Sponsored

Rear Seat Platform (After Rear Seat Removal - Rear Seat Delete)

CJ5w4wdSmokyOnMyTail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave JT; 2016 Cherokee
In my previously posted thread I explained how I removed the rear seats (rear seat delete):
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/rear-seats-removal.22980/

In this thread I'll show you how I built a Rear Seat Platform that provides access to the storage containers on the floor as well as the bolts used to secure the platform to the Gladiator's floor (same bolts used to secure the Rear Seats to the floor).

Here's what the Rear Seat Platform looks like now (nearly done except for trimming of the mat on the Platform):
IMG_7963 3.JPG

Lots of flat storage space!
Your timing is perfect. Thank you for sharing your planning and experience with this. Looks great and will help me do something very similar.
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I took the OPā€˜s idea and made a similar set up. Also Iā€™m not the best carpenter.

still need to attach the tops. Iā€™m trying to figure out a good way to attach piano hinges to the set up.

IMG_0247.jpeg
Something many people don't like to hear or do. If it works it doesn't have to be a masterpiece. Function over perfection. šŸ¤”
As a "recovering perfectionist" I had to resist the notion of perfection.:facepalm::headbang: With that said I'm definitely not one now or even near that.
Are you going for blind piano hinges setup or visible. Installing them can be a P.T.A. is your base assembly removable as one piece. If so pull it out and flip upside down on lids mark and mount. Currently the cover on mine just sits on it no hinges, lift up and remove. No lid to fall down and can be use to set stuff on outside of cab. Notable smaller and lighter weight.

Anyway it looks good to me. :like: :like:

I constructed what is in mine and have removed torn apart then redone a few times at least. Then reduced it to just right rear area to reinstall left side jump seat just in case I ever have 2 passengers.

My recent project would confirm I'm not a perfectionist at least anymore. :giggle: Budget constraints, available material (and quality of it)then trying to finish before the heat hit. And main reason it just needs to be functional for me. ;)

jc1986

First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon sting grey 6spd
Something many people don't like to hear or do. If it works it doesn't have to be a masterpiece. Function over perfection. šŸ¤”
As a "recovering perfectionist" I had to resist the notion of perfection.:facepalm::headbang: With that said I'm definitely not one now or even near that.
Are you going for blind piano hinges setup or visible. Installing them can be a P.T.A. is your base assembly removable as one piece. If so pull it out and flip upside down on lids mark and mount. Currently the cover on mine just sits on it no hinges, lift up and remove. No lid to fall down and can be use to set stuff on outside of cab. Notable smaller and lighter weight.

Anyway it looks good to me. :like: :like:

I constructed what is in mine and have removed torn apart then redone a few times at least. Then reduced it to just right rear area to reinstall left side jump seat just in case I ever have 2 passengers.

My recent project would confirm I'm not a perfectionist at least anymore. :giggle: Budget constraints, available material (and quality of it)then trying to finish before the heat hit. And main reason it just needs to be functional for me. ;)
Thanks for the info. I did manage to install a hidden hinge on the 40% section. On the 60%, it is more a friction hold than anything else. The upholstery that I added and the overall design that portion isnā€™t going anywhere and I found out I actually like having that on hinge at the center line of the vehicle vs back of the seat side.

I also finished upholstering the platform. Legs, frame and platform top are good to go. My dog kind of enjoys the platform and I could imagine that the platform is way better to get carried around on vs the seat/hammock setup we used for years.
Jeep Gladiator Rear Seat Platform (After Rear Seat Removal - Rear Seat Delete) IMG_0255
Jeep Gladiator Rear Seat Platform (After Rear Seat Removal - Rear Seat Delete) IMG_0256
Jeep Gladiator Rear Seat Platform (After Rear Seat Removal - Rear Seat Delete) IMG_0257

On to the next project, ā€off-road utility trailerā€! Basically Iā€™m having a 5x8 utility trailer custom made so I can run 35s. I contacted a fab/ trailer maker local to me and started talking about design and concept. A dedicated travel trailer Isnā€™t something I am interested in since I still need something to haul a motorcycle with and random
yard or house projects. These are the concepts I have the trailer maker.
Jeep Gladiator Rear Seat Platform (After Rear Seat Removal - Rear Seat Delete) IMG_0146
Jeep Gladiator Rear Seat Platform (After Rear Seat Removal - Rear Seat Delete) IMG_0150

trust

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep Scrambler, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Always remember the great is the enemy of good, and that 90% of project costs go towards 10,% of project scope.... my crap isn't pretty but it works....

