Sponsored

Radio volume jumps shortly after turning it down...

NJKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Ok, I am in the troubleshooting phase of this and would like to know if anyone has experienced the radio volume increasing by itself after turning it down. When I pull into my neighborhood, at stop lights or in a drive through line, I turn my volume down. The problem is it spikes sometimes back to the original volume, scares the crap out of me and everyone around LoL.

If this has happened to you, that is best case scenario (sorry, it sucks I know)

If it doesn't happen to stock systems, I then have to pinpoint what it is. I have the DS18 Soundbar and amp as well as the PAC convertor, so it would then be one of those not playing nicely.
Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Could be related to the UConnect feature where it adjusts volume according to speed, that is goes up higher as engine goes higher or speed is at highway. You can turn it off

OP
OP
NJKen

NJKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could be related to the UConnect feature where it adjusts volume according to speed, that is goes up higher as engine goes higher or speed is at highway. You can turn it off
I thought about that but I tried turning it off and setting it to 1 but still happens. I really appreciate the response though!

JeeperCreeper

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LE Gladiator
Occupation
Semi-retired
Happens to me quite often...
Turn it down in the drive thru of a restaurant... And all of a sudden it's blasting again

Any resolution to it that you've found?

OP
OP
NJKen

NJKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was there for the third radio swap yesterday and they were having issues. Supposedly the tech called Jeep and they told him to put the old one back in, they are coming out with a revised 8.4 unit to address the issues. Apparently, they will be in around the end of December.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Chris Blake

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR LE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Plumber, Daytrader
I was for the third radio swap yesterday and they were having issues. Supposedly the tech called Jeep and they told him to put the old one back in, they are coming out with a revised 8.4 unit to address the issues. Apparently, they will be in around the end of December.
Wow, third swap!! My unit radio the same thing, I guess I need to take it to shop

OP
OP
NJKen

NJKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Third time but for more than just volume fluctuations. Freezing screens and ghost touches have haunted my Rubi since the first week.

JeeperCreeper

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LE Gladiator
Occupation
Semi-retired
I'm just happy to hear that I'm not the only one this is happening to...

I'll mention it to the dealership at my next oil change

txt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jl Rubicon
NJKen
Old thread, but I was wondering if u ever solved the volume fluctuation problem? I have the 8.4 connected with pac module as well.

Symptom: random volume decrease/ random volume increase

However volume number on display does not change when the volume fluctuates. When the volume does fluctuate, any volume knob adjustment will return the sound to the previous (correct) level.

‘I look like a jerk when I pull up somewhere and my volume suddenly increases obnoxiously, lol!

Thanks for your time…

OP
OP
NJKen

NJKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NJKen
Old thread, but I was wondering if u ever solved the volume fluctuation problem? I have the 8.4 connected with pac module as well.

Symptom: random volume decrease/ random volume increase

However volume number on display does not change when the volume fluctuates. When the volume does fluctuate, any volume knob adjustment will return the sound to the previous (correct) level.

‘I look like a jerk when I pull up somewhere and my volume suddenly increases obnoxiously, lol!

Thanks for your time…
Well I wish I had a better answer…I have emailed PAC twice without a response.

I traded in my 2020 and picked up a 2021. It wasn’t until I put my PAC unit back in that the volume fluctuations came back. I pulled it back out, no fluctuations…Now given that my speakers all need to keep the PAC installed, I’m making do with one workaround.

If instead of slowing down and turning the radio down as you pull into somewhere, you slightly give it gas while turning the volume down, it doesn’t start blasting when you stop.

Sponsored

txt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jl Rubicon
Thanks for the reply.
Do u have a Tazer installed?
I might investigate this as a possible cause next.

Alanscott_1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
A&P Mechanic
I just recently started having this exact issue as well with my 8.4” uconnect. Although it only does it with CarPlay, and it only started I think after I downloaded iOS 15, or it’s a quirk of my iPhone 13. Definitely annoying though.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like its isolated to the 8.4 radio. Ive seen a handful of posts on the forums over the last couple months with issues related to that unit specifically. Im interested to see if the "new" one another user posted about has an effect.

Ive wanted to update to the 8.4 but put that project on hold until the issues are all sorted out.

OP
OP
NJKen

NJKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply.
Do u have a Tazer installed?
I might investigate this as a possible cause next.
I have one but I haven’t put it back in after getting axle leak fixed.

It is the PAC unit, no need to investigate anything else. Well, that’s my case at least…

Error in code for speed adjusted volume is my bet.
Sponsored

Reactions: txt