Sponsored

Rear Seats Removal (Rear Seat Delete)

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
JEEP Gladiator Rear Seats Removal - how to

Once I folded the rear seats down and saw just how much space they took I knew I needed to remove them. So I did. It was the first step in my project to DIY build/install a rear seat delete platform (you can see the DIY Platform Build here: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/rear-seat-platform-after-rear-seat-removal.24177/)

It was a project worth doing. Big thanks to @Rokon for his info as he removed his Gladiator's rear seat to install his ARB fridge - you can see his install here. This is a great DIY mod - the seats come out rather easily (except for wrestling with the 8 Torx nuts - 4 per seat) and you'll have significantly more useful space behind the rear seats.

Here's a pic of the end result with the rear seats removed:
Jeep Gladiator Rear Seats Removal (Rear Seat Delete) IMG_2396.JPG

Here's how to do it and what you'll need...

Tools:
* E14 Torx socket (female) - I got a set at Harbor Freight for about $9.99 before the 20% discount coupon. Suggestion: don't get the deep socket as they'll come off the Torx nuts too easily as it takes a good-to-great amount of force to break them loose.
* Breaker bar - ⅜" Breaker Bar at Harbor Freight - it's not necessary but it was a huge help in breaking loose two of the rear Torx nuts - it's $9.99 before any discount coupon
* 10mm socket - to remove the 2 bolts that hold the rear seats together
* T20 Torx (male) screwdriver or socket version - to remove the 2 screws holding the plastic seat base shroud

You can see the 2 sockets and the Torx screw (socket version) and the hardware here:
Jeep Gladiator Rear Seats Removal (Rear Seat Delete) IMG_2393.JPG

Gladiator Rear Seats Removal Process:
1. Fold both seats up

2. Using the 10mm socket, remove the 2 bolts holding the rear seats together. You'll want to be on the driver's side as the 2 bolts' heads are on that side. You can see the 2 bolts in the following pic - one is below and behind the other.

Jeep Gladiator Rear Seats Removal (Rear Seat Delete) IMG_2391.JPG

3. Use the T20 Torx screwdriver (or socket version as shown in the above pic) to unscrew and remove the 2 Torx screws holding the plastic Seat Base Shroud - it's the plastic "surround panel" that is on the floor where the two seats' bases attach to the floor. Here's a pic of the Seat Base Shroud removed...

Jeep Gladiator Rear Seats Removal (Rear Seat Delete) IMG_2392.JPG

4. Use the breaker bar with the E14 Torx Female Socket to break all 8 of the seat base nuts loose. There are 4 nuts per seat - 2 in the back and 2 in the front. The 2 nuts in the back were a bit more challenging than the front ones and the breaker bar made life much easier as once they were broken loose I switched over to the ratchet to finish loosening the nuts and removing them by hand.

5. Remove the 2 rear seats - Now that the bolts are all out, use the strap Seat Back Releases to free the seats from their locked (to the back wall) position. I suggest taking out the smaller driver's side seat first but either one can be removed first.

Lift them out carefully so you don't scratch anything and...enjoy all that extra space!

My next project will be fabricating a platform with some features that should make it quite useful for daily as well as camping/overlanding use. I'll post that stuff up once I have more to report on that mod.

A few more pics...

Photo showing the driver's side seat base bolts. You' can also see a portion of the Seat Base Shroud - the plastic panel (note the Torx screw facing you behind the seat base bolt in the lower left):
Jeep Gladiator Rear Seats Removal (Rear Seat Delete) IMG_2390.JPG

Rear Seats removed:
Jeep Gladiator Rear Seats Removal (Rear Seat Delete) IMG_2394.JPG

Rear Seats Removed:
Jeep Gladiator Rear Seats Removal (Rear Seat Delete) IMG_2395.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Actually that was my post on the ARB fridge.... all is good!
Sure gives a good blank slate to rework some useable space. Nice write up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Actually that was my post on the ARB fridge.... all is good!
Sure gives a good blank slate to rework some useable space. Nice write up.
Thanks for pointing that out - I want to give credit where it's due so I edited my post to do that. Thanks again

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
I will be taking my wife to the desert this weekend. My Dometic will need space for the trip as well. If I cannot fit the fridge after folding the seats flat, I will give this a try.

Lx5CNvg.jpg

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I will be taking my wife to the desert this weekend. My Dometic will need space for the trip as well. If I cannot fit the fridge after folding the seats flat, I will give this a try.

Lx5CNvg.jpg

My Whynter fridge/freezer fit but, of course, it had to be up high on top of the folded seat backs. It was clear then just how much space the seats folded up or down take up so, they had to go

Sponsored

Laurie

First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
JEEP Gladiator Rear Seats Removal - how to

Once I folded the rear seats down and saw just how much space they took I knew I needed to remove them. So I did.

It was a project worth doing. Big thanks to Rokon for his info as he removed his Gladiator's rear seat to install his ARB fridge - you can see his install here. This is a great DIY mod - the seats come out rather easily (except for wrestling with the 8 Torx nuts - 4 per seat) and you'll have significantly more useful space behind the rear seats.

Here's a pic of the end result with the rear seats removed:
IMG_2396.JPG

Here's how to do it and what you'll need...

