Sponsored

Rear Defroster, hard top conversion

jalbrecht55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR
If you start with a soft top JT, and add a hard top later, what is involved to add the rear window defrost function?

I believe I read somewhere on here that the wiring is present. But what about the defrost button on the HVAC?

And if it’s not present, how would you add it? (I’m guessing just buy the knew knob/dash panel?). Does it require programming to activate?

Looking at base sport models with the 5” screen and standard HVAC controls, if it matters.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
If you start with a soft top JT, and add a hard top later, what is involved to add the rear window defrost function?

I believe I read somewhere on here that the wiring is present. But what about the defrost button on the HVAC?

And if it’s not present, how would you add it? (I’m guessing just buy the knew knob/dash panel?). Does it require programming to activate?

Looking at base sport models with the 5” screen and standard HVAC controls, if it matters.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to order the dual top option, rather than trying to make the additions later on? Or, get one with a hard top and buy the soft top later?

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
The soft top JT has the wiring. I don't know whether it is automatically activated when plugged in.

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
It uses the same switch as the heated mirrors. I don't think that's an option on the base non S Sport. In this case I'd definitely get the hardtop first. It's always easier to add a soft top to your Jeep than the hard.

OP
OP

jalbrecht55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR
Yeah the base Sport without the heated mirrors, makes me think it would take some extra parts to make this work. Reason I’m entertaining it is that it seems like there are more soft top models out there with larger discounts, however to be honest I haven’t found one just the way I’m looking for either.

Full hard top is about $2k new, which is a less than the difference I’m finding hard top models for, and then you would effectively have dual tops also. Also, no dual top option on the base sport.

base sport soft top

f0e9e18e071e483c977e000002a4c07d.jpg

sport s hard top

upload_2020-2-17_15-32-47.jpeg

Sponsored

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
Lots of times the wires will not be present.

On the JL/JLU if there is no hard top, there will not be wires run to the back of the truck for the defroster and wiper. There is a kit though that you can buy to add it.

For the gladiator there is a slight chance that they ran the wire since there would just be a defroster.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
There is a thread on hear referencing a broken connector for the defrost. Find that and then you can look for that connection on the soft top models. It should also have a rear defrost button on the dash.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Mine came with the soft top. It has the wiring harness and connector inside a cover at the driver's side back seat corner, and has the button on the dash for rear defrost.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
We're installing an OE Hardtop on the Northridge4x4 Giveaway Gladiator (originally a soft top) and this stripped down Sport model has the harness and switch already in.

Rear Defroster Plug is behind little panel on drivers side rear door:

rear-defroster-plug.jpg

Rear Defroster Switch is in the heater controls:

rear-defroster-switch.jpg

OP
OP

jalbrecht55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR
Thanks techtim and whiteglad, are both of these Sport “S” models or base sport? (S package has power windows, base does not). My understanding the S models all have the defrost button as they all have heated mirrors, also controlled by that button. So far everything I’m seeing shows the soft top base sport does not have that button.

I haven’t seen anything showing whether the base sport does or doesn’t have the harness. If I could actually look at one locally in person it would help but they are kinda rare...

Next question, regardless S or not, techtim does the rear window defrost actually work? (Do the heater elements get warm?)

Thanks!

Sponsored

Capt. B

First Name
Captain B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Galdiator, 2002 Jeep Wrangler 2DR Gobi Edition
Slightly different question, for soft top owners who want to buy hard tops, where are you getting them?

Capt. B

First Name
Captain B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Galdiator, 2002 Jeep Wrangler 2DR Gobi Edition

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Thanks techtim and whiteglad, are both of these Sport “S” models or base sport? (S package has power windows, base does not). My understanding the S models all have the defrost button as they all have heated mirrors, also controlled by that button. So far everything I’m seeing shows the soft top base sport does not have that button.

I haven’t seen anything showing whether the base sport does or doesn’t have the harness. If I could actually look at one locally in person it would help but they are kinda rare...

Next question, regardless S or not, techtim does the rear window defrost actually work? (Do the heater elements get warm?)
I just looked at the window sticker: 2020 model Year Jeep Gladiator Sport.

No S except in Sport.

We're installing the hardtop today, should have an answer on whether everything works or not. No reason it shouldn't.

Slightly different question, for soft top owners who want to buy hard tops, where are you getting them?
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/hard-tops/82215613-jt-hardtop-kit-black

And of course FREE shipping.
Sponsored