Sponsored

Rear Spring popping out of its perch at full droop-Clayton 3.5inch Overland Plus with 35inch tires

GrayBeard59

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S max tow
Occupation
Semi-Retired; Realtor
Good Day All,
I recently purchased a Clayton 3.5inch Overland Plus lift kit and have been experiencing problems with the right rear spring popping out of its perch on full droop.

I had a reputable shop (MIT of El Cajon CA, they specialize in jeeps) install it and they found that the rear spring would pop out at full droop. I bought the Fox shocks Part Number 985-24-221 for the rear as recommended by the Clayton website.

After calling Clayton I was told that that happens during install when all the components have not been completely installed. So I had them complete the install. It looks great.

But, fast forward a couple days, and when the new wheels and tires were installed it popped out again and unseated and was rubbing on the upper track bar mounting bolt.

I took it back to MIT to see if they could turn that bolt 180 degrees so the threaded end wouldn't rub and they told me it had popped out again.

Is anybody else having this issue with this kit and their Gladiator? Unsure what to do next. Shop says shocks are 2 inches too long-get shorter shocks or limiting straps. I haven't heard anybody else having issues like this.
Suggestions?
Sponsored

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Do you have the spring clocked correctly? I've not personally seen anyone post about this issue.

Isn't there a rubber nipple on the top isolator pad that has to sit in the hole of the upper spring bucket? Or am I thinking of the front? Sorry I don't have my JT near me to look.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Those shocks are 4.7” longer than stock. Did you see how long the Clayton springs were compared to stock, uncompressed (free length)?

OP
OP
GrayBeard59

GrayBeard59

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S max tow
Occupation
Semi-Retired; Realtor
Do you have the spring clocked correctly? I've not personally seen anyone post about this issue.

Isn't there a rubber nipple on the top isolator pad that has to sit in the hole of the upper spring bucket? Or am I thinking of the front? Sorry I don't have my JT near me to look.
I'm not sure as I had the shop install. I would like to think they were aware as they specialize in jeeps for 40 yr.s plus.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GrayBeard59

GrayBeard59

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S max tow
Occupation
Semi-Retired; Realtor
Those rear shocks are 4.7” longer than stock. Did you see how long the Clayton springs were compared to stock, uncompressed (free length)?
I ordered kit from Clayton per the website as well as the recommended shock part number. The 3.5inch kit supposedly closer to 4. the shocks are for a 3.5 to 4inch lift.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I'm with @Renegade on this or where he is going with it, could very well be your shocks. I bought full length shocks for my JKU when I replaced them and the guy who installed them for me put the shocks extenders back on for some reason and it was causing one of my springs to unseat like that. After I realized what had happened and removed the extenders it never happened again.

OP
OP
GrayBeard59

GrayBeard59

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S max tow
Occupation
Semi-Retired; Realtor
I'm with @Renegade on this or where he is going with it, could very well be your shocks. I bought full length shocks for my JKU when I replaced them and the guy who installed them for me put the shocks extenders back on for some reason and it was causing one of my springs to unseat like that. After I realized what had happened and removed the extenders it never happened again.
I'll have to check, but I recall seeing any extenders when I was under earlier.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I'll have to check, but I recall seeing any extenders when I was under earlier.
Not saying that it is but it could be the shocks are to long. Did you verify that they sent you the right length. I have order shocks before and got two different lengths, not saying you did but worth a check to verify.

OP
OP
GrayBeard59

GrayBeard59

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S max tow
Occupation
Semi-Retired; Realtor
Part number matches with Clayton recommendation. 985-24-221.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GrayBeard59

GrayBeard59

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S max tow
Occupation
Semi-Retired; Realtor
Those shocks are 4.7” longer than stock. Did you see how long the Clayton springs were compared to stock, uncompressed (free length)?
No I didn't compare them
Shop did install.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Fox’s rear shock sizing seems a little long to me personally. Most lifts’ stated height are based on the front, with a little less actual lift gained in the rear. If Clayton is similar, those particular rear shocks may be just a bit too long. Maybe someone on here has a free length measurement on the rear springs?

OP
OP
GrayBeard59

GrayBeard59

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S max tow
Occupation
Semi-Retired; Realtor
I like the lift , hope I can get this issue addressed because I do plan on doing some wheeling in the desert.

20210301_132530.jpg

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I like the lift , hope I can get this issue addressed because I do plan on doing some wheeling in the desert.

Jeep Gladiator Rear Spring popping out of its perch at full droop-Clayton 3.5inch Overland Plus with 35inch tires 20210301_132530
It looks good. I've only heard good things about that lift. It's probably something simple that causing it.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Assume you have Clayton rear control arms? Just curious as when I installed rear springs in my JT with stock control arms I had to force the rear axle down enough to remove the stock spring.
Sponsored