Prying eyes to look then steal

JKABBQ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Corsair, 1991 P40
Well I think I got lucky. I’ve been carrying around cases of drinks, a $300 brand new in box Napier Tent, and loads of non-perishable food in the bed of my Gladiator for a couple of weeks now. A couple of days ago my partner and I took the tent out, then dropped off the food and drink to an outreach centre downtown. Woke up to see the end of the tonneau cover lifted up but not released. All I had in there now was a tarp and a single loading strap. I figure if it still had anything of value and they couldn’t figure out how to disengage the “lock”, they would have taken a knife and just cut right through to grab and go. Prying eyes were lucky I didn’t see them!

Jeep Gladiator Prying eyes to look then steal DFF3CD01-1D0A-438E-90BE-E5068B302C17
Sponsored

OP
OP
JKABBQ

JKABBQ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Corsair, 1991 P40
Posted this because there’s a lot of new Gladiator owners, and many may still not be aware as some sales reps at dealerships still tell people that the Mopar roll up tonneau cover is not secure or lockable without modifications. Or for that matter it can still be cut open with a knife but that’s a different conversation

flintlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
How do you secure the Mopar soft tonneau cover? Was planning to buy one this week.

Are there more secure roll up tonneau covers you’d recommend? Was also thinking about the Rugged Ridge roll top but forum post says it’s not very weather resistant.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
How do you secure the Mopar soft tonneau cover? Was planning to buy one this week.

Are there more secure roll up tonneau covers you’d recommend? Was also thinking about the Rugged Ridge roll top but forum post says it’s not very weather resistant.
There are two or three threads that show how owners secured them with hardware from LOWE'S - for just a few dollars. A couple of them are pretty easy to do.
I love my factory installed cover - but do wish it was harder to flip up to see what's in there.
Anyone serious about wanting into the back of a pickup will get there no matter the cover you have. I've seen some nice covers screwed up when someone took a screwdriver or similar to the side and pried them up. But latching the rear of these covers down stops all but the most serious people.
It's like almost anything - if someone really wants in, they WILL get in, no matter what it is.

In this case of the OP - if they hadn't been able to just flip the end up - would they have ripped it to shreds to see what was in it?
VERY possible.
We can't say for sure - no one can. Had his been latched securely, he may have gone out to see a knifed cover.

>> I figure if it still had anything of value and they couldn’t figure out how to disengage the “lock”, they would have taken a knife and just cut right through to grab and go.<<

Seriously, those red pulls are a DUH, 'pull here to open' signal.
Any kid could have figured that out. See a handle or a strap - you pull it!

OP
OP
JKABBQ

JKABBQ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Corsair, 1991 P40
There are two or three threads that show how owners secured them with hardware from LOWE'S - for just a few dollars. A couple of them are pretty easy to do.
I love my factory installed cover - but do wish it was harder to flip up to see what's in there.
Anyone serious about wanting into the back of a pickup will get there no matter the cover you have. I've seen some nice covers screwed up when someone took a screwdriver or similar to the side and pried them up. But latching the rear of these covers down stops all but the most serious people.
It's like almost anything - if someone really wants in, they WILL get in, no matter what it is.

In this case of the OP - if they hadn't been able to just flip the end up - would they have ripped it to shreds to see what was in it?
VERY possible.
We can't say for sure - no one can. Had his been latched securely, he may have gone out to see a knifed cover.

>> I figure if it still had anything of value and they couldn’t figure out how to disengage the “lock”, they would have taken a knife and just cut right through to grab and go.<<

Seriously, those red pulls are a DUH, 'pull here to open' signal.
Any kid could have figured that out. See a handle or a strap - you pull it!
I think this pretty much nails it...They’d get into the bed of my Gladiator regardless if they really wanted to. I’d rather they did exactly what they did. Just flip the end up and look inside. Nothing in there and they just moved along. No pry marks with a screw driver either. Just a reminder for me to not leave valuables in the back. As Shadowpapa has said though, there’s so great forum member mods detailing how they secured their roll up Mopar tonneau cover down. Just be forewarned that because it’s just fabric, a knife will just cut it open anyhow if they really wanted to look.

