Sponsored

RCV axles

cayman42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I have a 2021 Mojave. RCV performance is telling me the Mojave has the wide axle so they say the Front axle kit is the CVj44-JT-FAD-MAX.
Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks
Sponsored

JonRJackson

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
I have a 2021 Mojave. RCV performance is telling me the Mojave has the wide axle so they say the Front axle kit is the CVj44-JT-FAD-MAX.
Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks
found this online

" So, to recap, the Rubicon package’s front axle is the wide-track third-gen Dana 44 front with 10mm axle tubes, aluminum steering knuckles, 4.10 gears, and Tru-Lok electric locking differential. The Mojave package’s front axle is the wide-track third-gen Dana 44 front with 10mm axle tubes, cast-iron steering knuckles, 4.10 gears, and an open differential. And both the Rubicon and Mojave packages’ rear axles are the same third-gen Dana 44s with 4.10 gears and Tru-Lok electric locking differential. "

looks like they are the same wide track axles but mojave has cast-iron knuckles. Hope that helps.

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks
Reviving an old thread, but @cayman42 did you buy the RCV front axle? How has your experience been? This is an upgrade I'd love to get to get rid of crab-walk.

Were you able to get anything for your used Dana 44?

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing
Reviving an old thread, but @cayman42 did you buy the RCV front axle? How has your experience been? This is an upgrade I'd love to get to get rid of crab-walk.

Were you able to get anything for your used Dana 44?
I know you didn't ask for it, but here's my 2 cents. DO IT. I've had RCVs in my 08 JK for about 5 or 6 years and just bought a 21 JTRD with the stock shafts. I absolutely forgot about how harsh the ujoints feel. RCVs are 100% on my wish list for the new truck.

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I know you didn't ask for it, but here's my 2 cents. DO IT. I've had RCVs in my 08 JK for about 5 or 6 years and just bought a 21 JTRD with the stock shafts. I absolutely forgot about how harsh the ujoints feel. RCVs are 100% on my wish list for the new truck.
No worries - that's absolutely the feedback I'm looking for. If I could get a little for the used Dana 44 I already have (stock JTR), that would make the decision easier.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver

Mdean

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employed
Hello everyone,
I just put RCV axles in my gladiator Rubicon. At the same time I replaced the knuckles with reid knuckles, the ball joints with Danatrac rebuildable ball joints, and Artech industries truss. I went with the one piece axle shaft to eliminate the fad.

After doing these upgrades, when I drive down the freeway at about 60 to 80 miles an hour I get a cavitation sound from the front end. Any ideas?

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Fluid level correct in the diff?

The only other thing that I can think of is the FAD delete. You bolted the FAD back in place. Without the sleeve of course. Just have the fork on the FAD sticking into the axle housing. Or you completely eliminated everything?

Mdean

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employed
Fluid level correct in the diff?

The only other thing that I can think of is the FAD delete. You bolted the FAD back in place. Without the sleeve of course. Just have the fork on the FAD sticking into the axle housing. Or you completely eliminated everything?
I completely deleted everything and put a blank plate over the hole for the fad.

Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I completely deleted everything and put a blank plate over the hole for the fad.
That's why you hear it. With out the fad the front drive shaft spins, you will have to remove caster to adjust for that, somewhere in the 4* will probably get rid of the drive line vibrations. Removing the fad is really for more trailer queens as these usually need more caster than is comfortable for highway speeds.

Easy way to check is find a really straight road, toss it in 4h if it sounds the same it's your drive shaft humming away, mine does above 45.

Last edited:

Mdean

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employed
Yes, it has the proper fluid in the deaf as well.
That's why you hear it. With out the fad the front drive shaft spins, you will have to remove caster to adjust for that, somewhere in the 4* will probably get rid of the drive line vibrations. Removing the fad is really for more trailer queens as these usually need more caster than is comfortable for highway speeds.

Easy way to check is find a really straight road, toss it in 4h if it sounds the same it's your drive shaft humming away, mine does above 45.
thanks for the heads up. I was hoping it was just something like that instead of a bearing or some other catastrophic issue.

b-roc

First Name
Broc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM
No worries - that's absolutely the feedback I'm looking for. If I could get a little for the used Dana 44 I already have (stock JTR), that would make the decision easier.
2 things
1) If you are going to swap the whole axle, we might be able to make a deal ... I am slowly looking for a front rubi take-off to put on my Mojave
2) (this is counterproductive to my 'wants') but another cv joint option is also available... all of the Select-trac jeeps have cv joints on their front axles (mine is a 21 mojave so if you need to find out the part number, then we can just ask Benny with AllMoparParts using my VIN ... I have no idea about how the price compares to rcv

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
thanks for the heads up. I was hoping it was just something like that instead of a bearing or some other catastrophic issue.
I mean it could be, but it's more likely you are hearing the drive shaft and getting drive line vibrations, especially since it's at higher speeds.
Sponsored