Rear locker engaging automatically in 2H

infidex

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Anyone have issues with rear locker engaging in 2H?

Came on while driving, turned off and now flashing. Can’t get it to stop engaging every few times I drive, or at least it thinks it’s engaged. No tazer, no suspension or drivetrain mods.
Have appointment on Monday to get it looked at.

I haven’t ever even used 4L yet, just had first oil change and they did a software recall while in (assuming not related to causing this issue but this issue happened next day). Assuming bad sensor or actuator, anyone else have this issue yet? 3900 miles.
Sponsored

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR

Came on while driving, turned off and now flashing. Can’t get it to stop engaging every few times I drive, or at least it thinks it’s engaged. No tazer, no suspension or drivetrain mods.

I haven’t ever even used 4L yet, just had first oil change and they did a software recall while in (assuming not related to causing this issue but this issue happened next day). Assuming bad sensor or actuator, anyone else have this issue yet? 3900 miles.
Actually...... having this issue right now!!

was looking to see if anyone else had the same issue and what it was. Going down the highway at 70 towing the camper home from vacation and the locker light popped on. That’ll wake ya up at 1:30 am on an empty interstate! While off-roading, I would engage the rear to help climb a muddy hill and turn them off again once I was up. Rolling slowly I would get the message “disengaging“ then “axel lock disengaged” and the light went out. I tried to engage the lockers in 4 high once and it said “not available“ or “4 lo necessary” or something to that effect.

right now .... I’m in a big parking lot, got under and looked, everything ‘looks’ fine but when I hit the switch, it does lock the axel in 2h (I can tell by the tire scrub turning in a circle) and showed locked. Hit the unlock switch and it says unlocking, light blinking, and no tire scrub.

BTW had my first oil change at 5K just two weeks ago before this trip and I’m pretty sure they did some kind of computer flash to it because I noticed all my apps on the Uconnect were rearranged as I was leaving the dealer. Now this!!!

arg!! I’m gonna keep looking into this and will watch this thread and post if/when I get any answers.

OP
OP

infidex

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually...... having this issue right now!!

was looking to see if anyone else had the same issue and what it was. Going down the highway at 70 towing the camper home from vacation and the locker light popped on. That’ll wake ya up at 1:30 am on an empty interstate! While off-roading, I would engage the rear to help climb a muddy hill and turn them off again once I was up. Rolling slowly I would get the message “disengaging“ then “axel lock disengaged” and the light went out. I tried to engage the lockers in 4 high once and it said “not available“ or “4 lo necessary” or something to that effect.

right now .... I’m in a big parking lot, got under and looked, everything ‘looks’ fine but when I hit the switch, it does lock the axel in 2h (I can tell by the tire scrub turning in a circle) and showed locked. Hit the unlock switch and it says unlocking, light blinking, and no tire scrub.

BTW had my first oil change at 5K just two weeks ago before this trip and I’m pretty sure they did some kind of computer flash to it because I noticed all my apps on the Uconnect were rearranged as I was leaving the dealer. Now this!!!

arg!! I’m gonna keep looking into this and will watch this thread and post if/when I get any answers.
We were also towing camper and doing about same speed. Mine kept engaging. On way home it finally said service locker and a new light came on. Taking it in tomorrow.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
We were also towing camper and doing about same speed. Mine kept engaging. On way home it finally said service locker and a new light came on. Taking it in tomorrow.
Same here. Verified it wasn’t locked via circle turning and got back on the road trying to get home Stopped a while later and when I restarted the truck, the light was no longer blinking but got the same new light in the top tight corner of the cluster.
had to drop mine off at the body shop tonight so they can get started in the morning fixing my rear corner (taillight vs tree) But as soon as it’s done there it’s going down the street to the dealer. So I might be without my truck for a few weeks between the two shops.

Sponsored

OP
OP

infidex

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same here. Verified it wasn’t locked via circle turning and got back on the road trying to get home Stopped a while later and when I restarted the truck, the light was no longer blinking but got the same new light in the top tight corner of the cluster.
had to drop mine off at the body shop tonight so they can get started in the morning fixing my rear corner (taillight vs tree) But as soon as it’s done there it’s going down the street to the dealer. So I might be without my truck for a few weeks between the two shops.

Took it in this morning - they said bad sensor in the rear differential. They gave me a rental on their dime as they will have to keep it at least a week. The fix is to replace the whole rear end assembly - they have a new one ordered and said 4-5 days to get down to TX and then they will swap them out. Bit concerning that the fix is to change out the whole rear end assembly - makes me think there is something more than a sensor (or labor to dig it out and other issues isn't worth it for Chrysler). Either way - this is probably what you have to look forward to. I need to call back up and ask if they'll get me a new steering box while I'm waiting since I wander all over the road (even though they said +/- 1 inch of play is in spec, LOL,..... ).

