Rain X fluid and Low Washer Fluid Sensor

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I didn't believe anyone on this, until it happened to me. I've always used rain-x fluid in everything, for as long as I've been driving. Nary an issue, until about a month ago, when I started getting false low fluid warnings and beeps every time I started my jeep. So I just disabled the low fluid sensor in jscan. Now I know it's low when it stops working. I top it off all the time anyway. I'm going to keep using rain-x, because I love that stuff. So there's no point for me in getting the sensor fixed, just to break it again in a year.

But for anyone who really cares about maintaining that low washer fluid warning, just a warning: Rain-X may eventually foul it up.

You can still use the kind that you spread on the windshield by hand, of course. But I use both.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NachoRuby

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Try putting a little vinegar in the reservoir. Might clean up the problem.
Could certainly be worth a shot. I was thinking of maybe some extra methanol or something like that. Vinegar is worth a go. I just turned the sensor off, because the beep and message every time I left for work in the morning was annoying. And that symbol was staying on the gauge cluster all the time. I kept thinking it was a CEL out of the corner of my eye.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Rain-X fouled the sensors in my Power Wagon and Grand Cherokee. Local dealer said that they have replaced dozens of sensors. It leaves a coating on the probes on the sensor. The sensor is basically a conductivity probe.

OP
OP
NachoRuby

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rain-X fouled the sensors in my Power Wagon and Grand Cherokee. Local dealer said that they have replaced dozens of sensors. It leaves a coating on the probes on the sensor. The sensor is basically a conductivity probe.
I wonder why it never fouled my STIs or VWs? Maybe they use a float instead? Not sure. I'd seen the warnings before on this forum, I think even from you.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there any rains fluid that is worst.

I swear by that stuff. In the summer, I run the bug and tree sap version, in the winter I use a deep freeze version.

I've never had a problem with it, but my Jeep is only 6 months old and it took me a month to run the factory stuff out.

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Going on 2 years with all season Rainx in and no issues so far.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I didn't believe anyone on this, until it happened to me.
That is a common sentiment when the subject comes up about Rain-X. There is no rhyme or reason why some people claim to never have an issue and those that say they do have an issue must be doing something wrong.

I have had the stuff slime up a level sensor, clog a pump and even clog a nozzle on separate vehicles.

I avoid it now.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I use the cheap blue stuff mixed with distilled water. Three years, so far, with no issues.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
Maybe this is what happened to my 370z. The light has been stuck on for months but I haven’t done anything about it yet. Vinegar? Will the spray mess with the paint?

KidBobot

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator Mojave, 17 Sienna, 92 VW Cabriolet
I can't really prove it, but I feel like Rain-X shortens the lifespan of my wiper-blades, making them very stiff/non-pliable sooner than they should.
I never put that stuff in my reservoir. Rather, I just apply it occasionally directly to my windshield with a spray-bottle and towel.

On a related note, one of the few silver linings of COVID for me was discovering a product call Clarifii that a friend of mine recommended to keep my glasses from fogging up. I soon found out that you could apply it to the inside of your windshield to limit fogging, as well as your side-mirrors and back-up camera to avoid droplets. Stuff actually works great. I imagine it might work on the outside of the windshield but I haven't tried applying it.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
I used the orange stuff on a white vehicle and it left orange residue everywhere and against my better judgement I tried the green in my JT and same thing. I used a fluid handpump to get it out. The good ol -20 blue has never done me wrong.

Marlinvx

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTD, 2022 Audi Q3 S line
Occupation
Retired Navy, current Engineer
Just aquapel your windshield once a year, and don't worry about fancy fluids (other than winter mix) ever again. Aquapel is like rain-x, a hydrophobic coating, but it lasts for several months to a year. You will know it's time to do it again when the wipers start skipping...similar to rain-x.
Sponsored