Tools:
* E14 Torx socket (female) - I got a set at Harbor Freight for about $9.99 before the 20% discount coupon. Suggestion: don't get the deep socket as they'll come off the Torx nuts too easily as it takes a good-to-great amount of force to break them loose.
* Breaker bar - ⅜" Breaker Bar at Harbor Freight - it's not necessary but it was a huge help in breaking loose two of the rear Torx nuts - it's $9.99 before any discount coupon
* 10mm socket - to remove the 2 bolts that hold the rear seats together
* T20 Torx (male) screwdriver or socket version - to remove the 2 screws holding the plastic seat base shroud

You can see the 2 sockets and the Torx screw (socket version) and the hardware here:
IMG_2393.JPG

Gladiator Rear Seats Removal Process:
1. Fold both seats up

2. Using the 10mm socket, remove the 2 bolts holding the rear seats together. You'll want to be on the driver's side as the 2 bolts' heads are on that side. You can see the 2 bolts in the following pic - one is below and behind the other.

IMG_2391.JPG

3. Use the T20 Torx screwdriver (or socket version as shown in the above pic) to unscrew and remove the 2 Torx screws holding the plastic Seat Base Shroud - it's the plastic "surround panel" that is on the floor where the two seats' bases attach to the floor. Here's a pic of the Seat Base Shroud removed...

IMG_2392.JPG

4. Use the breaker bar with the E14 Torx Female Socket to break all 8 of the seat base nuts loose. There are 4 nuts per seat - 2 in the back and 2 in the front. The 2 nuts in the back were a bit more challenging than the front ones and the breaker bar made life much easier as once they were broken loose I switched over to the ratchet to finish loosening the nuts and removing them by hand.

5. Remove the 2 rear seats - Now that the bolts are all out, use the strap Seat Back Releases to free the seats from their locked (to the back wall) position. I suggest taking out the smaller driver's side seat first but either one can be removed first.

Lift them out carefully so you don't scratch anything and...enjoy all that extra space!

My next project will be fabricating a platform with some features that should make it quite useful for daily as well as camping/overlanding use. I'll post that stuff up once I have more to report on that mod.

A few more pics...

Photo showing the driver's side seat base bolts. You' can also see a portion of the Seat Base Shroud - the plastic panel (note the Torx screw facing you behind the seat base bolt in the lower left):
IMG_2390.JPG

Rear Seats removed:
IMG_2394.JPG

Rear Seats Removed:
IMG_2395.JPG
[/QU

Laurie

First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
There is absolutely no room for a large dog in that Jeep is there? ☹

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Think of the subwoofers that would fit into that space..............

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There is absolutely no room for a large dog in that Jeep is there? ☹
Yes, there absolutely is! stay tuned for my next post on what I built and installed in place of the rear seats

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
@WhatExit? thanks for the post. Giving me more ideas to work on. Looks like I’m gonna be waiting until spring to get my JT but already have a list of things I’m planning to modify on it. Having a large dog (Shepard) plus 2 beagles and a Shih Tzu to take on trips with the camper, I had thought maybe I’d have to go with a JLU (being able to put the back seat down for dog room while traveling ) due to the limited back seat in the JT.

BUT.... looking at your pics gives me the idea of pulling the back seat and installing a flat carpeted deck across the back that would have 4 hinges mounted to the rear posts that the back seat normally mounts to making it more solid/secure yet could be lifted up by way of the hinges to access the storage space underneath! Double win! The dogs would get a large flat deck area to move around on that’s closer to floor level and I have a bigger non visible storage space underneath. Bonus... not having to try to clean Shepard fur out of the nooks and crannies in the back seat!

Sponsored

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@WhatExit? thanks for the post. Giving me more ideas to work on. Looks like I’m gonna be waiting until spring to get my JT but already have a list of things I’m planning to modify on it. Having a large dog (Shepard) plus 2 beagles and a Shih Tzu to take on trips with the camper, I had thought maybe I’d have to go with a JLU (being able to put the back seat down for dog room while traveling ) due to the limited back seat in the JT.

BUT.... looking at your pics gives me the idea of pulling the back seat and installing a flat carpeted deck across the back that would have 4 hinges mounted to the rear posts that the back seat normally mounts to making it more solid/secure yet could be lifted up by way of the hinges to access the storage space underneath! Double win! The dogs would get a large flat deck area to move around on that’s closer to floor level and I have a bigger non visible storage space underneath. Bonus... not having to try to clean Shepard fur out of the nooks and crannies in the back seat!

You were paying attention to my post and plans. Take a look at what I built and installed - sounds like it's just what you need!
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...rm-after-rear-seat-removal.24177/#post-380256

Laurie

First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would think once this is installed it’s kind of high up... how would the dogs get in , unless you pick them up?
"High up" is relative. But how would a dog get into a JEEP Gladiator anyway? I can't imagine many dogs that could do it on their own.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I would think once this is installed it’s kind of high up... how would the dogs get in , unless you pick them up?
I actually have a 3” lift on my JK with 33’s (or 35’s) and my Shepard jumps in on her own every time. The three little dogs have to be picked up to make it into my wife’s Ford Edge so it just ain’t happening with my ride. :giggle: