Sponsored

Regearing and Towing

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
How does re-gearing affect towing? Obviously the gearing affects tow capacity (but is not the only factor) because the Sport with Max Tow and Rubicon have 4.10 and can tow way more than the Sport/Overland.

I got my JT (Max Tow) primarily for hauling. I'm not putting anything bigger than 33s on it (as above that towing is affected, I'd say 20% - see my thread on that subject for how I got to that number). But when I get a 4dr Wrangler and put 37s on it with a slight lift I'll want to re-gear it for a better ride and will need to know how much stuff I can tow on a small trailer behind it to the trails.
Sponsored

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
In my experience regearing my 4.10 JK to 4.56 (thinking again, it may have been 4.88) didn't make a difference. It was still sluggish towing ~3,400 lb. The Pentastar has only so much to give. The only reason I can see for regearing is to accommodate larger diameter tires. There, I saw a difference. But for increasing towing capacity, I wouldn't spend the money.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
In my experience regearing my 4.10 JK to 4.56 (thinking again, it may have been 4.88) didn't make a difference. It was still sluggish towing ~3,400 lb. The Pentastar has only so much to give. The only reason I can see for regearing is to accommodate larger diameter tires. There, I saw a difference. But for increasing towing capacity, I wouldn't spend the money.
My thinking is that it would only matter "taking off from a stop" with a load, otherwise the transmission will choose whatever gear it needs to keep engine speed up for the road speed requested. If the higher ratio - 4.10 keeps it in 6th or 7th with a load about all lower gears would do is allow it to hit a higher gear sooner or more often.
Anyway, that's my thinking on it now after much observation and thinking about it.

Fastwake

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You are exactly right with the gear ratio. If you want a lower gear then manually down shift 😂
Sponsored