Sponsored

Really want a Gladiator but having trouble taking the plunge - help me do it!

travelstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
After much research and test drives I've decided that the Gladiator is the car I want. Originally I'd ended up on the wrangler but it just doesn't have enough storage and the Gladiator solves that.

Hopefully I don't need to list all the reasons Gladiators are awesome (that's why you're all here!) but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger because of two big issues:

1) It's so damn long. I live in a big city (SF) and I'm really worried about never being able to find parking, not fitting in parking garages, and generally just having trouble getting around.

2) I often drive friends and clients around in my car. The wind and road noise doesn't bother me but I wonder if it might drive other people crazy.

Are these just dealbreakers that I need to walk away from?
Sponsored

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel, 2022 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
1. I'm not sure what you're coming from, but generally the Gladiator is maneuverable enough that you won't have much trouble. I have a parking deck for work, and it's not been any more difficult than my JLU to park. Typically I back in for ease when it's time to leave.

2. This might depend a little on your line of work. If you're the president of Greenpeace, your clients may frown upon your vehicle choice. Everyone else seems to love Jeeps!

Last edited:

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
1) It's so damn long. I live in a big city (SF)

2) I often drive ... clients around in my car.
Two very valid concerns that would give me pause if I were in your situation.You need something small enough to maneuver in The City and large enough so clients aren't squished.
I drove a Subaru Forester before I bought my Gladdy. Amazingly roomy for the size, dependable, and small enough to deal with short/narrow parking spaces. The perfect appliance. Which, it appears, is what you need right now.

Sponsored

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
1. I'm not sure what you're coming from, but generally the Gladiator is maneuverable enough that you won't have much trouble. I have a parking deck for work, and it's not been any more difficult than my JLU to park. Typically I back in for ease when it's time to leave.

2. This might depend a little on your line of work If you're the president of Greenpeace, your clients may frown upon your vehicle choice. Everyone else seems to love Jeeps!
I was thinking the same thing, being in Kalifornia your choice of ride might not be appreciated by the locals and the powers that be there. Being from Texas, I love mine and there are plenty of trucks that get way worse gas mileage than my Gladiator.

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
If wind and road noise (not sure why this is the case...our Explorer(s) were wayyyy noisier than our Jeep’s) ..... AND if what your friends think is a deal breaker, it sounds like you have maybe made up your mind.

I drive what I want to And don’t base decisions on what other people think. Other than my wife. Why she bought a JL 😁👍🏻

Treat yourself to one .....

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
If you want the driving experience, get the Jeep. Top off, doors off...don't give a damn about gas mileage. I know I generally enjoy driving. I hated my outback. You want driving experience and a small city car, get a wrx with a manual and be done.

TJRjeepn

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Gator, 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2011 Buick Enclave, 2009 Chevy Malibu
Occupation
Account Manager
Vehicle Showcase
It's shorter than a 1/2 ton truck, it will fit in parking spaces.

Parking garage not a concern until you put a big lift on it.

Your ride, if they don't like it they can drive themselves.
Times two ☝🏻
I came from a 1500 GMC 4 door. The Gladiator will fit in my garage the Sierra would not. The JT can still tow your toys. The JT is so more fun. Did you know the doors come off too 😜 Do it!
Jeep Gladiator Really want a Gladiator but having trouble taking the plunge - help me do it! 25A413CC-771F-4370-A17F-A03834D6BB14
Jeep Gladiator Really want a Gladiator but having trouble taking the plunge - help me do it! 85D5EB32-6D67-40C3-A53C-E4C722618665
Jeep Gladiator Really want a Gladiator but having trouble taking the plunge - help me do it! 052AD549-1F8A-4DD3-9586-839C33141C15

Sponsored

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
1) I don’t think the Glady’s size will be an issue for city driving in SF. It’s not for me when I’m jetting around downtown Houston and surrounding areas.

2) Don’t get me wrong, the Gladiator is loud as hell but it doesn’t get crazy until about 65+ mph OR if it’s windy as hell. Just don’t drive your clients across the Bay Bridge or GG because this thing handles wind like a fat kid handles his diet. Jk it’s manageable.

A side note:

Parallel parking on hills in San Francisco (specifically Brisbane) is the scariest thing I’ve ever done in a vehicle.

Good luck to you!

Wageslave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 GC Overland, '21 Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
If you need a truck to do truck things with, then a Gladiator is a pretty good option. I came from a full-size truck, and although the footprint is only a little smaller, it is much more nimble to get around in. If you are worried about wind noise, then the hard top option should keep the noise to economy car levels.

Whatscooking

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Chorkee. 2004 Wrangler
Occupation
Retired
I have a buddy with a F250 4x4 and it was horrible to drive, long. My Gladiator does not give me a hard time maneuvering anywhere, i dont turn into things, i like it. And it's just cool to drive.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
After much research and test drives I've decided that the Gladiator is the car I want. Originally I'd ended up on the wrangler but it just doesn't have enough storage and the Gladiator solves that.

Hopefully I don't need to list all the reasons Gladiators are awesome (that's why you're all here!) but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger because of two big issues:

1) It's so damn long. I live in a big city (SF) and I'm really worried about never being able to find parking, not fitting in parking garages, and generally just having trouble getting around.

2) I often drive friends and clients around in my car. The wind and road noise doesn't bother me but I wonder if it might drive other people crazy.

Are these just dealbreakers that I need to walk away from?
I live in San Francisco, my truck fits fine in my garage even after my lift and 35's. Plus have just enough height for my hard top lift. Parking around the city has been fine so far, I only had to remove my hitch slider once to fit in a tight Parking space. (North Beach area)

20200716_144413.jpg
Sponsored