GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So i just picked up a new Dometic cfx3 55IM. The specs said this fridge uses 1.1 amp hour @90 degrees, but i have had the fridge plugged in AC power for a day now and it has stayed steady at 4.0 amp/hour.
My question.. is the app providing inaccurate and not reliable information or was i misled by the specs providec by dometic?
Will this fridge perform more efficient on DC power?
Am i missing somthing??
After doing much reading on this topic i was confident i could use this fridge with a 100ah solar generator set up for several days but if it runs at 4ah I'm barely going to get 1 day before my solar generator is dead.
Please help, please school me. I hope i did not spend 1K for something that will not work for multiple day camping/overlanding trips.

Screenshot_20200604-211106_CFX3.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
GlacierGladiator

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So i just picked up a new Dometic cfx3 55IM. The specs said this fridge uses 1.1 amp hour @90 degrees, but i have had the fridge plugged in AC power for a day now and it has stayed steady at 4.0 amp/hour.
My question.. is the app providing inaccurate and not reliable information or was i misled by the specs providec by dometic?
Will this fridge perform more efficient on DC power?
Am i missing somthing??
After doing much reading on this topic i was confident i could use this fridge with a 100ah solar generator set up for several days but if it runs at 4ah I'm barely going to get 1 day before my solar generator is dead.
Please help, please school me. I hope i did not spend 1K for something that will not work for multiple day camping/overlanding trips.

Screenshot_20200604-211106_CFX3.jpg
I may just be stupid and reading this app graph wrong. Is this graph in the app showing me the current temperature or the Amps per hour its using. Now im super confused. I'm usually smater than this lol.

OP
OP
GlacierGladiator

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I may just be stupid and reading this app graph wrong. Is this graph in the app showing me the current temperature or the Amps per hour its using. Now im super confused. I'm usually smater than this lol.
Ok.. yeah I'm and idiot! It does not show amperage usage until it is working on DC power..duh! I should of known this.
Sorry for the stupid post

Screenshot_20200604-235026_CFX3.jpg

MotoBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2001 BMW M5, 2014 Yamaha WR250R, 2010 BMW R1200R,
Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
Not a stupid post! From what I've read, all or most portable fridges run more efficiently on DC power.

I'm curious, how and where have you mounted this thing? Do you have any pictures of how you've set it up?

I'm torn between the backseat, with the rear passenger seat flipped up, and kinda wedged behind the front passenger seatback. That way, its free from the elements, safer from thrives, and close to the cigarette lighter for power.

But eventually, I will want to mount the fridge in the truck bed (strapped down to built right industries side panels) once i have my RLD Canopy. The only problem with that is no DC cigarette lighter for power. Not a deal breaker, i can wire one back there direct to battery (fused), or even to one of the Aux switches (which I think can be set to always hot in the menus?). I do have the 400W inverter plug back there, but thats not something I want to leave on overnight.

Eventually when budget allows, I'll probably get a Jackery or Goal Zero setup and just run the fridge from that.

Just curious what you plan is!

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I have a Dometic CFX95DZW and it is very efficient. I can run my cooler for a week or more on my two 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries. (I have more batteries for sale at $600 each). I am in FL right now and I have the system in the bed of my truck and it is the greatest thing ever to have the 12V cooler.
As far as power usage, it will consume a great deal of power when you first turn it on and it has to cool itself down or if you put warm food or drinks that it has to cool down. Then it levels off to the advertised power consumption.

Sponsored

gonzoy5

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Not a stupid post! From what I've read, all or most portable fridges run more efficiently on DC power.

I'm curious, how and where have you mounted this thing? Do you have any pictures of how you've set it up?

I'm torn between the backseat, with the rear passenger seat flipped up, and kinda wedged behind the front passenger seatback. That way, its free from the elements, safer from thrives, and close to the cigarette lighter for power.

But eventually, I will want to mount the fridge in the truck bed (strapped down to built right industries side panels) once i have my RLD Canopy. The only problem with that is no DC cigarette lighter for power. Not a deal breaker, i can wire one back there direct to battery (fused), or even to one of the Aux switches (which I think can be set to always hot in the menus?). I do have the 400W inverter plug back there, but thats not something I want to leave on overnight.

Eventually when budget allows, I'll probably get a Jackery or Goal Zero setup and just run the fridge from that.

Just curious what you plan is!
Chiming in regarding mount solution. I'm in the same boat looking on how to mount it. Seems like this is the perfect solution
https://rebeloffroad.com/xplor-rack-fridge-mount-roe-jt-xbr-fs/

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I used the slide system that Dometic makes for my particular cooler. I didn’t want to drill holes in my bed so I cut a 3/4 inch sheet of marine grade plywood to fit and mounted my slide to that. I also have a small chest type toolbox with my batteries, charger and inverter mounted inside. I have been in Destin Fl since Sunday and everything has worked perfectly except my Renogy battery monitor quit working before I left. I ordered a Victron that did not arrive in time for me to install it before the trip. The two batteries have powered both of my coolers all week with only running the truck <30 minutes per day. Thursday it sat in full sun all day while we were out fishing. And the temps inside were perfect.

MotoBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2001 BMW M5, 2014 Yamaha WR250R, 2010 BMW R1200R,
Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
I like the rebel offroad mount, but im not sold on the slides, or any sliders for a truck/tailgate setup. It still presents a height challenge for my short wife. I'm lifted 2 inches and plan on going higher in the future too. I think I'll try to find some boxes/totes that can support a person standing on them, and use it like a step for her. Or maybe a folding step ladder, but thats kind of clunky. The RLD canopy I'm getting has side doors, so I'll be able to reach in over the side.

Mounting it in the backseat is fine for us for now, but will present a problem when we have kids in the next few years.

Jeep-Noob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4dr
FYI. They screwed up the design of the entire CFX3 line and your fridge has a defect that is part of an upcoming recall announcement. I just returned my 75qt for a refund because they want to apply a sticker stating they no longer want to have the fridge plugged into both AC and DC power. If you call the dometic recall line they can arrange the refund. Every other fridge maker including Dometic’s own CFX line can handle this dual power mode. The new line was intended to do the same, but they just made a design error or had the local Chinese production chain handle the details. NHTSA is helping them with the recall ;) since there have been some fires.

Calypso

First Name
Darron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Explorer
FYI. They screwed up the design of the entire CFX3 line and your fridge has a defect that is part of an upcoming recall announcement. I just returned my 75qt for a refund because they want to apply a sticker stating they no longer want to have the fridge plugged into both AC and DC power. If you call the dometic recall line they can arrange the refund. Every other fridge maker including Dometic’s own CFX line can handle this dual power mode. The new line was intended to do the same, but they just made a design error or had the local Chinese production chain handle the details. NHTSA is helping them with the recall ;) since there have been some fires.
Fires??? I have the CFX3 55qt and have had zero problems. Should I be worried? Send it back?

blackeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
You should check out this thread.

It affects "CFX3s manufactured between November 2019 and June 18, 2020."

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/dometic-cfx3-recall-info-thread.677869/

I am not sure why this information isn't on their website, and the only information I get from the NHTSA is in the form of PDFs and I don't want to link to a file you have to download but this seems very important, especially considering the cost of these units. If you paid for this premium product, you don't want to get stuck with something with such a flaw.
Sponsored