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My utility trailer isn't made for off-road use. Great choice on looking to local fabrication for trailer. Mine was custom built to my specifications along lines of the company standard models , heavier duty and cost less than "box store type.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info. I did manage to install a hidden hinge on the 40% section. On the 60%, it is more a friction hold than anything else. The upholstery that I added and the overall design that portion isnā€™t going anywhere and I found out I actually like having that on hinge at the center line of the vehicle vs back of the seat side.

I also finished upholstering the platform. Legs, frame and platform top are good to go. My dog kind of enjoys the platform and I could imagine that the platform is way better to get carried around on vs the seat/hammock setup we used for years.

On to the next project, ā€off-road utility trailerā€! Basically Iā€™m having a 5x8 utility trailer custom made so I can run 35s. I contacted a fab/ trailer maker local to me and started talking about design and concept. A dedicated travel trailer Isnā€™t something I am interested in since I still need something to haul a motorcycle with and random
yard or house projects. These are the concepts I have the trailer maker.
Jeep Gladiator Rear Seat Platform (After Rear Seat Removal - Rear Seat Delete) IMG_0150
That definitely reminds me of my Comanche bed one I built for my XJ. As of on same line of use. It was made for off-road use and cargo. I used the bed, fuel tank and leaf springs but built frame and axle for it. 1/4 wall square tubing.
Jeep Gladiator Rear Seat Platform (After Rear Seat Removal - Rear Seat Delete) Photo_042706_007

FYI: if anyone sees this send me a picture, when and where it's at. Somebody really liked it too then stolen it.

HereWeGo

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Here is my variation on the design. I used 2x6 to make it deeper and so the top would cover the bump-out where the subwoofer is. Used a longer one on the passenger side so I didn't have the middle framing blocking the compartment. The cutout behind the driver is for 1) the dog to get in and out and 2) so I can recline my seat. A Wolf Pack box fits nicely in that space. A few pointers for anyone doing this. I used a level to position the long 2x6 frame piece on the L-bracket and traced the bracket with a pencil, then put screws in it and bolted it down. Used a 4' level to position the two short pieces on the L-bracket, so they were all approximately on the same plane. Then I used washers under any L-bracket that needed to be adjusted up or down. To get the big compartment square, I used washers between the 2x6 and the L-bracket to change the angle (first pic). The compartment is totally square (my OCD would not allow less). I used cardboard to scribe each of the side panels, then cut the plywood. Each piece had to be trimmed, angle cut, or whatever needed to make good contact with the floor. No gaps (OCD). The legs are 2x4 and are bolted to the frame so I can easily unbolt them to remove the Weathertech mats if needed. One primer coat of leftover cans of paint, then a final coat of Raptor 2K (except one panel, I ran out). I used Rustoleum black to paint the piano hinge and screw heads before installing it. The small compartment doesn't hinge, it just pops off. Think I'll add a Sea Deck knockoff to the top so the dog can get a grip. The main compartment is 12" deep. I may put my house battery and components in there (the next project). Total cost $175.

Jeep Gladiator Rear Seat Platform (After Rear Seat Removal - Rear Seat Delete) 20230709_171047

Jeep Gladiator Rear Seat Platform (After Rear Seat Removal - Rear Seat Delete) 20230725_181551

Jeep Gladiator Rear Seat Platform (After Rear Seat Removal - Rear Seat Delete) 20230725_183216

Jeep Gladiator Rear Seat Platform (After Rear Seat Removal - Rear Seat Delete) 20230725_192230

Jeep Gladiator Rear Seat Platform (After Rear Seat Removal - Rear Seat Delete) 20230725_191139

Jeep Gladiator Rear Seat Platform (After Rear Seat Removal - Rear Seat Delete) 20230725_191115

Jeep Gladiator Rear Seat Platform (After Rear Seat Removal - Rear Seat Delete) 20230725_193908
Jeep Gladiator Rear Seat Platform (After Rear Seat Removal - Rear Seat Delete) 20230725_191702

Last edited:

Alpine Warthog

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator, 98 XJ
Occupation
Retired USAF Police Officer
These are awesome. I'm going to pull out my 60 side and do this as well. We've only got the need for 3 seats most of the year. The dog(s) would love a nice flat spot to ride.