Sponsored

Pulsing random noise from right front wheel area

hosejockey61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000ish TJ, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Anyone else have a random pulsing noise coming from the right front? Through the process of elimination I have rotated the tires, put in all transfer case settings, engaged lockers, sway bar on and off, traction control on/off. The problem still exists. This noise occurs at random times and for a short period of seconds.

When driving down the road, I get a loud pulsing noise from the right front. Almost sounds like anti-lock brake noise. Speed change does no affect it, turning does not affect it, braking does not affect it. I have taken the wheel off to visually inspect and there is nothing obvious that I can see. The only thing I can say it sounds like is when a typically anti-lock brake system activates but this happens when I am driving normally and not applying the brakes.

I'm trying to get it narrowed down before taking it in to the dealer to get checked under warranty but I wan't to have it narrowed down so they don't just throw parts at it wasting my time until they get it right.

Thanks
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
If the problem happens in 2WD, then, goes away in 4WD, or when you switch your transfer case in general, then, have your FAD checked (front axle disconnect).

OP
OP

hosejockey61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the problem happens in 2WD, then, goes away in 4WD, or when you switch your transfer case in general, then, have your FAD checked (front axle disconnect).
That's what I'm leaning towards.I'll throw it in 4wd and see.

iblowatsports

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
I have this same exact issue and it goes away when I put in 4wd. I came to the conclusion that it's the FAD too, the dealership looked into and and 'supposedly' replaced the axle shafts in there. The problem I'd absolutely still there but they refuse to fix it, they say it's "normal" for a 4wd vehicle. If you guys have any better info or tips for how I could get this fixed, I'm all ears

Imjeli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK
I've got a random vibration in mine. Its random, last about a second, and varies in "firmness". It feels like driving over rumble strips. It's so random...different speeds and surfaces. Haven't driven in 4wd to see if it happens.
The dealer adjusted the alignment and a wheel weight first. Problem is still there. Then they changed an actuator and some bearings. Now they are replacing more front axle parts. We'll see if this helps.

Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Anyone else have a random pulsing noise coming from the right front? Through the process of elimination I have rotated the tires, put in all transfer case settings, engaged lockers, sway bar on and off, traction control on/off. The problem still exists. This noise occurs at random times and for a short period of seconds.

When driving down the road, I get a loud pulsing noise from the right front. Almost sounds like anti-lock brake noise. Speed change does no affect it, turning does not affect it, braking does not affect it. I have taken the wheel off to visually inspect and there is nothing obvious that I can see. The only thing I can say it sounds like is when a typically anti-lock brake system activates but this happens when I am driving normally and not applying the brakes.

I'm trying to get it narrowed down before taking it in to the dealer to get checked under warranty but I wan't to have it narrowed down so they don't just throw parts at it wasting my time until they get it right.

Thanks

Hi hosejockey61,
I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing trouble with your vehicle. If you do decide to bring this to the attention of your dealer, send us a private message do that we may provide our additional support during your service.

Kathryn
JeepCares

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
I've got a random vibration in mine. Its random, last about a second, and varies in "firmness". It feels like driving over rumble strips. It's so random...different speeds and surfaces. Haven't driven in 4wd to see if it happens.
The dealer adjusted the alignment and a wheel weight first. Problem is still there. Then they changed an actuator and some bearings. Now they are replacing more front axle parts. We'll see if this helps.
Hi lmjeli,
Thanks for sharing your concerns on here, we certainly understand why they might be frustrating as well. If you would like an additional layer of support while working with your dealer, feel free to send us a private message with more details.

Kathryn
JeepCares

OP
OP

hosejockey61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi hosejockey61,
I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing trouble with your vehicle. If you do decide to bring this to the attention of your dealer, send us a private message do that we may provide our additional support during your service.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Thank you.

Imjeli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK
Not sure if things have been worked out for you. I thought I'd list what was done for mine. They replaced the front axle intermediate shaft bushing and greased. Replaced R/F axle seal.
It's a $9 plastic piece that keeps the male and female ends of the shaft from vibrating/grinding together.
Very good description.

Sponsored

iblowatsports

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Not sure if things have been worked out for you. I thought I'd list what was done for mine. They replaced the front axle intermediate shaft bushing and greased. Replaced R/F axle seal.
It's a $9 plastic piece that keeps the male and female ends of the shaft from vibrating/grinding together.
Did that fix the issue for you?

Imjeli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK
So far so good, it seems to be corrected.
The service tech said it had a very slight amount of play compared to a new truck on their lot. Mine only had 4000 miles and was in four wheel drive once with the locker locked.

iblowatsports

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
I actually had suspected those exact parts after reading every article I could find about this issue, it's happened with other FAD trucks before. Would it be possible for you to get the part numbers from your invoice? I want to go to my dealership with the EXACT info because they're generally incompetent so far

OP
OP

hosejockey61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually had suspected those exact parts after reading every article I could find about this issue, it's happened with other FAD trucks before. Would it be possible for you to get the part numbers from your invoice? I want to go to my dealership with the EXACT info because they're generally incompetent so far
AMEN

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hi iblowatsports,
We are glad to see that you are working alongside your dealer toward a solution. While I see that you are also reaching out to fellow forum members for assistance, please remember that we are always available via private message for additional support during dealer services.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Sponsored