Redarc towing install

Weston.cain

First Name
Weston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
So I just wanted to throw this out there for the two left handed mechanics like myself. I tried to install the redarc electrical brake controller on my Gladiator today. Followed the same steps and techniques that was posted on here previously and ended up with a hole in my dash. I found that installing it by the bottom left side speaker to be super simple and far more forgiving it you screw something up. So moral of the story is if you plan to install it by the push button start make sure your holes are 100% in the right spot because there is no forgiveness in that angle of the panel. See pictures below where I ended up placing it.

20200223_173846.jpg

20200223_173852.jpg
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yep that's what I'd do.

And yes, drilling the holes is the only tricky part. You must keep that white ring that you're using as a template in EXACTLY the same position throughout the process of drilling. You can't let it scoot even a single millimeter.

OP
OP
Weston.cain

Weston.cain

First Name
Weston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Find a panel plug like one of these to stick in the hole you put in the wrong place.
They sell them at automotive stores.
images.jpg
Thanks for this, I had no clue

OP
OP
Weston.cain

Weston.cain

First Name
Weston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Yep that's what I'd do.

And yes, drilling the holes is the only tricky part. You must keep that white ring that you're using as a template in EXACTLY the same position throughout the process of drilling. You can't let it scoot even a single millimeter.
Yeah we had the holes lined up perfectly,I believe I had them to far to the right though. Because behind the dash there was zero room and the switch component would not set flush due to it hitting something behind it.

I figured I would post this up though incase anyone wanted an alternatate spot to put it especially if you are not confident in drilling holes and you want to keep your 12v.

Sponsored

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold), 2020 F150 Powerstroke
I just ordered the redarc from etrailer over the phone. Everything showed up and I installed. I wanted to mount it next to the light control panel, left of the steering wheel/blinker, but that wouldn't work due to mounting limitations. I saw a JL with a Curt controller there, but figured it was a surface mount. So, I removed the 12V in the center stack. As others have said, just break the plastic or find/buy the tool.

I mounted the control module under the dash using zip ties. I added a felt bottom to avoid any future squeaks. I then mounted the control head only to find that they sent the "universal" trim plate. Learn from me, you need the large circular trim panel made for Chevy/Isuzu trucks. I emailed etrailer, and they have the correct plate in the mail. There are 4 different trim plates.

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just ordered the redarc from etrailer over the phone. Everything showed up and I installed. I wanted to mount it next to the light control panel, left of the steering wheel/blinker, but that wouldn't work due to mounting limitations. I saw a JL with a Curt controller there, but figured it was a surface mount. So, I removed the 12V in the center stack. As others have said, just break the plastic or find/buy the tool.

I mounted the control module under the dash using zip ties. I added a felt bottom to avoid any future squeaks. I then mounted the control head only to find that they sent the "universal" trim plate. Learn from me, you need the large circular trim panel made for Chevy/Isuzu trucks. I emailed etrailer, and they have the correct plate in the mail. There are 4 different trim plates.
20200222_103935.jpg

20200222_103920.jpg

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
When you get the replacement, think about painting the letters before mounting it. I did mine after I had installed it and it is a lot harder. I used white out and used a rag with WD-40 to wipe off the excess. Yours might look good with red letters.
Here is mine:
Resized_20191204_132556_3892.jpeg

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
When you get the replacement, think about painting the letters before mounting it. I did mine after I had installed it and it is a lot harder. I used white out and used a rag with WD-40 to wipe off the excess. Yours might look good with red letters.
Here is mine:
Resized_20191204_132556_3892.jpeg
x2, @KVJ gave me the idea and mine looks much better. I used a Laquerstik and KVJ’s trick for the WD-40 lightly on a rag. I like the white because it goes with all the other white letters on the dash and gives it a nice clean look.

C0302E06-0810-484D-9400-4B4CF29A7013.jpeg

Sponsored

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where did you source the laquerstick? I was familiar with the white out. I am planning to get the letters white, I don't think red would look that great.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Here is mine:
Jeep Gladiator Redarc towing install 481FD550-D581-4FB8-9F37-CF8A1AE042BC
Sorry, but you painted with white out, white out? Like fix a mistake on paper kind? Does it hold up well?