Re-gear issues?

rezar1

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I changed my gearing to 5.13. I have been having a hard time lately switching from 2H to 4H and 4L. Also can't get off road+ and lockers to work. When I am in 4L and want to turn on the lockers, I get a message that the truck needs to be in 4L which already is.

Before taking it to the dealer to have it checked, I wanted to find out if re-gearing would cause any of the above issues? Dealer close to me usually charges $250 for diagnosis when it's not a warranty related issue.
Sponsored

exfil offroad

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator-Willys /18 Wrangler JLU-Rubicon
I would suspect, yes, your gearing job is interfering with your ability to transfer and your vehicles recognition of what gear your in. Did you re program your vehicle when you re geared, to specify your vehicle has 5.13 gearing?

OP
OP
rezar1

rezar1

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I would suspect, yes, your gearing job is interfering with your ability to transfer and your vehicles recognition of what gear your in. Did you re program your vehicle when you re geared, to specify your vehicle has 5.13 gearing?
Yes. I reprogrammed it via Tazer.

What would be typical fix? Does it need to be redone?

exfil offroad

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator-Willys /18 Wrangler JLU-Rubicon
I would first make sure that your gearing changes saved in your system. You can check that by going back into your settings and just looking at the gearing, if it shows the correct gearing, it saved (assuming you havent checked) the next step is to take it back to who did your gearing and report the issues. Something is off. They may have improperly aligned something. I can tell you my 5.13s have caused zero issue for me and I use a tazer as well, the only difference is i dont have lockers, just slip limiters.

OP
OP
rezar1

rezar1

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I would first make sure that your gearing changes saved in your system. You can check that by going back into your settings and just looking at the gearing, if it shows the correct gearing, it saved (assuming you havent checked) the next step is to take it back to who did your gearing and report the issues. Something is off. They may have improperly aligned something. I can tell you my 5.13s have caused zero issue for me and I use a tazer as well, the only difference is i dont have lockers, just slip limiters.
Thanks. I will check it out.

Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
Have you actually verified that you are going into 4LO? You'll notice if you are in low range easily, but is it actually in 4WD in low range? My thought is that potentially something fouled a wheel speed sensor and the system in not allowing engagement of 4WD because it can't verify that all wheel speeds are the same.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
With the Tazer, also validate that your Rubicon transfer case gear is set correctly - 4.0. The gears in the Rubicon transfer case are lower than a standard Gladiator.

OP
OP
rezar1

rezar1

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Have you actually verified that you are going into 4LO? You'll notice if you are in low range easily, but is it actually in 4WD in low range? My thought is that potentially something fouled a wheel speed sensor and the system in not allowing engagement of 4WD because it can't verify that all wheel speeds are the same.
It definitely goes into 4LO as I feel the difference. The one thing that I forgot to mention is that the last I did this, I was able to pull it out of 4L but gear indicator was still showing 4L. Once I turned off/on the truck, it showed the correct 2H setting.

OP
OP
rezar1

rezar1

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Update: finally got around to checking the gear ratio and saw that it was changed back to 4:10. I had taken off the tazer to have the software update recall done and I guess maybe that changed it back to 4:10 from 5:13. Tire size was changed as well. What I don’t get is how come the truck didn’t go into limp mode if the gear ratio was changed. Also did I cause any permanent damage?

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Update: finally got around to checking the gear ratio and saw that it was changed back to 4:10. I had taken off the tazer to have the software update recall done and I guess maybe that changed it back to 4:10 from 5:13. Tire size was changed as well. What I don’t get is how come the truck didn’t go into limp mode if the gear ratio was changed. Also did I cause any permanent damage?
This happens a lot. I have updated my Tazer a dozen times the last few years. When you unmarry it... Then update it on your computer, then, remarry it, you will lose some of those values. Best to either memorize your settings or write them down, and check them a few times after an update. Tire Size and Gears size is the one I always lose also. The live settings and cruise control mapped live settings never seem to get lost. Remember, fix settings, then, Full Re-boot mulitple times is your friend.
Sponsored