Sponsored

Re-engineering the brick (keyfob)

sirphenergan

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 2018 Jeep Compass Limited, 2020 Sting-Gray Rubicon Gladiator
Following! I’m not looking for anything in particular but id be interested in a smaller fob. Don’t forget about the manuals without remote start! Just lock/unlock/panic.

Burton79

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT
Occupation
Federal Government
I’m very interested. If you can amalgamate the two available fobs, OEM and AJT, that would be something that I would buy.

OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT GDE Ecodiesel, 22 Polestar 2
Occupation
engineer
@crdouglass3 is your plan to transplant the internals, or new electronics that then get "keyed" to the the Gladiator?
I will reuse the factory internals, there will be no need for rekeying.

Sponsored

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
see swampynutballs...and there's barely any gladiators compared to the wrangler JL's...so his market is much bigger than this thread would suggest, now go scrub those foul olives ;)

OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
engineer
So far, I have the prioritization as such:

1. FOB As compact as possible
2. Incorporate factory key for easy use (slide-out)
3. Accommodate each of the JT/JL FOB designs (no button, 3 button, 4 button remote start)
3. Low price
4. Watertight
5. coordinate shape with interior pockets (i.e. center console, dash, etc)
6. Include flashlight
7. Kitchen sink :CWL:

Customization Considerations:
1. Color-keyed to the jeep
2. Custom texture
3. Custom image
4. Custom embossing (name, logo, etc)

I ordered a buttonless remote for reverse engineering, the 3 button version should be easy. As I get closer to a Beta prototype, I'll share and will post a poll to gauge interest in options and understand the demand for each feature set.

The engineering and testing rigor for the watertight and/or integral light increases substantially, these will be pursued based on demand and they will likely be incorporated in a second version.

Without the feedback of the community, I would have designed mine for the first two options and printed it with a color texture like denim. The photos below are an example of the color mapped prints. Obviously, this isn't for everyone but I'll do it for myself and figure a few others might appreciate a little customization.

Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) 2020-10-21 09.46.53
Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) 2020-10-21 09.46.17

Last edited:
OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
engineer
see swampynutballs...and there's barely any gladiators compared to the wrangler JL's...so his market is much bigger than this thread would suggest, now go scrub those foul olives ;)
Agreed. I'll get further in the design process before opening the discussion to a broader audience.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
Agreed. I'll get further in the design process before opening the discussion to a broader audience.
right on, and x2 on not forgetting the manual transmission guys, not sure it will matter in your design but we only need about a 20' range to unlock a door and push the dang starter button when inside

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I will reuse the factory internals, there will be no need for rekeying.
Good, key blanks that will work on the JT/JL can be found, but finding a locksmith to cut this type of key in some locations may be difficult.

Using the factory key while making the fob smaller is your greatest design challenge (your welcome Mr. Obvious).

Reactions: DC3

Sponsored

OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
engineer
right on, and x2 on not forgetting the manual transmission guys, not sure it will matter in your design but we only need about a 20' range to unlock a door and push the dang starter button when inside
What is different with the FOB for the manual?

sirphenergan

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 2018 Jeep Compass Limited, 2020 Sting-Gray Rubicon Gladiator

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
yup and no need for 200 yard range to auto-start, or to lock unlock doors, 20 yards plenty, although something tells me the 'rugged' size of the brick isn't just because of the range required for auto-start, as many have reported excellent auto-start range from a variety of vehicles with much more appropriately sized fobs

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.