Rear Parksense retrofit

khockey02

First Name
Kalem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
This and the keyless entry are the only 2 factory options I feel I missed out on. Apparently some clever forum members have worked out a way to retrofit keyless entry after the fact and I’m curious if anyone has tried this with parksense? I know there are aftermarket kits, but I’d be willing to put in some time and money to have that factory integrated feel here.
Sponsored

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
Anybody? Does anyone know where the park assist module is / would be?

bill.john

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
PM
I'M one of those that added the passive entry option after the fact. Other than waiting 3 months to get the harness, all went well. So many wanted it, Mopar is now selling it as a kit. I hear the wait is still murderous.

You hit the nail on the head with this new one. Park assist would be the next best "factory like" mod.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
It astounds me that FCA put in the rear camera, but didn't fit the Gladiator with a stock rearwards proximity sensor. Stupid, I tell ya, Stupid!

I added this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XUXUTS

It works quite well: it starts beeping about the time something enters the green zone on the camera, and has a solid tone by the time you're in the red. And it scans out to the corners OK, too.
Is it as good as a system with 4 sensors across the bumper? No. But then again, it's only $50, and fairly easy to install.

Kevin

Last edited:

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
It astounds me that FCA put in the rear camera, but didn't fit the Gladiator with a stock rearwards proximity sensor. Stupid, I tell ya, Stupid!

Rear cameras were a Federal mandate starting 2018. So it is not like Jeep decided to put one in the JT out of the kindness of their heart. Prior on other vehicles, it usually was a paid option and not rolled into the standard equipment and pricing.

As to proximity sensors being standard, well that is subjective. At some point, Jeep/FCA has to draw a line of what is and is not standard to differentiate price points for their various models. Arguments could be made by some that everything should be standard but then many more would be priced out of buying a JT.

Sponsored

GRcrawler

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoGladiator
So has anybody been able to make this work. Doing a little research and it looks like you need a module, sensors, wiring harness, and programing to activate it. I have a Rubicon with a "long" down hill assist button where the park sense button should be. What else is needed?

rhill2901

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler jl, 2018 ram 1500, 2014 jetta
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm in process of doing this with a 2019 wrangler sport. One more thing to have is a bumper with the holes for the sensors, and the clips to hold them into the bumper. The clips are pretty cheap, I got my steel bumper on ebay for 265. I'm have an issue getting the right settings to enable the feature. The park assist is reporting a vehicle line problem, and it is disabling my blind spot monitoring for some reason.

sg88

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave; 2010 Wrangler Sahara
I'm in process of doing this with a 2019 wrangler sport. One more thing to have is a bumper with the holes for the sensors, and the clips to hold them into the bumper. The clips are pretty cheap, I got my steel bumper on ebay for 265. I'm have an issue getting the right settings to enable the feature. The park assist is reporting a vehicle line problem, and it is disabling my blind spot monitoring for some reason.
If you are at the point of getting errors, does that mean that you located the park assist module? I can find all the parts to add this OEM feature, but can not find where the module goes and what wiring will connect the module to the Star Ports.

DailyDrivenTJ

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTRD, 1999 TJ-6 HEMI, 1998TJ, 2000 XJ 4.6L
Park sense can be added with kits available from here..

sg88

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave; 2010 Wrangler Sahara
So has anybody been able to make this work. Doing a little research and it looks like you need a module, sensors, wiring harness, and programing to activate it. I have a Rubicon with a "long" down hill assist button where the park sense button should be. What else is needed?
Did you ever complete this project? I am looking for someone who figured out the wiring and location of the Park Assist Module...

Sponsored

Turnswrench

First Name
Bowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary, 2023 Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Start Up Strategist
Park sense can be added with kits available from here..
I'm installing this kit currently. I've tested it and it works. Waiting on a new rear bumper to come in to complete the job.

DailyDrivenTJ

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTRD, 1999 TJ-6 HEMI, 1998TJ, 2000 XJ 4.6L
I'm installing this kit currently. I've tested it and it works. Waiting on a new rear bumper to come in to complete the job.
Good to know. I have the kit sitting waiting to be installed! Anything that caught you offguard?

Also adding blind spot mirrors at the same time.

Turnswrench

First Name
Bowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary, 2023 Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Start Up Strategist
Good to know. I have the kit sitting waiting to be installed! Anything that caught you offguard?

Also adding blind spot mirrors at the same time.
Not yet. We'll see once the bumper comes in. Post up how the blind spot install goes. That's a cool addition.

ErylFlynn

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkn Mojave, 2008 JK Unlimited Det Yellow
Sounds like you need a new bumper as well to do this. Wonder if you can get the parts with out the programmer, I have a Tazer and an OBDII tool, I can make the programming changes myself.

rhill2901

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler jl, 2018 ram 1500, 2014 jetta
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
adding park assist to the rear is easy. Adding them to the front requires a little bit more of work. I had to source my park assist module from the UK to get the correct one, but can it be done? Absolutely. I have operatitonal front and rear park assist on my base model jeep wrangler sport..
Sponsored