ReGearing soon, question about the break in period for new gears.

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
ReGearing because I miss seeing 8th sometimes 7th gear. I'm running 35s with 3.73.

I know the break in procedure but I'm a little dubious about changing the oil in "Both" differentials.

My Glad is primarily pavement queen and the front axel will most likely see no action. So after the break in period, do I have to change the oil in both Diffs even though the front Diff is basically there for decoration?

Sorry, first time owning a 4x4.

Advertisement

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland
Vehicle Showcase
ReGearing because I miss seeing 8th sometimes 7th gear. I'm running 35s with 3.73.

I know the break in procedure but I'm a little dubious about changing the oil in "Both" differentials.

My Glad is primarily pavement queen and the front axel will most likely see no action. So after the break in period, do I have to change the oil in both Diffs even though the front Diff is basically there for decoration?

Sorry, first time owning a 4x4.
My $.02... While you could probably get away with it, it’s usually included in the cost of the regear. If not, it’s a minor cost for piece of mind for an expensive regear.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland; 2018 Grand Cherokee; 2004 Grand Cherokee Special Edition; 1970 Javelin(sold); 1973 Javelin; 1982 Eagle SX4
Occupation
Retired auto tech, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My $.02... While you could probably get away with it, it’s usually included in the cost of the regear. If not, it’s a minor cost for piece of mind for an expensive regear.
I do agree - and I wonder about this ->
What I think I would do is find a place where you could drive it a bit in 4H and work things around a bit. The thing about older differentials with a FAD is that the carrier gears are still spinning in the carrier even if the carrier with ring and pinion don't turn. I'd want to "Exercise" it and churn things up, work the gears a bit even if just a field or pasture for a few minutes. Find a gravel road and exercise it.
The time and lube is cheap - compared...........

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator max tow
I recommend 50 miles of gentle driving, accel and decel, on each set of gears, with the best quality lube to help prevent scuffing. Then change both lubes, again using quality stuff. I like Mobil 1 syn and Lubrication Engineers 1605.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 911 C2S
Over the years, there's been a ton of debate on gear break in. Here's the thing, do you break in your gears on your brand new truck? Probably not. Only one shop Ive got gears done at has suggested a fluid change at 500 and that was in my 05 LJR where I went really deep 5.38s which in those axles, was a small pinion and they wanted to check everything out. Was free to me. Other than that, everyone else said drive to highway speeds, conservatively for few minutes, slow down and let the gears cool to touch. Drive again same way. Done. Dont over think this.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
I would agree with Andrew above.

However, on the multiple regears I have done, I have always been told go easy for the first 50 miles. After 500 change the oil and you're set. I tend to go a bit over on both of those items, but never had issues. I trust my 4x4 shop so I do what theysay.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 JTR Hydro Blue Pearl, 2019 JLUS Mojito!, 2021 JLU 80th Snazz on order | Past 2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Re-geared mine 1-1/2 weeks ago, performed 4 20 minute heat cycles with cool down in between. Engaged 4wd hi at stop lights where the road was straight with speeds up to 30mph within those heat cycles. After those, went on two 15 minute heat cycles on the expressway with cool down in between then one last heat cycle on the expressway for 20 miles then cool down on the way home. Continued on my way home, all expressway between 60-75 for 400 miles. I will be doing the 500 mile service this week.

Advertisement

Advertisement