Sponsored

Radios for safety/emergencies?

ArmyJeepGuy666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Hello everyone, had a question regarding radios....So my wife and I like to go out and explore as well as camp. The places we go sometimes doesn’t have cell coverage. My question is, would a radio/CB/VHF or something similar work, for an emergency? As in, we would be able to hop on and contact for help? I’ve never owned a radio unit in a civilian vehicle...any insight is super appreciated!
Sponsored

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
This comes up every now and then and you will get 100 replies and some are valid and swome are not. If you plan to travel in places you cant get help via cellular, most likely you wont get a radio to work for the majority of the time. Your best bet is to purchase a SPOT or another satallite communicator. I know the SPOT is cheap (basic) model and can just turn on when you plan to travel vs a yearly fee. Garmin also makes one that I like (Garmin InReach Mini)

All of the ones on the market run about $10-20 a month fee, but most do not require a subscription.

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
As noted above, a satellite communicator is your best bet. CB radios have very little reach so would not be uselful for your purpose. I recommend the Garmin inReach because it allows 2-way communication...either between you and emergency services or you and family/friends.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Like others have said radio might not get you far. You would first need a ham radio license to be able to use VHF/UHF. Secondly you would need to preprogram all the area repeaters before you go out, you really won't be able to just scan for a repeater. even if you find one somehow by scanning you won't have the proper offsets to talk on it.

GMRS might be an option if the area you are going has a repeater. Not likely but not out of question either. You would need a license and an approved type radio to use on their.

OP
OP
ArmyJeepGuy666

ArmyJeepGuy666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Thanks for the responses. I think I'll stick to the sat coms. Thanks!!
Sponsored