Redarc Brake Controller Install Location

LukeR

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I just purchased the Redarc brake controller and have been looking for a spot to install the knob. I was thinking about installing it on the center console just in front of the the 4 wheel driver shifter. I haven't taken it all the way out yet but it looks like I should have clearance based on what I could see/feel. Has anyone attempted this yet? Hoping for some advise before I start ripping everything out this weekend.
Jeep Gladiator Redarc Brake Controller Install Location 20200901_220313
Sponsored

Buck1ze

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCM Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I just purchased the Redarc brake controller and have been looking for a spot to install the knob. I was thinking about installing it on the center console just in front of the the 4 wheel driver shifter. I haven't taken it all the way out yet but it looks like I should have clearance based on what I could see/feel. Has anyone attempted this yet? Hoping for some advise before I start ripping everything out this weekend.
20200901_220313.jpg
Unfortunately there is nowhere convenient to mount the knob on the center console unless you have a manual transmission. Don’t waste your time tearing it apart. Linkage and brackets are in the way.
Here is where I mounted mine... View attachment 101191
Jeep Gladiator Redarc Brake Controller Install Location 0DE473A1-D057-4DAB-9542-B7D1DA9F5213

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
I went with the location they used in this video:

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1997 TJ, 2017 Honda CRF250L
Occupation
Automotive Product Quality Engineer
I made a panel and mounted it where the locker switches would be on a Rubicon (mine is an Overland).

IMG_2452.jpg

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
I made a panel and mounted it where the locker switches would be on a Rubicon (mine is an Overland).

Jeep Gladiator Redarc Brake Controller Install Location IMG_2452
That's pretty slick, the cubby there is useless anyway.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Stock location for me - relocating the 12v outlet someday, but I love Scruf's idea.

Jeep Gladiator Redarc Brake Controller Install Location 18-20200915_144204_HDR

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Just be very careful when you drill!

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I mounted my brake controller in the "vent" a little longer and to the left of where "Buckize" installed his. At first I figured it would be temporary but I have no reason to relocate it. I can reach it easy and out of way. Light from controller isn't a problem at night. Mine is a different brand.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's your truck, your trailer, your controller, mount it where you want it, what works best for you, where you can reach it in emergency (say you need to pull out of a sway quickly, etc.) and where it doesn't bother you when not in use.
The only rule is - as WXman said - be very careful where yo drill. Look before you drill -
I was putting a larger mirror on my IH 1086 years ago so I could watch my sprayer a bit better, and more easily watch the wide disk harrow attachments I had put in the disk.
Hey, this pillar looks great, drill a couple of holes, a couple of sheet metal screws and off we go.
I drilled one hole - perfect, drilled the next and heard this hissing.
Let me tell you - AC hoses for tractors and the labor to do the repair - not cheap.
Yeah, they ran the AC lines up that cab pillar.

Advguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel, '19 Volvo XC40
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Hey guys,
On the Redarc Tow Pro Elite - is there any need to swap any fuses out? I ask because the Redarc manual says something about 30A. The fuses are 20A. Also, the pigtail supplied by Jeep included an extra 20A fuse.

I installed the Redarc yesterday - same location as eTrailer - I thought I had it all set but after I put everything back together, i noticed the button wasn't pushing in... back in the garage we go!

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,
On the Redarc Tow Pro Elite - is there any need to swap any fuses out? I ask because the Redarc manual says something about 30A. The fuses are 20A. Also, the pigtail supplied by Jeep included an extra 20A fuse.

I installed the Redarc yesterday - same location as eTrailer - I thought I had it all set but after I put everything back together, i noticed the button wasn't pushing in... back in the garage we go!
What pigtail? I have no such fuse in a pigtail.

Advguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel, '19 Volvo XC40
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Hey guys,

Figured out the issue... The threading on the male side of the button is stripped (preventing the locking nut from seating straight and completely). Spoke to eTrailer and they are shipping a new button.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My Overland shipped with a pigtail and 20A fuse for trailer brake controller installation.
Wow, that's interesting. My 2020 didn't ship with any such connector/harness.
I wonder why the inline fuse since the PDC should have a trailer brake controller fuse in it.
WEIRD.

My wife's Grand Cherokees come with a pigtail - and they don't have a fuse in them. The last three had the pigtail in the glove box, it was just wiring.

Whitejeeptj

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 2013 F150 FX4, Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
MRI tech
I just bought a tow pro elite with TPH-001 harness.......is that all I need for the install?? It is a bit confusing as to which one I'll need.
Thanks
Sponsored