Sponsored

rear seat belps ripped

pressman_g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1995 Celica, 2020 R1250R
Has anyone ever heard of the rear seat belts ripping on gladiators? All of the sudden both rear belts (right and left) ripped without warning. I dont use the truck often- so it’s possible it happened awhile ago and i just noticed when i put my kids in the back seat. I have 2020 Rubicon. No idea how this happened as ive never had a belt rip on any car before. The belts ripped inside the housing.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I've never heard of it on a Gladiator. I would definitely have a chat with the dealer about it. Since it's a government mandated safety device, I would think that it might be covered outside the standard 3/36 warranty.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Having 11 and 8 year old boys myself……. How old are your kids?

Sponsored

OP
OP
pressman_g

pressman_g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car seats for the kids?
I have 1 booster seat on the drivers side and a full car seat on the passenger side that uses the quick latch belts. The seat belt itself was rarely used.

My 6 year old got in the car today, sat on her booster seat and told me the seat belt was broken. I went to look and sure enough it was frayed and sliced in 2. I couldnt figure out what had happened to I went over to the other side to inspect the other belt- to understand better where the tear happened (since I had thought the other side was still fine). When i pulled the other side- i noticed it too was sliced just like the first one.

So bizarre. And again, the car sits in my driveway most of the time.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
21 months and 6. They are both girls. And again, the car is not driven often.
I think the National highway traffic safety would be all over this if it was a common, or even not-so-common occurrence. ??‍♂ 6 year old and scissors??

OP
OP
pressman_g

pressman_g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the National highway traffic safety would be all over this if it was a common, or even not-so-common occurrence. ??‍♂ 6 year old and scissors??
Yeah you'd think. The part that got cut seems to way inside the plastic shield too. It wasnt even exposed for someone to cut.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Any teens you may know that may have taken it for a joyride (with disrespectful backseat friends) without you knowing?

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I have never heard or seen something similar.

I can say though as having raised 4 kids into adulthood, unexplained things seem to get broken, torn, lost or destroyed with nobody knowing anything about it quite often and Mom will take their side.

OP
OP
pressman_g

pressman_g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really don’t think it was my kids. The car sits locked in the driveway most of the time. The area on the belts also look frayed not cut.

I’ll call the dealer today.

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
According to the owners manual, seatbelts are covered for 10 years only if you live in Kansas where apparently they keep you from being whisked away to Oz. Otherwise, they fall under bumper to bumper. However, if these weren’t cut ? NHTSA would definitely want to see a failure like this where 3 year old belts supposedly came apart. Stellantis would too. I’ve never seen or heard of anything like this.

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
Id email some top Stellantis brass, send some (better) pictures showing the location of the rips and have them take care of you. I'm sure Google will yield you some results

OP
OP
pressman_g

pressman_g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Id email some top Stellantis brass, send some (better) pictures showing the location of the rips and have them take care of you. I'm sure Google will yield you some results
Sure. Silly question- what is Stellantis? I submitted a nhtsa safety ticket already.
Sponsored