Regearing instead of Max. Tow. Pkg.

Ryan Carlson

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Nissan Pick-up
How expensive and advisable is it to aftermarket regear to 4.10, 4.56, 4.88? Is it advisable to put an aftermarket rear locker on the automatic or the manual?

The backstory is I'm considering the max tow pkg, but almost entirely for the gearing. I understand the base model axels are still Dana 44s, just 1.5 inches narrower. I will be just towing 2 dirt bikes. It also seems the anti slip is not worth much, but doesn't come with this package.
Sponsored

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
The max tow is what I went with, and it has the most value for the dollar of all the packages. You get the HD Dana 44s, with thicker axle tubes besides being wider. And the 4.10 gears. You also get HD disc brakes, 240 amp alternater to power a larger fan and get better cooling, a zoom on the trailer hitch camera, So it's more than just wider axles.

But I have regeared a JK and JKU, and added in aftermarket lockers and was quite please with the results. That works too; but it does void the powertrain warranty which is something to consider

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
How expensive and advisable is it to aftermarket regear to 4.10, 4.56, 4.88? Is it advisable to put an aftermarket rear locker on the automatic or the manual?

The backstory is I'm considering the max tow pkg, but almost entirely for the gearing. I understand the base model axels are still Dana 44s, just 1.5 inches narrower. I will be just towing 2 dirt bikes. It also seems the anti slip is not worth much, but doesn't come with this package.
Regearing your axles will cost nearly $1000, unless you do it yourself. After that, you’re still stuck with weaker axles to begin with. The MaxTow package is a bargain. Do it.

Sponsored

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
Max tow is only available with automatic.
does the max tow hurt payload? I heard the base sport and sport s (even the manuals) get 1600lbs of payload and the overland and rubicon only get 1100lbs of payload.

OzarkJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
The max tow is what I went with, and it has the most value for the dollar of all the packages. You get the HD Dana 44s, with thicker axle tubes besides being wider. And the 4.10 gears. You also get HD disc brakes, 240 amp alternater to power a larger fan and get better cooling, a zoom on the trailer hitch camera, So it's more than just wider axles.
The $250 trailer tow package provides:
240 amp alternator
Heavy duty cooling
Trailer hitch zoom
Class 4 hitch

So the extra $745 for the max tow provides:
4.10 gears
Heavy duty wide axles

If you want to regear to 4.56 or 4.88 anyway, then you are essentially paying $745 for 1.5” wider axles only like the OP says. I believe all gladiators get the M220 axles, so don’t believe the wide axles provide any additional strength (anybody confirm that?).

If you want to regear to 4.10 anyway, than max tow makes total sense.

All assuming you want auto since max tow isn’t available with manual.

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
If you want to regear to 4.56 or 4.88 anyway, then you are essentially paying $745 for 1.5” wider axles only like the OP says. I believe all gladiators get the M220 axles, so don’t believe the wide axles provide any additional strength (anybody confirm that?).

doesn't max tow get you better breaks too?

I want to regear to 4.88 or 5.13 and make a torque monster and so the 2OD gears (5th and 6th which are a .8 and .7) are usable. I want the manual.

--------------------------------------------------

I think, don't remember, someone was tellig me the wider axels in the max tow = less payload.

OzarkJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
does the max tow hurt payload? I heard the base sport and sport s (even the manuals) get 1600lbs of payload and the overland and rubicon only get 1100lbs of payload.
The reduced payload of Rubi is because of extra weight (rock rails, lockers, etc). Rubi weighs 400lbs more than Sport. It’s payload is 400lbs less.
upload_2019-8-11_12-48-3.png

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
doesn't max tow get you better breaks too?

I want to regear to 4.88 or 5.13 and make a torque monster and so the 2OD gears (5th and 6th which are a .8 and .7) are usable. I want the manual.

--------------------------------------------------

I think, don't remember, someone was tellig me the wider axels in the max tow = less payload.
Max tow does give better brakes too, and the highest payload is Sport with Max tow.

240 amp alternator
Heavy duty cooling
Trailer hitch zoom
Class 4 hitch

So the extra $745 for the max tow provides:
4.10 gears
Heavy duty wide axles

A gear set will be about $600 and then you need two bearing kits and install kits, so $745 is quite a good price for the gears

I would add that if you are going to regear to 4.56 or 4.88, go for the plain tow package. Rubi axles have longer axle shafts with different spline counts and you would have to change those out as well, and you will have a much wider variety of parts with normal width axles.

If 4.10 is good enough, the max tow is a good deal

Sponsored

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
Max tow does give better brakes too, and the highest payload is Sport with Max tow.

A gear set will be about $600 and then you need two bearing kits and install kits, so $745 is quite a good price for the gears

I would add that if you are going to regear to 4.56 or 4.88, go for the plain tow package. Rubi axles have longer axle shafts with different spline counts and you would have to change those out as well, and you will have a much wider variety of parts with normal width axles.
when you say gear set ^ I need to regear both the front and rear diff plus transfser case or?

unless i'm looking at:
wrong... isn't the sport manual the highest payload? 1600?

OzarkJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Max tow does give better brakes too, and the highest payload is Sport with Max Tow
According to the order guide, all models of the gladiator get the same brakes...HD disc brakes. The max tow package doesn’t offer different brakes.

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
when you say gear set ^ I need to regear both the front and rear diff plus transfser case or?

unless i'm looking at:

wrong... isn't the sport manual the highest payload? 1600?
Yes you have to regear front and rear diff. Not the transfer case, but some places sell gear sets which include front and rear, and saves a few bucks.

I always forget about the manual; there just aren't many around

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
According to the order guide, all models of the gladiator get the same brakes...HD disc brakes. The max tow package doesn’t offer different brakes.
If you look at the Max Tow package it lists HD brakes as one of the components, which if we are wrong is where people are getting the wrong impression

OzarkJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you look at the Max Tow package it lists HD brakes as one of the components, which if we are wrong is where people are getting the wrong impression
I saw that too. Then I scrolled down and saw that all models already get those same brakes as standard. Confused why they list it as a component under the max tow package if all models already get it standard.
Sponsored