Sponsored

Rear seats not folding down

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I have folded the rear seats up and down several times to access the storage area below them with no issues. Today they got stuck in the upward/stadium position. Calling Jeep was no help. They told me to take it to a dealer.

Will update as I learn more, heading to nearest dealership now

Took it to dealer. After some wiggling the seats came down. Tech said the gears can get stuck and you just have to work them up/down to get them unstuck
Sponsored

Last edited:

wbelong

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I have folded the rear seats up and down several times to access the storage area below them with no issues. Today they got stuck in the upward/stadium position. Calling Jeep was no help. They told me to take it to a dealer.

Took it to dealer. After some wiggling the seats came down. Tech said the gears can get stuck and you just have to work them up/down to get them unstuck
Have had my JT since mid-October. This happened to me once. Couldn't fold it down. After my wife tried and couldn't get it, I tried again and it went down smooth. Has not happened again.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase

I’ll guess it happened because the seat mechanisms are made more complicated because the seats need to be able to both fold down and up

Deleted member 24880

Have you tried to push them more towards the back seat to see if they release? Could be something not quite connected or unconnected. Just a thought.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll guess it happened because the seat mechanisms are made more complicated because the seats need to be able to both fold down and up
Maybe. It is random what will cause them to go back down. Happened again last night. Wiggling didnt help. Then on my final attempt it went dowb

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you tried to push them more towards the back seat to see if they release? Could be something not quite connected or unconnected. Just a thought.
Yep. Tried pushing inward, lifting up more, side to side, what makes it go back down is seemingly random

Backwoodsraider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jts
Had this same problem. Looked in owners manual

To lower the rear seat, push down, then lower them. its like they have a spring pushing them up into a notch

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had this same problem. Looked in owners manual

To lower the rear seat, push down, then lower them. its like they have a spring pushing them up into a notch
Tried that. Didn't work. Like I said, I'll raise/lower them dozens of times then one time they get stuck

Roklok

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
Mine wouldn't go up. Dealer is going to replace the whole mechanism group. More to come.

Sponsored

DeezJT

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pending
Occupation
Process Engineer
Happened to me yesterday. I spent a good few minutes trying to figure it out since it was just stuck in the open position no matter what i tried. Eventually i got it to go down. If it happens again, i'll take it to the dealer.... not looking forward to it though.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Happened to me last weekend. There's a little spring loaded detent in the hinge that gets stuck. Reaching in there and pushing it up releases the seat.

I'm still taking it to the dealer for it. Mine constantly gets stuck now.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Happened to me last weekend. There's a little spring loaded detent in the hinge that gets stuck. Reaching in there and pushing it up releases the seat.

I'm still taking it to the dealer for it. Mine constantly gets stuck now.
How did your appointment go, Riccochet? Is this concern still present? If so, send us a private message with more details.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
How did your appointment go, Riccochet? Is this concern still present? If so, send us a private message with more details.

Kate
Jeep Cares
I haven't taken it in yet. I have a laundry list of items for them to look at. Hopefully I can get it in next week.
Sponsored