ajkaz

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
Hey All,

Took my JT in for an oil change on 9/1 at 7k miles and told them I had a slight fluid buildup behind the transmission, but not dripping to the ground yet. I needed my truck back for a Moab trip leaving on 9/23.

They changed the oil and told me they needed to order parts to fix the trans. No loaners available so I asked to have my truck back while they waited on parts, I needed to install some parts for my Moab trip, Moto Cinch, Supertop, ect. I got my truck back on 9/6 while they waited for the new trans seal.

Seal arrived, I dropped truck off on 9/13 AM, again no loaners available. They have a few different issues with seals and cant find the correct one, I miss the deadline for my trip and finally have to call Jeep Cares about getting a rental. They offer to reimburse me for a rental for my Moab trip (was lucky enough to find a Ford Transit Van, it was a dirt biking and mountain biking trip) so I get the rental, go to Moab, come back and no ETA on a seal or completion.

I know some JT's have been in the shop far longer than my 27 days, but this cant be a new issue, surely these rear trans seals have been roughly the same for the past couple years on the JTRD....

Have any of you had to stay in a rental for an extended time, did Jeep cares reimburse you?

At first my case manager was very responsive, but I've reached out 3 times since Wednesday, I haven't heard from him and no one else at Jeep Cares can help with my case.
Sponsored

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hey All,

Took my JT in for an oil change on 9/1 at 7k miles and told them I had a slight fluid buildup behind the transmission, but not dripping to the ground yet. I needed my truck back for a Moab trip leaving on 9/23.

They changed the oil and told me they needed to order parts to fix the trans. No loaners available so I asked to have my truck back while they waited on parts, I needed to install some parts for my Moab trip, Moto Cinch, Supertop, ect. I got my truck back on 9/6 while they waited for the new trans seal.

Seal arrived, I dropped truck off on 9/13 AM, again no loaners available. They have a few different issues with seals and cant find the correct one, I miss the deadline for my trip and finally have to call Jeep Cares about getting a rental. They offer to reimburse me for a rental for my Moab trip (was lucky enough to find a Ford Transit Van, it was a dirt biking and mountain biking trip) so I get the rental, go to Moab, come back and no ETA on a seal or completion.

I know some JT's have been in the shop far longer than my 27 days, but this cant be a new issue, surely these rear trans seals have been roughly the same for the past couple years on the JTRD....

Have any of you had to stay in a rental for an extended time, did Jeep cares reimburse you?

At first my case manager was very responsive, but I've reached out 3 times since Wednesday, I haven't heard from him and no one else at Jeep Cares can help with my case.
Please send our team a private message that includes your case number, we will ask your case agent to contact you.

Kate
Jeep Cares

OP
OP

ajkaz

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
Hello All,

Just an update incase this happens to you, the rear trans seal is not replaceable, so if it develops a leak they will need to replace the trans. My service advisor had a hard time getting this info from Jeep and tried for several weeks to get this seal. They dont sell the full seal as a part. I did finally get a loaner (Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn(Forget how spacious and smooth a full size truck cab is)) but unfortunately they will have the Gladiator for a bit, the trans isn't expected to arrive until Nov 11th.

Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Hello All,

Just an update incase this happens to you, the rear trans seal is not replaceable, so if it develops a leak they will need to replace the trans. My service advisor had a hard time getting this info from Jeep and tried for several weeks to get this seal. They dont sell the full seal as a part. I did finally get a loaner (Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn(Forget how spacious and smooth a full size truck cab is)) but unfortunately they will have the Gladiator for a bit, the trans isn't expected to arrive until Nov 11th.
Mine is leaking too, but have been holding off because I didn't want dealer hacks touching my truck. I did look it up in my Mitchel microfiche and they did show a seal.......may not be correct? Thought I read the trans seal was replaceable, but the tcase was not? Either way that bites.

Last edited:
OP
OP

ajkaz

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
So they have found a few different part numbers however they are all incomplete when received. It doesn't seem that there is one that completely solves the leak without replacing the trans.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello All,

You have highlighted the problems with our $60k trucks. No guaranteed loaners, terrible factory support, terrible design.

In general, if they want to provde me with a 4x4 pickup or another Jeep, I'm happy to wait as long as it takes. I'm thrilled to put the miles on their vehicle.

But if I'm on my own, I will be pissed. Very pissed.

Cars break. Its a measure of the manufacturer how they handle it.

Jeep seems to do a generally terrible job. There are multiple failures illustrated here.

1) Bad design - how can you design a transmission iwhtout a replaceable bearing? Insanity. I suspect that ZF didn't design it this way, the truth is the FCA just doesn't have a procedure to replace the seal.

Seals are exceedinly standardized items. You generally have the ID, OD and thickness in addition to other performance specs. You can get one from Amazon for god's sake

2) Terrible dealer support - How can something as simple as a seal, or even a transmission be backordered for weeks? Its still more insanity.

3) No dealer support for loaners. There are reasons you are given a loaner as a matter of policy by Hyundai/Genesis, Volvo, MB, Lexus, etc. The factory requires dealers to put cars into a loaner fleet and then pays them to do so.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I suppose I need to stuff a q-tip in the slot and see if its red or green fluid? I have not seen the tcase fluid level drop over the past 30k miles, but it just enough for dust to stick.

jensjer

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM, Wrangler LJ
Occupation
PhotoAd
If it's a replacement it's a 1 day job max 2 with issues.. , = two day loaner.. No dealers gonna park a vehicle to await a trans to come in.. and their not going to dedicate a week to installing a trans.. insane

Sponsored

OP
OP

ajkaz

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
If it's a replacement it's a 1 day job max 2 with issues.. , = two day loaner.. No dealers gonna park a vehicle to await a trans to come in.. and their not going to dedicate a week to installing a trans.. insane
Well you can tell my dealer that... Mines been parked a month already and wont move for another month...

OP
OP

ajkaz

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
I suppose I need to stuff a q-tip in the slot and see if its red or green fluid? I have not seen the tcase fluid level drop over the past 30k miles, but it just enough for dust to stick.
Mine started with slight dirty residue, then eventually around the 6k mile mark the areas below the crossmember were always slightly wet with fluid. Never enough to drip, but enough to start making a mess of everything downstream.

I was in the middle of dialing in my suspension too, I really want it back to swap rear springs and test the elick shocks....

@CrazyCooter I'm likely adding these up front to recover lost uptravel due to the factory bumps and elick shocks, but also to stop the shock bodies from hitting the frame at full flex. Will likely add a wheel spacer up front for clearance as well because I'm running factory wheels.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well you can tell my dealer that... Mines been parked a month already and wont move for another month...
If I wasn't provided with a loaner, I'd drive it until they were ready to fix it.

If I was provided with a nice new Ram, I'd be happy to wait and put miles on their car.

It sounds like they are taking care of you as far as loaners and rentals.

But if you would rather be driving your Jeep right now, just go get it and drive it until they are ready to do the repair.

OP
OP

ajkaz

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
If I wasn't provided with a loaner, I'd drive it until they were ready to fix it.

If I was provided with a nice new Ram, I'd be happy to wait and put miles on their car.

It sounds like they are taking care of you as far as loaners and rentals.

But if you would rather be driving your Jeep right now, just go get it and drive it until they are ready to do the repair.
I'm okay, I was just replying to Jensjer's message. However I will add that I wanted to take my truck (I needed it for a Moab trip) and they said it was not drivable.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm okay, I was just replying to Jensjer's message. However I will add that I wanted to take my truck (I needed it for a Moab trip) and they said it was not drivable.
Ha. Its your truck. You can take it if you want it.

A slow transmission leak that doesn't even make drops on the ground is nothing to worry about.
I write this as someone who worked as a service writer and technician when I was younger.

If I needed it, I'd drive it out with the spare key. But again, if I was in your situation, I'd be happy as a clam driving around in their truck.
Sponsored