Sponsored

PEI-Gladys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JTR
Occupation
Ed Tech
Well I think I got lucky. I’ve been carrying around cases of drinks, a $300 brand new in box Napier Tent, and loads of non-perishable food in the bed of my Gladiator for a couple of weeks now. A couple of days ago my partner and I took the tent out, then dropped off the food and drink to an outreach centre downtown. Woke up to see the end of the tonneau cover lifted up but not released. All I had in there now was a tarp and a single loading strap. I figure if it still had anything of value and they couldn’t figure out how to disengage the “lock”, they would have taken a knife and just cut right through to grab and go. Prying eyes were lucky I didn’t see them!

DFF3CD01-1D0A-438E-90BE-E5068B302C17.jpeg

Here is a couple of things I did with my tonneau.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/oem-soft-tonneau-cover-fixes.33287/

Last edited:

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link

Jeep Gladiator Prying eyes to look then steal DFF3CD01-1D0A-438E-90BE-E5068B302C17
Here is a link to an easy mod to make it more secure.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ver-to-actually-lock.19118/page-6#post-363300

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm leaving mine as is - would rather not have the cover sliced or ripped up by someone who simply found out the truck bed is EMPTY.
Latching it sounded cool until I thought about creeps cutting just to see what's in there, and then finding it empty. What a waste - nothing gained, loss of a cover over an empty truck.

I figured if I was ever to the point of having something worth more than the cover in the back of the truck I might want it latched, but when empty, it will remain unlatched.

CMFINC

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR 1976 CJ5 2010 Raptor 89 F-150 4X
Occupation
DISABLED CARPENTER
Vehicle Showcase
i use a back flip on my raptor. like it alot. nice hard cover and locks with tailgate.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Our Safety boss had his Colorado ZR2 in a hotel parking lot on a trip north last summer. Someone pried open the hardtop tonneau and stole all their luggage that wasn't in the room with them. Locks keep honest people out.

i use a back flip on my raptor. like it alot. nice hard cover and locks with tailgate.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Our Safety boss had his Colorado ZR2 in a hotel parking lot on a trip north last summer. Someone pried open the hardtop tonneau and stole all their luggage that wasn't in the room with them. Locks keep honest people out.
I hear what you and other say - but honest people don't need locks to keep them out. They only need their honesty.
If a lock was required, they weren't honest, were they?
I don't even look in other cars, locked, unlocked, windows down, windows up, unless invited to or told it's ok to look. You can leave the thing unlocked, I won't even open the door.

OP
OP
JKABBQ

JKABBQ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Corsair, 1991 P40
I'm leaving mine as is - would rather not have the cover sliced or ripped up by someone who simply found out the truck bed is EMPTY.
Latching it sounded cool until I thought about creeps cutting just to see what's in there, and then finding it empty. What a waste - nothing gained, loss of a cover over an empty truck.

I figured if I was ever to the point of having something worth more than the cover in the back of the truck I might want it latched, but when empty, it will remain unlatched.
LOL are we on the same wave length right now...Initially I thought I would do the mods which I thought of when I first saw what happened. Then I thought the insurance premiums of having to pay to have it fixed, or prying damage done wouldn’t be worth it. Frankly, them lifting it up to take a peak is better than the damage to do the same.

JEERKJt

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I had the same issue occur on mine, as a temporary fix I attached a small strap with a ratchet to a bed loop and the end of the strap to the bar on the side of the folding tonneau cover near the red tabs release tabs then with the tail gate open ratchet the strap to tighent the folding flap preventing anyone being able to force it open with the tailgate down. Ill upload a picture soon

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I took my tonneau cover off. I think the gladiator looks better without it. Plus, it's just inviting theft because they think you have something to hide. Get a swing case and you can stuff your tools or small overnight bag in that. Thing padlocks, so unless they have bolt cutters, they won't be stealing anything. Anyone leaving anything of value in a jeep is asking for it, IMO.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
No cover, 3 "milk crates, 3 2×4s cut to fit to haul plywood :giggle: 4 ratchet straps, ammo can on rail, and 2 awning / tent poles. Maybe a few empty aluminum cans is about all I leave in bed. But that's why I ditched back seat. ;)
Sponsored