I'll definately follow up on this and make note!

Greg :)

Sponsored

rezar1

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Do you have this for other vehicles or is it only for Jeeps and Broncos. I have a 2002 Prowler and the windshield on those are very hard to find. Would love to get something like this on the Prowler.

Underground Graphics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, 21 Bronco
Occupation
Vinyl Graphics
Do you have this for other vehicles or is it only for Jeeps and Broncos. I have a 2002 Prowler and the windshield on those are very hard to find. Would love to get something like this on the Prowler.
currently the DIY kits are only for Jeeps and Broncos. You should be able to find an ExoShield dealer/installer in your area. Visit the website for e dealer locater. Most dealers cut from bulk material and can be fitted to most windshields.

www.getexoshield.com

Greg :)

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
I just had my windshield replaced in Tucson for $353. I’m from WA so I am curious what a quote would have been there.

Underground Graphics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, 21 Bronco
Occupation
Vinyl Graphics
I just had my windshield replaced in Tucson for $353. I’m from WA so I am curious what a quote would have been there.
The windshields that have no sensors are significantly cheaper. (Think Sport vs. Mojave)

My Gladiator is a sport and glass is free of anything but a rearview mirror. My 392 has all that fancy stuff and the glass has the sensors. Regardless I still want the $199 protection. ;)

Sponsored

Underground Graphics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, 21 Bronco
Occupation
Vinyl Graphics
I live in Buffalo ny…nearest installer on the map is in another country…Canada. Lmao.
Not gonna sugarcoat it, DIY installation is scary for the first timer, but many people do it with great success!
Sponsored