Sponsored

Protecting the paint

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
On my first off roading adventure I went up some trails that had branches sticking out. Mostly brush, a couple fallen trees. I moved the big stuff out of the way but I still got smacked by brush and it dragged across the sides. I noticed that Tacoma's come with the option for a clear wrap of some sort. Is it necessary on the Gladiators? Or do they come with enough coverings to ward off small scratches?
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
The black hardtop and fenders scratch pretty easy. I use 303 protectant on all the black fenders and hardtop and that tends to hide the plastic scratches and keeps everything black and not faded. For the paint, you will have to buff out any branch marks and re-wax, just like any other car. Yes, a plastic coating like x-pel will help, but, I have not heard of people using it on Jeeps.

davetha

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeep.host
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Jeep JT
Build Thread
Link

Jeepjams

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 wrangler
Seems to me a wrap would protect the vehicle the most. Would like to hear others opinions on the subject.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So wraps, kevlar paint, 3M film, they are all in the $3-4k price range for covering the full hood, A pillars, doors, outer roof frame, and back panels of the truck bed. Adding full fenders and bumper adds another $1-2k. At least in the Cincinnati area.

davetha

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeep.host
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Jeep JT
Build Thread
Link
So wraps, kevlar paint, 3M film, they are all in the $3-4k price range for covering the full hood, A pillars, doors, outer roof frame, and back panels of the truck bed. Adding full fenders and bumper adds another $1-2k. At least in the Cincinnati area.
omg don't do Kevlar paint. You're regret it. Its a pain to clean and is nearly irreversible since its a paint.

Gray_Bison

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LBZ Duramax, Q5 Quattro 2.0T
Occupation
Maintenance Lead

At the 7:20 mark they talk about and demo the self healing of the paint protection film,

XPEL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
On my first off roading adventure I went up some trails that had branches sticking out. Mostly brush, a couple fallen trees. I moved the big stuff out of the way but I still got smacked by brush and it dragged across the sides. I noticed that Tacoma's come with the option for a clear wrap of some sort. Is it necessary on the Gladiators? Or do they come with enough coverings to ward off small scratches?
The best way to protect against things like that is to have a Paint Protection Film installed. The good news too is that film now comes in different thicknesses for different situations. For instance, the new 10mil PPF is perfect for rugged use such as taking your Gladiator off-road. It's very common for us to install the 10mil film on the rocker panels and other high impact areas and install the standard ULTIMATE PLUS 8mil thick film on the hood and other areas that may not get quite as beat up.

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
I have protective film (not sure if it's XPEL, it was part of a protection package from the dealer) on my Ridgeline and it's great at protecting from scratches and rocks. My only complaint is that after two and half years it's starting to peel and bubble a little along the front edge of the hood.

Sponsored

XPEL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I have protective film (not sure if it's XPEL, it was part of a protection package from the dealer) on my Ridgeline and it's great at protecting from scratches and rocks. My only complaint is that after two and half years it's starting to peel and bubble a little along the front edge of the hood.
If you can prove it's XPEL (ask your dealership for an invoice and warranty card) we would replace that for FREE as our PPF warranty covers yellowing, staining, peeling, bubbling, cracking, and more, all for 10 years from the install date.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The best way to protect against things like that is to have a Paint Protection Film installed. The good news too is that film now comes in different thicknesses for different situations. For instance, the new 10mil PPF is perfect for rugged use such as taking your Gladiator off-road. It's very common for us to install the 10mil film on the rocker panels and other high impact areas and install the standard ULTIMATE PLUS 8mil thick film on the hood and other areas that may not get quite as beat up.
I really like how you have pricing for the product available. Application cost will differ by region but it's good to have a baseline

https://www.xpel.com/paint-protecti...AND--Light-Trucks/2020/Jeep/Gladiator/Sport-S

JTsJT

First Name
J.T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Gator" Ford Excursion Diesel, Toyota FJ, Jeep XJ, Cadillac CTSV LSX Twin Turbo
I'm having the EXPEL ultimate plus installed this month. I believe the 10ml only comes in 6" strips.

Jimmij

First Name
Jimmij
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator overland, 2004 Honda s2000
I will be getting expel installed next week. This will be my third vehicle. Warranty is 10 years and never had a problem with them fixing any issues. Works great.