First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
So I've seen a few YT vids recently of different vehicles where I've noted on more than one occasion that they seem to be able to switch their 4x4 to FWD only, usually for a sharp turn or something. I've never seen anything like this. Any idea what they are using to accomplish this task? A quick Google search didn't turn up much.
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
What vehicles? That's how our compass was. It was front wheel drive until you needed power to the rear. There are a few front wheel drive based awd and "4x4" vehicles.

OP
OP

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
What vehicles? That's how our compass was. It was front wheel drive until you needed power to the rear. There are a few front wheel drive based awd and "4x4" vehicles.
The ones I've seen so far is Rory's Franken-wrecker (forget the channel), Trail Mater.
I also recently saw the Morrvair on Matt's offroad recovery do the same thing.

Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
It's pretty common these days on built trail vehicles to be able to control front/rear drives separately to perform a front or rear "dig".

OP
OP

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse

Dlish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Plastics
My 74 bronco has twin sticks on the transfer case, people been making them for years. On the older tcases its easy to cut the connector between the rails and put a shifter for each. Searching twin stick transfer case on the www should give you more reading.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Ah. Thank you! I've heard of those, but was unaware they were capable of doing that.

So now the question is, has anyone thrown one into a JT? I have absolutely zero use for such an ability in my JTR, but I'm mostly just curious if it's been done.
Someone looked into swapping in the Selec-Trac auto/full-time t-case into a JT and discovered it was so involved because of how things tie together in these, the wiring harnesses and more made that swap impractical if not "nearly impossible".
These are a system not a collection of individual parts. Not that it "can't" be done, but it would involve more than simply swapping the transfer case.
I grabbed a log of my JT's configuration and the thing is aware of the transfer case and the low range ratio even in other modules.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
That won’t work with ours. The Atlas was based on the Dana 300, which was gear driven. The couplers could be engaged independently. Our main shafts are driven directly, and the front output is driven by a chain. I did like having independent control of low range on both ends though in my twin-stick Scrambler t-case.

Sponsored

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
That sounds fancy and a lot better than the “build” on my XJ years ago. I snapped the rear driveshaft U-joint, yanked the shaft off the slip yoke, and drove it around on the front shaft (around town only) until I was able to get it fixed. 🤣 So yes…FWD only on a budget.🤡

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
I want to be able to do the Rivian tank turn.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Our main shafts are driven directly, and the front output is driven by a chain.
Like the NP 119, 129 and so on. Big honkin' chain.

OP
OP

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
Someone looked into swapping in the Selec-Trac auto/full-time t-case into a JT and discovered it was so involved because of how things tie together in these, the wiring harnesses and more made that swap impractical if not "nearly impossible".
These are a system not a collection of individual parts. Not that it "can't" be done, but it would involve more than simply swapping the transfer case.
I grabbed a log of my JT's configuration and the thing is aware of the transfer case and the low range ratio even in other modules.
Any thoughts on the link I posted above? The vid in that link makes it seem like it's a relatively bolt-in system, accounting for all the electronic gremlins as well.