Sponsored

Recommended salesperson in the Austin TX area

atxatxatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2Grand Cherokee,Gladiator Mojave
Howdy,

I'm a current JKU and GC owner, considering a Gladiator to replace the JKU.

With Nyle Maxwell and Covert here in Austin do you guys have a recommendation on a sales person that you worked successfully with ? One from each dealership would be ideal.

Previous person that I bought my JKU from at Nyle Maxwell is no longer there.

It would be most appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored

Squelch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi Gladiator, Energica Ribelle, Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I know it's not either of your options, but I went with Mac Haik because they offered 6% below invoice if you're a Tread Lightly member and finance with them. I had to set everything up while I was in Afghanistan and picked up the truck after I got home. Eric Lee was the salesperson I worked with and he took care of it all for me. I ended up going with my own financing (did the 36 months for 0% deal) so I only got 5% off invoice. Once it came time to pick up the truck it only took 45 minutes or an hour to go through the whole process.

WhippetTaxi

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 410, 2011 BMW 1M, 2001 F250
Occupation
Retired
Howdy,

I'm a current JKU and GC owner, considering a Gladiator to replace the JKU.

With Nyle Maxwell and Covert here in Austin do you guys have a recommendation on a sales person that you worked successfully with ? One from each dealership would be ideal.
I shopped at Maxwell, Covert, and Mac Haik while looking for a new Gladiator in June. I cannot recommend any of them based on my experience. Bottom line as far as sales persons is that the sales manager at the dealership called all the shots and the sales person had no authority to negotiate a deal.

(1) At Maxwell, I had trouble getting a returned call from the "Internet sales" contact. Once dealing with him, he seemed pretty disinterested in learning about the specs I wanted and kept leaving his desk after each question I had to consult with his manager. Nearly all of their inventory at the time was white and black colors. After the second visit as I was standing up to leave, the salesperson came back from the manager's office with a window sticker for a Gobi Gladiator saying that it was at one of their other dealerships in the San Antonio area. I did a pretty extensive online search when I got home and finally found that truck at Covert, not at any Maxwell store. I'm sure they could have done a dealer trade, but the fact that they represented it as a Maxwell Jeep and the fact that their best deal was several hundred more than the Covert advertised price made me walk away for good.

(2) Went to Covert to look at that vehicle and another that they showed in inventory in Gator color (and either would have worked for me). The salesperson could not find the Gobi that I was interested in purchasing; turned out it was on an "extended test drive." I found out later that the sales manager had loaned it to a relative to drive for a few days. After a third appointment to see the vehicle was canceled, I gave up. The sales manager later texted me to offer a great price, but I don't know if they ever actually had the Jeep available.

(3) Mak Haik was probably the worst (sorry, I know they are a forum sponsor) because they had a mandatory smorgasbord of overpriced and unnecessary dealer add ons to the tune of $1,800. I won't do business with a dealer that wants to charge for fabric sealant, tracking devices, paint protection, etc. unless it's something I want to include in the deal. Sales person was friendly, but did not know the Gladiator specs (he was bragging about the acceleration on the Gladiator's turbo four cylinder as we were getting on the I-35 onramp).

Good luck.

Squelch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi Gladiator, Energica Ribelle, Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
(3) Mak Haik was probably the worst (sorry, I know they are a forum sponsor) because they had a mandatory smorgasbord of overpriced and unnecessary dealer add ons to the tune of $1,800. I won't do business with a dealer that wants to charge for fabric sealant, tracking devices, paint protection, etc. unless it's something I want to include in the deal. Sales person was friendly, but did not know the Gladiator specs (he was bragging about the acceleration on the Gladiator's turbo four cylinder as we were getting on the I-35 onramp).
Were you looking to buy off the lot? Maybe that was the difference - I special ordered mine exactly how I wanted it (since i had a few months before I was going to be home) and they even took off the Mac Haik sticker on the tailgate. I didn't get any extras added to the truck and it was built out per the quote I got from Eric.

WhippetTaxi

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Were you looking to buy off the lot? Maybe that was the difference - I special ordered mine exactly how I wanted it (since i had a few months before I was going to be home) and they even took off the Mac Haik sticker on the tailgate. I didn't get any extras added to the truck and it was built out per the quote I got from Eric.
Yes, I was looking for one on the lot since it was getting toward the end of the model year. Glad you had a positive experience doing a special order! That may account for the difference.

Sponsored

OP
OP
atxatxatx

atxatxatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Whitarmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2014 JKR
I agree with the reviews of covert. I had similar experiences there. If you are willing to drive a little further, bluebonnet in New Braunfels is exactly what their internet price shows with no haggle. Gave me the extended warranty 50% off and the tread lightly discount. I was in a and out quick

OP
OP
atxatxatx

atxatxatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to update here, I did purchase a Mojave this morning. Ended up with Nyle Maxwell, they had a nice Gobi in the right spec for me and with a significant discount - add to that I got a great trade in value on my JKU.
Covert were very slow in responding to me, and what they were selling was too expensive - I also felt that they were not motivated to sell.

WhippetTaxi

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Congratulations!!

GladiatorCruzen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Elevator Superintendent
I just went through negotiations... Ended up going with Covert to order my new build. Salesperson is Scott Anderson and his supervisor Mark.

Covert - 6% below, best initial trade offer, and no deposit required. Very straightforward and easy to deal with so far.

Nyle Maxwell - never committed to price below invoice and played games by not being honest. Told me to bring trade and then tried to sell me something on lot when I told them I wanted to order. I ended up walking out after they wasted about 3 hours of my day.

Mac Haik - 6% below and initially said $2k deposit, but they “would see what they could do...” Straightforward and offered second best deal on initial trade offer.

San Marcos - never committed to price, and offered lowest amount on Initial trade offer.

South Point - late to return call and emails. I didn’t bother returning calls or emails once they finally got back to me.
Sponsored