• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Raptor J Brace Install

mtesni

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Ranger Raptor, 23 Bronco Badlands
Just wanted to share some in progress images for the j brace installation on a US Spec Raptor. Currently have the drivers side apart getting ready to cut for the brace. I ended up taking off the whole fender flare and dropping most of the liner. Only needed to drill out the single rivet on the front to get this far. I'll update and add information for the Passenger side as I get there.

Ford Ranger Raptor J Brace Install 1000000940
Ford Ranger Raptor J Brace Install 1000000944
Ford Ranger Raptor J Brace Install 1000000941
Ford Ranger Raptor J Brace Install 1000000943
Ford Ranger Raptor J Brace Install 1000000942

JCSIX13

First Name
JACK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Elevator mechanic
lookig forward to see your full write up.

Crapblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Powerboost King Ranch, 2024 HPR Ranger Raptor
Got mine ordered, this will help with the install.

OP
OP
mtesni

mtesni

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Ranger Raptor, 23 Bronco Badlands
Alright so ultimately this is not a hard installation, however it did not exactly line up with the instructions Ford has posted online as well as what came with the kit I ordered. The instructions indicate that you can slide the wheel well liner out from behind the loosened fender flare which at least on the Raptor is not possible. I'll add some pictures and context below...

Ford Ranger Raptor J Brace Install PXL_20240427_190130236

This shows the Drivers Side once the flare was fully removed. Notice how there is a lip with holes for fasteners that wraps up behind the flare. To get to this point I removed every visible bolt and clip on both the liner and flare as well as drilled out the single rivet at the front. Then starting at the front / bottom of the flare reached up behind and squeezed the clips and pushed them put from behind. My goal was to loosen the flare enough to remove the front plastic splash shield, this gave much more access to additional clips on the flare. From there it was a game of removing a flare clip or to to be able to gain access to remove a liner clip or to and work my way up. For the rear i was able to remove the flare without drilling out the two rivets which connect to the plastic splash shield. Again worked from the bottom up to the top pushing the flare clips out from behind. Several of the flare clips slid right out of their mounts on the flare as i changed the angle for additional access but all went back in without issue. I broke exactly zero clips using this method which was good because the online instructions show I should have received 6 replacements with the kit but did not receive any.

Ford Ranger Raptor J Brace Install PXL_20240427_190208859

Here is a shot of the drivers side flare showing all the clip locations that need to be removed.

Ford Ranger Raptor J Brace Install PXL_20240427_190146644

I was able to peel the liner down enough to reveal this. Which once again doesn't line up with instructions. This time for the better as there was no need to relocate any hoses or wiring as indicated. I did notice that the drain tube for the weep hole under the fuel filler was not connected so I fixed that while I was in there.

Ford Ranger Raptor J Brace Install PXL_20240427_194347736

Cut and painted the corner as needed to slide the nuts up the channel. I used a oscillating multi tool with a metal blade which made quick work of the thin metal with no sparks near the gas tank. Cleaned up burrs with a die grinder to save my fingers.

Ford Ranger Raptor J Brace Install PXL_20240427_201708125

New brace fully installed. When sliding up the piece with the nuts on it I found it much easer to temporarily use a bolt in the bottom hole so I didn't have to fight it moving trying to thread the bolt up top. Torqued to spec. Reinstallation of the liners and flares was much easier. The entire liner can go back by itself then add the flare on top.

Ford Ranger Raptor J Brace Install PXL_20240502_151310059

One thing to note was that the replacement rivets are gigantic. My hand riveter only goes up to 3/16 so it was not large enough to install the supplied replacement. However, i found it much easer to slightly enlarge the hole and run a 8mm x 1.25 tap thorough the hole and use a bolt. This would allow much easier removal in the future if ever needed. I know the sheet metal is thin however its holding on a felt liner along with a couple dozen other fasteners so I'm not worried.

The passenger side is just a mirror image, nothing of note other than once again no wiring or hoses to be relocated.

