First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinto
Occupation
Actor
So I noticed something recently that doesn't inspire confidence. At low speeds in first and second gear, I am hearing sounds coming from what sounds like the rear diff housing. I did some digging, and found that Wranglers with dana 44's and the LSD were experiencing lsd failures causing excessive gear play. This feature may have made its way over to the jt as well.

Kind of bummed, as I am already taking the jeep in for a steering column replacement (this is a service bulletin that I have not seen on this site). I was wondering if anyone else here had experienced this.
Sponsored

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Yes, but I have specifically traced it to either the rear suspension or axle, not the clutch.
Mine was like a chatter. Never got it fixed. I just got rid of it. But assumed it was associated to the manual and driveshaft. Could well have been the LSD.

OP
OP

Hamandcamo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinto
Occupation
Actor
Mine was like a chatter. Never got it fixed. I just got rid of it. But assumed it was associated to the manual and driveshaft. Could well have been the LSD.
Yes. Mine sounds like a slight chatter, but at the axle itself.

Sponsored

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Yes. Mine sounds like a slight chatter, but at the axle itself.
Inspect the driveshaft for play. I always assumed it was the driveshaft. But good luck other wise. My Gladiator has the LSD. It doesn't make any noise at all. Auto.

OP
OP

Hamandcamo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinto
Occupation
Actor
Inspect the driveshaft for play. I always assumed it was the driveshaft. But good luck other wise. My Gladiator has the LSD. It doesn't make any noise at all. Auto.
Bump, as I'm looking for feedback.
How much play should there be? I can move the shaft about 5-10 degrees, which seems excessive. I recently jacked up the rear end to recreate the sound, but could not. My local dealership brushed it off as nothing, so I'm unsure what to do next @JeepCares.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
I get a thump at low speeds in my Sport S w/LSD. I assumed it was drive shaft play as well. Happens right as I hit the gas. I’m sure it happens at high speeds too, but the road noise probably drowns it out

OP
OP

Hamandcamo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinto
Occupation
Actor
I get a thump at low speeds in my Sport S w/LSD. I assumed it was drive shaft play as well. Happens right as I hit the gas. I’m sure it happens at high speeds too, but the road noise probably drowns it out
Imo, that does not sound normal. I would think that would indicate that there is too much gear play within the carrier of the rear housing.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Imo, that does not sound normal. I would think that would indicate that there is too much gear play within the carrier of the rear housing.
How exactly does that even happen? A differential manufacturer issue or a Jeep assembly line issue?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hamandcamo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinto
Occupation
Actor

87chief

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ - 22 JT
Occupation
Caterpillar Parts Manager
i'm going to keep an eye on this thread. I just picked mine up on Saturday and the first thing i said to my wife was "wow that makes some alarming noises between first and second"

manual sport s with lsd

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Sounds a little like my automatic. I get a thunk when I move between reverse and drive and then again when taking off or nearing a stop. It’s not every time, but it’s often enough to notice. Maybe I should get that looked at before modifying the back end with a lift.

ivanfrank

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
droptopteardrop.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JT HA, '18 JLU Sahara (For Sale), '15 BMW M235
Occupation
Technology Consultant (remote)
Sounds a little like my automatic. I get a thunk when I move between reverse and drive and then again when taking off or nearing a stop. It’s not every time, but it’s often enough to notice. Maybe I should get that looked at before modifying the back end with a lift.
We currently have an automatic JLU (switching to JT now) and it definitely does that too. Granted, we tow so I had attributed it to some stress/strain on the drivetrain from that. But 30k miles in and no defect strong enough to have it inspected/repaired/replaced.
Sponsored