Sponsored

Read an article... The word 'Mojave' appeared.

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
This isn't political; this cancel culture sucks. I read that amongst other words we need to remove from Jeep culture is Cherokee and Mojave.

I used to jokingly tell people to 'grow up', but now I mean it!
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Gladiator will be added to that list eventually.

They were after all enslaved warriors.....

OP
OP
Hawkeyes3312

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Gladiator will be added to that list eventually.

They were after all enslaved warriors.....
Good thing Jeep discontinued my XK... Damn Commanders commanding things! Don't even get me started on Wranglers. Wrangling things!

brotharon

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Freelance Stamp Collector
Am I to understand that in the future all vehicles will have the name "4 wheels and some seats"...it will make it hard to search on autotrader.

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Pee on them, I say.

Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I saw that too. Took me about 30 seconds to realize that as important as the name Cherokee is to you and me, it's probably just as important to the, ya know, actual Cherokee.

There's probably a good path forward here that makes everyone happy - but ignoring that the name is problematic isn't it. FSU may be an example here.

Also, Gladiator should be fine. I've never heard of anyone claiming to be 25% Gladiator or something. Any Gladiator reservations around? The two (cherokee and gladiator) just aren't comparable that way.

Diesl Jp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel; 2013 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Meat Popsicle
Am I to understand that in the future all vehicles will have the name "4 wheels and some seats"...it will make it hard to search on autotrader.
Barbaric. Please: "positionally dynamic non-aggression devices".

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I predict this thread will get closed soon. The First Amendment is an endangered animal these days. Do not care if you are right or left. You have the right to say what you want. I had a colleague police every sticker in my back window of my Jeep. He was especially interested in my Polish Air Force sticker. Wanted to know what it was... Then proceeded to tell all manner of Polish jokes.

Sponsored

H2O

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gobi Mojave w/ Pimp Pkg
Occupation
New Home Builder
White Jeeps - Cancel. Privileged color
Red, Black & Yellow Jeeps - Cancel. Racist colors
Grey Jeeps - Cancel. That was the Confederate's colors
Blue Jeeps - Cancel. Police wear blue
Orange Jeeps - Cancel. TV series, "Orange is the new Black" is a racist show

What's left... Green, Tan & Silver ? How can we cancel those 3 ?

My whole career has been in retail management. I had to leave because I was a manager over nothing! I was a Babysitter/Firefighter. When I wasn't babysitting a bunch of pussies & snowflakes, I was putting out fires that were caused by those pussies & snowflakes.

I just turned 56. I don't see this shit stopping in my lifetime.

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
Is this really a thing? It's not like the name Cherokee or Mojave is used in any derogatory manner, it's a sign of respect for a pair of bad ass native American tribes emblazoned across a pair of bad ass American autos. Plus, they sound better than Jeep Potato or Jeep Three-Toed Tree Sloth. I hate this planet.

Thread closing in three... Two... One...

Mr. Wuf

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Principal
I saw that too. Took me about 30 seconds to realize that as important as the name Cherokee is to you and me, it's probably just as important to the, ya know, actual Cherokee.

There's probably a good path forward here that makes everyone happy - but ignoring that the name is problematic isn't it. FSU may be an example here.

Also, Gladiator should be fine. I've never heard of anyone claiming to be 25% Gladiator or something. Any Gladiator reservations around? The two (cherokee and gladiator) just aren't comparable that way.
Thank you for being the voice of reason in this thread.

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
What's left... Green, Tan & Silver ? How can we cancel those 3 ?
Well, Gator is out - it looks militaristic and there's talk that its veterans and police who are behind the white supremacist movement...

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Thank you for being the voice of reason in this thread.
The Cherokee tribe made a statement back in 2013, stating that they don’t care that Jeep uses the name. They care if businesses or institutions is derogatory indian names and/or terms.

We have to make a choice if a name is derogatory or not when looking at these situations. If we don’t, where do we stop? I think most people now a days have a lot of respect for the Indian heritage in our country. It would be a shame to remove all the culturally Indian words form our society. Seems worse to me, like a cultural segregation.

I can see the issue with Red Skins, that seems clearly derogatory. Chiefs, does not. Nor does Cherokee.

Are we going to decide that any Indian term or word is off limits? If we do, can a white business man have an Indian restaurant? Or is that appropriation?

there is a lack of reasonable discussion about what is ok and isn’t. Instead we are just told what is offense. And if we are not on the bandwagon, we are part of the problem.

The more people cry wolf about things being offensive, eventually, the more truly offensive things will be ignored.
Sponsored