Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT GDE Ecodiesel, 22 Polestar 2
Occupation
engineer
Like many of us, I am not a fan of the Gladiator keyfob. On top of it's size and the overactive switchblade key, my jeep logo is already coming loose, after a few months of use.

I have investigated the AJT fob and I am not a fan of that either. I made the decision to design a new fob.

I am designing the fob so the key is integral and slides out if needed. This is similar to many of the current fobs on the market.

I am posting this here because I am contemplating producing the fob once the design is complete. I have access to some of the most advanced additive manufacturing equipment available and can produce full-color, textured, customized fob housings. I figure if I am going to the trouble to make my own, I'd see if there are certain features or design considerations other people would like to see.

I will have alpha prototypes this week for fitment/function testing and then we'll dive deeper into the ergonomics, shape, and key action. At this point, I am planning to reuse the factory button cover.

If this interests you, please let me know what you'd like to see with a redesigned fob.

Cheers,

Carl

Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) Glad Fob 2.1JPG.JPG
Sponsored

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Well I'm intrigued but I don't have a lot of input for you besides making smaller. I guess I'd like the shape to utilize the cup holder space since I do use that but a more compact version of stock.

BTW, I think it's pretty cool you are using the tech available to you to benefit the masses. Good on you.

Squelch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi Gladiator, Energica Ribelle, Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I'd love to see what you come up with. My wife has a Grand Cherokee with a keyfob that's probably 2/3 the size of my Gladiator fob and has one extra button to open the tailgate. So it's got more buttons (I assume more electronics) and a slide-out key and it takes up far less volume than the Gladiator fob. If you can get the slide-out key thing working that would be awesome.

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
I have the AJT fob and like it but it would be nice to still have a way to use the key if and when needed. So if you can figure out how to do that, it would be a game changer. Even if the case just had a slot in it that you could put the loose key into so you can turn it. As RodRecket stated, still fit in the cup holder slot.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I have a base JT. There are no buttons on the fob. I want one as small as possible. I do need the key, if I lock it that is, heck I could put it on keychain.
I got a base as well and I'm thinking about just leaving the Fob inside and having a smaller key cut to lock the doors. If they want the jeep that bad they can have it.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I think the fob is a pain point for most of us. The key constantly opens in my pocket, but I use it regularly when the doors/top off to lock & unlock the center console (basically every time I get in & out because I keep my Rx sunglasses in there). So I would absolutely love something to solve the size & key constantly popping out of the factory one without loosing functionality of the easily accessible key.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My solution on the left - compared to what my father had to carry with him when he was chief inspector at the plant (he had another mic in the far right holster, it's in my shop now).........
I love the fob holster, not hard to pull the fob out should I decide I want to use the key (but in 11 months, I have never used that key)

I agree the Grand Cherokee fob is indeed about 2/3 the size and the slide-out key makes some sense. I think if you did that it might be a possible solution.
I had a photo of my fob compared to my wife's GC fob, which has the same functions -actually more since it has a tail gate button.

Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) 20200906_152050

Sponsored

bryanklay

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ford bronco, 2020 jeep gladiator overland
Occupation
Retired C-141/C-130 FE. now, 9th grade math instr
I am as well.

VA Gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubi 06 LJ Rubi
I'd be up to give it a try and make suggestions

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
My suggestion is to make it look factory with a Jeep logo on it just much smaller. I have the AJT but it looks more like an old school alarm system remote than a modern Jeep key. I would be in for one if the key is functional, it’s smaller and looks factory. I also agree to make it work in the center of the cup holders.