Puzzled Truck Won't Start

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
So I am not the most mechanically inclined person (LOL). I try to tinker a bit but my strengths lie elsewhere. Today got in my truck to run some errands and won't start. What I found strange was the brake pedal is really hard to push in and when I hit the start button I get pretty much dash flashes quickly followed by a couple of clicks but won't start. The dash and everything seem to be running ok like the A/C, etc but the truck won't turn over. I checked all the wires to the battery which look fine. Checked the fuses don't see any issues there or anywhere else. I retried it a couple of times but get the same results. No messages or anything showing on the dash. Checked for codes and nothing showed.
I was out and about in the truck all day yesterday with no issues. It was even in the shop about 2 weeks ago for an oil change, tire rotation, alignment, etc. The report back was that all systems were good including the battery.
There were no lights left on or anything in the truck at night.
I checked the voltage of the system using the dash info and it reads at 10.3 I know when it's running fully its usually at around 14.3 or 14.4.
Still searching the forums and net for some possible guidance but figured I would post up here just in case someone may have had this issue for a quick fix or something I am missing.
Don't have a lot of diagnostic tools in the garage that I can use to do much more digging but if something in particular is needed I am sure I could get it at the autoparts place, HD or other.
Thought maybe the batter is gone but not sure why it would go from working fine and all to just nothing
Sponsored

JoeJeep74

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys 2dr
Occupation
Service Advisor
I think you have the answer, 10.3 volts is not enough. Can you put a charger on or try a jumpstart with another vehicle? Todays AGM batteries die suddenly with no warning. I don’t know age or miles and unless you left a light on or something else to drag down voltage, you will need a replacement battery.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
So I am not the most mechanically inclined person (LOL). I try to tinker a bit but my strengths lie elsewhere. Today got in my truck to run some errands and won't start. What I found strange was the brake pedal is really hard to push in and when I hit the start button I get pretty much dash flashes quickly followed by a couple of clicks but won't start. The dash and everything seem to be running ok like the A/C, etc but the truck won't turn over. I checked all the wires to the battery which look fine. Checked the fuses don't see any issues there or anywhere else. I retried it a couple of times but get the same results. No messages or anything showing on the dash. Checked for codes and nothing showed.
I was out and about in the truck all day yesterday with no issues. It was even in the shop about 2 weeks ago for an oil change, tire rotation, alignment, etc. The report back was that all systems were good including the battery.
I checked the voltage of the system using the dash info and it reads at 10.3 I know when it's running fully its usually at around 14.3 or 14.4.
Still searching the forums and net for some possible guidance but figured I would post up here just in case someone may have had this issue for a quick fix or something I am missing.
Don't have a lot of diagnostic tools in the garage that I can use to do much more digging but if something in particular is needed I am sure I could get it at the autoparts place, HD or other.
Thought maybe the batter is gone but not sure why it would go from working fine and all to just nothing
10.3v ... I would think that you have a bad battery, or something was left on draining the battery. Time to put a charger on it and skip the trip. If you get it to start and head out with a bad battery, you could get stranded.

Mine did something similar, no codes and everything looked ok except the battery at 12.2v and no start. My battery was disconnected for 24hrs and when I reconnected the negative at the fender, I had what seemed a large arc jump. I was shocked that it did not crank. After an hour or so on a trickle charger, it fired right up. No issues since then. The ESS however is hardly ever ready due to battery charging message. The jeep hardly ever gets driven, so I think this would be normal.

bowtiejc

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Machinist
I believe your Battery is dead. Even not running, battery should check at least 12v.

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
All new vehicles are dead with any low voltage to protect the electronics... and sell new batteries.

Sponsored

Deleted member 30519

This happened to me at a gas station a year and half ago but I ended up getting it running. The brake pedal was hard and I count start the JT. After 5-10 minutes it finally went back to normal and hasn't happened again.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
Like other said… maybe battery… but don’t forget to check to make sure your in park if auto.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
I think you have the answer, 10.3 volts is not enough. Can you put a charger on or try a jumpstart with another vehicle? Todays AGM batteries die suddenly with no warning. I don’t know age or miles and unless you left a light on or something else to drag down voltage, you will need a replacement battery.
Batteries. Plural. You have 2. The way these are designed, chances are pretty good if one is bad, they are both bad and should be replaced.

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea I have it on a charger currently will see what happens. Just seemed so strange since yesterday it was working fine

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like other said… maybe battery… but don’t forget to check to make sure your in park if auto.
Yep have checked everything. Its on charger currently will see what happens and give it a test run if I can get it to start up around the local area a bit and then put it back in driveway and see if it starts up after sitting off for a bit.

Sponsored

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
Low system voltage. Bad battery.

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Low system voltage. Bad battery.
I always found the simplest answer is usually correct One from time to time I have this problem and and it is usually that the brake pedal is hard to push due to loss of vacuum and with a little gorilla force on the brakes while pushing the start button it works have also heard of the switch on the brake pedal going bad. A bad battery will usually at least click the starter also does your key fob work to open the door?

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So after having it on a charger for a while it has shown no signs of increase in the voltage. I tried jump starting it with power pack and with car but nothing. Still same results. All of the lights on the dash and in the truck just flicker, get click click but nothing else. All of the exterior lights are still strong as all of the electronics in the cab still function and work fine. But perhaps that is power from one of the batteries since I am not sure.

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I always found the simplest answer is usually correct One from time to time I have this problem and and it is usually that the brake pedal is hard to push due to loss of vacuum and with a little gorilla force on the brakes while pushing the start button it works have also heard of the switch on the brake pedal going bad. A bad battery will usually at least click the starter also does your key fob work to open the door?
I'm gonna go give your theory a try and put some heavy force on the break peddle and see

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm gonna go give your theory a try and put some heavy force on the break peddle and see
Well I gave it a whirl but no good. I pushed that sucker as far as it would go but nothing still just a flash and click then all the lights on the dash come back on.
Guess I will go get something tomorrow to test the batter to see if its actually gone. If so will replace it and go from their
Sponsored