Ford Ranger Raptor J Brace Install PXL_20240427_210412707.MP
Ford Ranger Raptor J Brace Install PXL_20240427_210422397
Ford Ranger Raptor J Brace Install PXL_20240427_230925725
Ford Ranger Raptor J Brace Install PXL_20240502_151320744

a77cj7

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Ranger
Just did the drivers side of mine tonight. Much the same experience.

Had to completely remove flare as the flare clips pulled off flare instead of body.

Had a few of the plastic rivets break when the center wouldn’t back out with screwdriver. Was a nice pile included in hardware bag with kit, so no problem.

I only removed the front rivet as well. I just replaced it with one of the included plastic rivets for easy future removal. I can’t see how the hard connection is necessary.

Sponsored

StillwaterRaptor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Ranger Raptor Cactus Grey
Did mine today too.
1. this install was just tedious
2. The included rivets are gigantic.
3. Instead of tapping the riven hole, I installed a rivnut / nutcert and then reassembled.
I’m happy it’s done as I plan to add a Kuat ibex rack.
The next issue with that will be that the rack can’t sit on the plastics bed caps. Will probably mill some aluminum spacers for the rack to sit on.
Some real peculiar choices by ford here

jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ranger XLT 4x2
One thing to note was that the replacement rivets are gigantic
The rivets are 1/4" so the right tool is.....
Ford Ranger Raptor J Brace Install Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 08.56.03

or
Ford Ranger Raptor J Brace Install Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 08.56.26

I'm using option 2 when I install mine. The non-raptor version has 8 rivets.

cc1999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford 2dr Bronco / 2021 RAM TRX
The rivets are 1/4" so the right tool is.....
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 08.56.03.png

or
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 08.56.26.png

I'm using option 2 when I install mine. The non-raptor version has 8 rivets.
Would you have any links or recommendations on where to buy these correct rivet tools?

sikedsyko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 RRaptor, 05 Z4
Where are y'all getting the J-Brace kit? I ordered mine direct from Ford 2 weeks ago and its still on backorder.

Sponsored

a77cj7

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Ranger
I ordered my kit from ford with points from truck purchase.

My only addition after doing the passenger side is that jacking the truck up gives significantly more room to work. It allows you more space to make sure the drill is centered on the rivet too.
I used a floor jack under the lowercontrol arm frame attachment, and lifted the truck till the tire was barely lifting.

I also didn’t have to break any plastic rivets on this side, I found almost no down pressure on the screwdriver helped the centers back out.

snowmanoz

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
ffs….from my dealer, I cannot believe Ford

“Hi Stewart, I’m not in the office right now, but wanted to give you an update. After speaking more with both my service department and body shop, and after their further research into installing the K braces for you, both departments are declining the install here at our location. Looks like the install is more invasive and complex than anticipated, and they do not feel comfortable with it. They are recommending a facility that specializes in custom modifications/installs.”

cc1999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After looking at my Rivet gun it won't go up to 1/4 inch, so I ordered one of these off Amazon today for 35 bucks. Once I get those fenders all pulled apart I don't want to be stuck not having the right tools to complete the job.

I am sure my level of irritation or frustration with having to do this project at all, is going to increase substantially. LOL

Why Ford is not putting these on during the production process of the bed is absolutely 100% unacceptable.

For a company that wants to improve their quality or lack there of quality image, this sort of crap is not cutting it. LOL

Ford Ranger Raptor J Brace Install 1715028969099-b4

Rapture2423

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor

“Hi Stewart, I’m not in the office right now, but wanted to give you an update. After speaking more with both my service department and body shop, and after their further research into installing the K braces for you, both departments are declining the install here at our location. Looks like the install is more invasive and complex than anticipated, and they do not feel comfortable with it. They are recommending a facility that specializes in custom modifications/installs.”
That's a crappy dealer. Mine let me watch while they documented it for future installs. They did a great job. I bought the mechanic Chipotle lol

cc1999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Wow that’s nuts. It doesn’t look that tough to install.
‘Yet another reason Ford should have installed these at the plant when the bed was being assembled.
Sponsored