Questions about Limited slip option for sport S

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S on 35's, Mopar 2" lift, `96 XJ, 97 ZJ, `99 Camaro LS1
Hi everyone, I've owned many XJs and a couple WJs, and most recently a TJ rubicon. I understand the difference between the selectable e-locker in the rubi and a trak lok type system which (and here is part of my first question), is obviously not selectable, but is this the same type of system that acts like an older technology "posi"? Basically I'm wondering if it's worth the extra 500 when building my JT, or just leave the max tow axles alone, and have an aftermarker selectable locker installed? I'm sure the factory limited slip option will be better for daily driving in new england snow, but what about when articulating off road? Will it lock up the rear when lifting a tire off the ground to keep my forward movement like a selectable locker would? What about components, i imagine the limited slip parts eventually wear out and would be an expensive replacement years down the road, as opposed to an e-locker being fairly stout and longer lasting? Thanks for any input. (P.s. I'm an adult, but still love whipping donuts and drifting around corners in empty parking lots during snow storms....so if limited slip will hinder this "fun factor" when trying to rip around in 2wd in the snow, please weigh in on that as well) thanks for any info....very much appreciated.
Sponsored

LidLess07X

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Recon, 2001 TJ Sport, 2018 Mustang GT PP1 with Roush S.C.
The BLD or Brake Lock Differential works very well and pretty much makes the Limited slip a waste of money. Read up on BLD and I think you will find a better use for your $500. They've been on the Jk since it was launched in 2006 for the 2007 model year

OP
OP
XJ2JTChris

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ahhhh BLD! This must be why my sister's 2017 JKU was able to climb the mountain of a driveway she has-in a snowstorm-without even engaging 4hi! I assumed THAT was limited slip. Thanks, I'll read up.

nerdridesbikes

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Colorado
Is the BLD standard? I haven't really heard much about it. Is it the traction control? Help! I know nothing!

Sponsored

OP
OP
XJ2JTChris

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The BLD or Brake Lock Differential works very well and pretty much makes the Limited slip a waste of money. Read up on BLD and I think you will find a better use for your $500. They've been on the Jk since it was launched in 2006 for the 2007 model year
I agree that BLD is really great and I think that it makes the LSD option a waste. But, I do not think it's been on the Wrangler that long. I went wheeling once in a new 2012 JKU Sport S and a guy was following me in a stock 2008 JKU Sahara. He couldn't negotiate obstacles that caused articulation like I could. I walked right up those twisty hills with ease, and he had to back up and get running starts. I believe BLD started being discussed around the time of the mid-cycle refresh in '11 or '12.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hmm... maybe it has. I found this excerpt from an article in 2008:

"In addition to controlling how fast the driven wheels are spinning, there is a feature of brake traction control that controls wheel speed side to side across a driven axle and is called BLD, or “brake lock differential.”

BLD does not care how fast the wheels are turning, just that they are turning at the same speed. It provides improved traction capability similar to a locking differential.

There are times when controlling how fast the wheels spin may not be desirable for driving conditions such as mud or deep snow. In this case, pushing the ESC button once (in 4wd high range) will disable the brake and engine portions of traction control that control how fast the wheels are allowed to spin but leaves BLD on. In 4wd low range, only BLD functions so there is no need to turn off traction control.

A Jeep vehicle with BLD will negotiate almost any obstacle or driving situation that a similar vehicle with locking differential will. BLD does require a change in driving style and more torque to negotiate the obstacle."

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I understand the concepts of BLD but had 2 questions.

Is BLD a feature on the Rubicon in addition to actual lockers?

Will BLD be active in 2wd High?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I understand the concepts of BLD but had 2 questions.

Is BLD a feature on the Rubicon in addition to actual lockers?

Will BLD be active in 2wd High?

Yes

No

Sponsored

MadMax

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
newbie here but, does the BLD system come standard on ALL Gladiators?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
When i ordered my'22 Willys it listed a LSD on the rear axle, not sure whats in the front axle

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since you live in CT, you might as well spend roughly the same money for SelecTrac. Then you can drive around on the day after it snows in 4 Auto rather than RWD.

4A is really the best way to drive around in the winter. One part of the road could be dry, then you go into a shaded area and its wet and frozen.
Sponsored