Sponsored

Question for those who have recalibrated their Speedometers with a Tazer and/or the like.

How do you measure tire size?

• Total voters

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
Successfully upgraded firmware and installed my new Tazer JL Mini.

Question for those who have recalibrated their Speedometers with a Tazer and/or the like.
Sponsored

Planerdude

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I bought the “ECRI”, it will calculate the tire size while driving using GPS. No guessing. Very easy to use,

gerky18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I measured the actual tire and that got me close. Then I would take it out for a drive with a GPS app for the speed and adjust from there. I used an app and also Google maps to have multiple references. Also if you have the static speed signs helps to verify.

I used the jscan if it makes a difference.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
I have the Tazer. I have BFG Ko2 315/70 17. They are listed as 34.5 but mine measure about 33.6 ish from the ground to the top of the tire. According to tazer I use this measurement but I actually ended up setting it around 34.6 for the speed to be on.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I started at 1/2” less than the actual unmounted height as per the specs I read on tire rack. I used a local static speed sign in my neighborhood and a speedometer app on my phone. I ended up pretty much spot on.

Couldn’t find my tape measure. My wife is rearranging furniture, decorations on walls, etc.

Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Mark the tire, roll one revolution, measure the distance traveled, the divide by pi. You get the average loaded diameter this way.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Went to the manufacturers website and looked at what they put and bingo your done. Did that yesterday with my new Patagonia’s

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
Measure center of hub to edge of tire ACROSS, then times by 2. Got 34". Then reduced half an inch for compression on pavement.

firehog

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow; 2020 Chevy Silverado Duramax 3500
Successfully upgraded firmware and installed my new Tazer JL Mini.

I entered the number from the manufacturer spec. Its a 35” tire and measures 34.4”.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Stuck a long spirit level across the tire tread, measured 34.4 vs 32.6 for the stock Falken. I think there was only 34.46 or something in the Tazer, close enough. 2MPH low at 84 MPH according to GPS (speedo reads 82 MPH).

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the “ECRI”, it will calculate the tire size while driving using GPS. No guessing. Very easy to use,
Did you have to pay for the full version?

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
None of the above. Measure the circumference of the tire you run, down the center of the tire, on your rim, at your street pressure, then calculate diameter from that. Install that number as your tire size.

use the spare or jack up the truck if you didnt do your spare. Its the most accurate measurement, and accounts for the fact that the diameter of the tire parked is not the diameter of the tire at highway speed. Youll find this method extremely accurate. I have a 0mph variance between my speedo and my (unplugged) gps at 80mph.

jtimbrook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
I did mine based on how AEV used to determine calibration, measure wheel height from road surface. Get it drive it with my GPS running to give me current speed to make sure calibration is correct, if not set it for either a little higher or a little lower depending on the speed. Viola, calibrated! Keep in mind unlike AEV the Tazer's tire size settings have weird increments so it's not going to be dead-on perfect

Lo Tek

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Max Tow
Set to tire manufacturer’s specs then checked with a GPS app; was within .2 mph at 75 which IMHO is “close enough”.
Sponsored