Protection for driving on sand?

T_Willys

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Looking to get a permit to drive on Assateague island this summer, should I consider getting any type of protection for underneath my Jeep? If so, should it be for abrasion or corrosion?
Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'd be way more concerned about long term effects of corrosion from salt water.

Door hinges s d the rear fenders may get sand blasted. Just be sure to wash it all off before it gets ground into the paint be anyone touching it or getting in/out

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I'd be way more concerned about long term effects of corrosion from salt water.

Door hinges s d the rear fenders may get sand blasted. Just be sure to wash it all off before it gets ground into the paint be anyone touching it or getting in/out
^This.

And get the undercarriage well too. Something like this makes life easier if you’re doing it often:

M MINGLE Pressure Washer Undercarriage Cleaner, Under Car Wash, with 45 Degree Angled Wand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RZYSL1Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HdLJEbXZYERT0

Newfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jl, 07 Ram 3500, 13 CRV
Undercoat/rustproofing, being doing it to all my vehicles since 1980, no rust. Rinsing after each beach use also helps. We live a block from the ocean. My cousin coats everything underneath with POR 15, time consuming, but this also works.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Undercoat/rustproofing, being doing it to all my vehicles since 1980, no rust. Rinsing after each beach use also helps. We live a block from the ocean. My cousin coats everything underneath with POR 15, time consuming, but this also works.
What do you use?

Sponsored

scgmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 GMC 2500HD Duramax, 72 Formula 400, Yamaha WR250R, Dozens of Kayaks and Canoes, Future Jeep Wrangler JL Owner
Airing down your tires so you don’t have to drive fast (to keep momentum to keep from getting stuck) has the added benefit of not throwing as much sand on, and in, all the crevices of your Jeep. Vehicles with lifts get the added benefit of not dragging their undercarriage when the sand gets really soft.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Off topic, but . . . If don't already have, get yourself a set of traction boards for the sand.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Carry a flat piece of wood that can be used in the sand to create a level surface if you need to use your jack.