Rezurekt1981

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep J10

I had my ring and pinions and bearings replaced and when I test drove the truck, it started the same issues. They took it back in and replaced something but I'm not quite sure of what yet. Going through arbitration right now for a buy back but yes, this is a very common issue that FCA is having. I would report it to NHTSA

OP
OP

infidex

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had my ring and pinions and bearings replaced and when I test drove the truck, it started the same issues. They took it back in and replaced something but I'm not quite sure of what yet. Going through arbitration right now for a buy back but yes, this is a very common issue that FCA is having. I would report it to NHTSA
Reported it there probably 3-4 months back, maybe even as far as Jan (all the months blend together these days). Took it in at same time, told me nothing wrong with it, Jeep thing, etc.... I just called them and told them to check it again - that tons of people have bad steering boxes and getting them replaced, maybe something else. Figure if it's just sitting there for a week, might as well get it all looked over. I've got two cracks in windshield, should have that done while there, but they aren't in any bad spots and know that I'll get another as soon as it's fixed, so plan to wait a while on that.

MelodyFesperman

First Name
Melody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Technology
Had the exact thing happen towing a camper yesterday in the mountains of Tennessee. Axle lock notification came on and won’t turn off. Took to local dealer and was told it is fine to tow/drive but not to use the off road functions. When we get back home to Florida we will take it in to our local dealer. Told axle will have to come off to replace locker. Note that we just took it in for that software update last week. Impeccable timing?

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Took mine in yesterday. Gave me a loaner vehicle while mine’s being looked at. Called this morning to let me know they will be replacing the rear axle. New one should be here in about 5 days. Apparently it is cheaper (less billable labor?) to swap out the entire axle as compared pulling the axle and tearing it down to get to the faulty sensor, replace that, then putting it all back together again. Anyway, first step per FCA protocol is replace the faulty axle.
So I’m without my truck for a week or so. Dealer preferred to give me a loaner instead of letting me drive mine for fear of liability if the rear axle were to lock up on the highway. Not saying it was high probability but that they didn’t want to take any chances.

Sponsored

misplacetexan

First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Billet Silver Sport S/Max Tow Package
Occupation
Law enforcement
The reason for replacing the whole axle, could be due to Dana mess up building the axle.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
The reason for replacing the whole axle, could be due to Dana mess up building the axle.
Been seeing a lot of axle replacement on the forum. Starting to wonder if there is a theme here. Like you said, maybe a few batches of axles are known to have issues so they’re just replacing them at first sign of trouble.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Had the exact thing happen towing a camper yesterday in the mountains of Tennessee. Axle lock notification came on and won’t turn off. Took to local dealer and was told it is fine to tow/drive but not to use the off road functions. When we get back home to Florida we will take it in to our local dealer. Told axle will have to come off to replace locker. Note that we just took it in for that software update last week. Impeccable timing?
Hi @MelodyFesperman
Thanks for sharing your experiences here, we are sorry for any inconveniences this caused. If you would like our additional support while working with your local dealer, please know that our team is always available via private message.

Safe travels,

Kathryn
JeepCares

Took mine in yesterday. Gave me a loaner vehicle while mine’s being looked at. Called this morning to let me know they will be replacing the rear axle. New one should be here in about 5 days. Apparently it is cheaper (less billable labor?) to swap out the entire axle as compared pulling the axle and tearing it down to get to the faulty sensor, replace that, then putting it all back together again. Anyway, first step per FCA protocol is replace the faulty axle.
So I’m without my truck for a week or so. Dealer preferred to give me a loaner instead of letting me drive mine for fear of liability if the rear axle were to lock up on the highway. Not saying it was high probability but that they didn’t want to take any chances.
@12BNNT
We regret hearing that you have faced trouble with your Gladiator in the past. If you have any further questions or would like our additional support while your vehicle is being repaired, feel free to reach out via private message. Our team is happy to help!

Kathryn
JeepCares

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Update:

one week after dropping off my truck for the locker issue, they called me this afternoon to let me know they got the new rear axle delivered and installed. All good to go and I can pick it up as early as 7am when they open. All under warranty at no charge for the repair or the rental/loaner I’ve had for the past week.
:like:

OP
OP

infidex

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got mine back as well. All new rear end. They didn’t send new axles but dealer didnt want to reuse the old so they ordered new ones which took longer but glad they did. All seems well, they covered a rental for the time they had it.
Sponsored