Question for folks with Rock Rails.

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
I'm getting ready to order a Willy's on Friday. My last 2 wranglers have had Side Steps, but the Willy's comes with Rock Rails. My concern with Rock Rails is there will be nothing to block mud/rocks from hitting the side of the doors from the front tires. I know from personal experience that Side Steps block a lot of debri from hitting the body of the vehicle.

I travel a lot of gravel roads and I don't want the paint being chipped up and etc. This is especially bad after it rains and the clay soil mixes with rocks.

Is this an issue for those of you with Rock Rails? Does the side of your vehicle get bombarded with rocks/mud?

Appreciate the responses, kinda down to the wire and running out of time.
Sponsored

Sontavaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lj - sold-cause im an idiot. 2019 blue rubi ordered and received. I need my LJ back.
Occupation
Repressor of civil rights
The rubicon rock rails are very tucked under the vehicle, they offer no protection from road debris or idiots who open their car doors hard in parking lots. I immediately replaced mine with roam frame mounted rails. Lots of protection now!

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
The stock rock rails don't do a good job of keeping mud, snow, and gravel off your hinges.

One thing I did was cover my hinges in clear bra and so far not a single chip. I'm also ordering Rokblokz mudflaps, front and rear just to use in the winter.

hschro47

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I dont have a picture but my sport had the mopar rock rails. It snowed here a few days ago and the sides of it were covered in snow. Just got a jlur that has rock rails and just from the drive home from the dealer the sides had a decent bit of slush on them. Not as bad as the snow but enough for me to consider getting something to help stop it.

OP
OP
basinite

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
Thank you for the quick and articulate responses. I kinda figured this would be an issue, so I'm going to order it with Tube Steps. Try something different from the Side Steps I've had on the last two. Mix it up, so to speak. I would think the Tube Steps should offer enough protection.

Thanks again for the input.

Sponsored

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
Anybody have an experience with the Mopar Performance Rock Rails (PN 82215129AB)? From the pics on the Quadratec and Mopar sites they look like they stick out farther than the standard Rubi rock rails. I was looking for something to protect from kicked up road stuff and or doors opening, but did't want full side steps.

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Does the side of your vehicle get bombarded with rocks/mud?
With the stock tires you have about 4-5 inches of front tire that is not covered under the front fender so there will be a considerable amount of crap flipped up on the side of your vehicle. With 2-3 inch step/rock rails you would cover some of that but not all. Like was mentioned above, a decent looking set of mud flaps would cut down on most of it.

willys_front_tire.png

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody have an experience with the Mopar Performance Rock Rails (PN 82215129AB)? From the pics on the Quadratec and Mopar sites they look like they stick out farther than the standard Rubi rock rails. I was looking for something to protect from kicked up road stuff and or doors opening, but did't want full side steps.
I have been eyeing these. They look great, replace the Rubi rock rails and use the same mounts. But even discounted, they are quite spendy. There was a thread where a guy did some rock crawling and these were pretty badly scraped and not as sturdy as the far less expensive rock sliders from Ace or others. I’m unlikely to do much hard core stuff, and I have concerns about rock sliders because the front two frame bolts you have to remove are prone to snapping off, which is an expensive fix.

so like you, I’m kinda mulling it over.

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
I have been eyeing these. They look great, replace the Rubi rock rails and use the same mounts. But even discounted, they are quite spendy. There was a thread where a guy did some rock crawling and these were pretty badly scraped and not as sturdy as the far less expensive rock sliders from Ace or others. I’m unlikely to do much hard core stuff, and I have concerns about rock sliders because the front two frame bolts you have to remove are prone to snapping off, which is an expensive fix.

Yes, they are pricey - wish some of the websites had more reviews (of course at the price they may not have a lot of folks buying them). I don't plan on doing big time rock crawling so not a huge concern there. Mostly looking for something that finishes of the underside and offers some protection from people opening their doors into other vehicles (pet peeve of mine).

MarkTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR

If you are gonna spend for rails I would get a heat gun and infrared thermometer for the install. Those bolts have red loctite and you have to get them HOT to melt it down. I reheated mine every turn and it was a chore but no snapped bolts.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Yes, they are pricey - wish some of the websites had more reviews (of course at the price they may not have a lot of folks buying them). I don't plan on doing big time rock crawling so not a huge concern there. Mostly looking for something that finishes of the underside and offers some protection from people opening their doors into other vehicles (pet peeve of mine).
If you're gonna spend that kind of money why not get something that's built better and actually useful should you decide to go off road in a year or 2?

DaK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392 XR
Having similar concerns I went with the below. They definitely keep doors and other hazards at bay. And unlike normal tube steps, they don't allow mud and debris to come "through" them as they are covered, so that stuff doesn't get through. They connect to the frame and are real sturdy.

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90105.htm

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
There are many options that are frame mounted and don’t require removing the body mount bolts. LOD destroyer just as an example. There are several though
^^this^^....OP, I got these, they keep the majority of crap off. I chose these for the ground clearance and they don’t stick out to far. There’s a crap load of different rails/steps out there, just wanted to give you first hand info on these, so you can add them or disregard them from your list of possibilities.....:)

D37CAD1D-0AFA-4675-B8CE-CED329BA2E55.jpeg
48C7B6A1-E315-4602-97C5-1BFD58C1B038.jpeg
2B187FCE-32F8-4558-928A-7A82FE6EF5C8.jpeg

Last edited:

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
I have the Moab edition, which (I believe) is the only version which comes with these rock rails as a stock feature. First of all, they definitely stick out further than the rails on the Rubicon. I also use mine as a step to get into the Jeep. It's definitely not as wide as the true steps on the Sahara's, but it's wide enough to get 80% of my foot on and use as a step. Now is it wide enough to truly protect the Jeep from rocks being flung? It will help some but not a complete guard.
Sponsored