First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
Thought some might find this interesting. Guy does a tear down of a 14+ Dodge Ram 3.0L Eco Diesel engine. I suspect it is probably the same engine being put in the diesel Gladiator. I'll save my thoughts on this engine for later.

Sponsored

M390

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Ecodiesel
Thought some might find this interesting. Guy does a tear down of a 14+ Dodge Ram 3.0L Eco Diesel engine. I suspect it is probably the same engine being put in the diesel Gladiator. I'll save my thoughts on this engine for later.

You suspect wrong, that’s a 2nd Gen Ecodiesel and many failure points have been addressed from there. I’m not saying the latest Gen is bulletproof by any means but time will tell. Supposedly 85% of the engine has been changed from that iteration to now. I’d reserve your thoughts until there’s actually some history out there on the latest version.

OP
OP
cb4017

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
You suspect wrong, that’s a 2nd Gen Ecodiesel and many failure points have been addressed from there. I’m not saying the latest Gen is bulletproof by any means but time will tell. Supposedly 85% of the engine has been changed from that iteration to now. I’d reserve your thoughts until there’s actually some history out there on the latest version.
Thanks! I'll just continue to keep my thoughts to myself. Glad the engine has been improved. Still thought it was an interesting video though. He has no history on that engine so who knows what the heck happened to it.

M390

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Ecodiesel
Thanks! I'll just continue to keep my thoughts to myself. Glad the engine has been improved. Still thought it was an interesting video though. He has no history on that engine so who knows what the heck happened to it.
I know the 2nd Gens weren’t without their issues. Hope for my Gladiators sake the 3rd variation is way better.

Chopperace

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Jeep Chrysler should have named the 3rd gen something else or changed the displacement slightly to 3.2. Everyone has heard the horror stories of the earlier models and assumes it’s unchanged

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Jeep Chrysler should have named the 3rd gen something else or changed the displacement slightly to 3.2. Everyone has heard the horror stories of the earlier models and assumes it’s unchanged
That's why they put "Gen 3" clearly on the window stickers so that people know.

My experience is that people who are new to diesels and are thinking about making the Gladiator EcoDiesel their first diesel purchase have never heard of the Gen 2 engine, and people who are enthusiasts already know that the Gen 3 is 80% revised. So I don't think the poor reputation of the Gen 2 engine really hurts sales.

Chopperace

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
That's why they put "Gen 3" clearly on the window stickers so that people know.

My experience is that people who are new to diesels and are thinking about making the Gladiator EcoDiesel their first diesel purchase have never heard of the Gen 2 engine, and people who are enthusiasts already know that the Gen 3 is 80% revised. So I don't think the poor reputation of the Gen 2 engine really hurts sales.
I wish that was the case but I’ve had dealers tell me they won’t stock the Ecodiesel because of problems with the gen 1 and 2. They don’t trust the redesign.
Sponsored