First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
I'll be putting on a set of 37/12.50-17s pretty much as soon as my pick my gladiator up this weekend
I'll be the only one driving my Jeep for the most part.
I'll be airing up/down when I go trail riding.

For the above reason, I had planned on just installing regular valve steps in my new wheels and turning the TPMS off via my Tazer. Not sure if I'll sell my factory tires/wheels or not at this time, but I know if I do they would fetch a better price with the TPMS sensors installed. I figured a 37" tall tire on a 17" rim, if it's low I'm going to know about it pretty quick, not like a low profile tire where a flat isn't noticeable until you start driving.

Anyone remove the TPMS system and regret it?
Sponsored

jpfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Sport S
I did the same thing when I switched to 35’s. It doesn’t bother me not having them. Most of the vehicles I’ve owned never had that option anyway. I do see the benifit of quickly checking pressures on the fly but to me it’s not necessary.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I like having it, it has alerted me to a nail in my wife’s MDX twice, otherwise I would not have known it, tire looked fine both times but was under 30psi from stock 36psi.

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Caught a screw in my tire, glad the pressure drop was indicated, and I made it home to avoid a tire change in the "Wild".

Angry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
I turned my TPMS off when I swapped tires and haven't regretted it at all. It's a convenience, to be sure, but prior to the Ford/Firestone fiasco of 2000 we all survived without it. Another "required" feature forced upon us by incompetence and litigation.

Sponsored

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech
I just set my 35's(x10.5r17) at 30 psi and adjusted front and rear psi limits down to 30 with the Taser. Doesn't bug me when aired down as it only warns once with the start of the vehicle, but is still handy for having an alert system for street driving. If it was dedicated off road only I would chuck the TPMS because the vehicle will only recognize settings down to 25 psi.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I like the TPSM , between work truck and my JT, use it all the time ,have had five flats in work truck usually about two a year, usually a nail or metal object in tire three times I got to our company truck shops as tire was airing down, the JT, goes on the beach a lot airing up and down using trail head deflators of which three are at 20psi and one is at 19psi, sensors work well at that pressure as there is always one at 19 and some day I’ll set it up better. I would keep them, but you can do as you wish…..Jack

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I like having it, it has alerted me to a nail in my wife’s MDX twice, otherwise I would not have known it, tire looked fine both times but was under 30psi from stock 36psi.
I was driving with my wife on the way to go have open heart surgery. The tpms light came on and before I could do anything, kaboom! Tire blew up. It was actually nice having a few moments notice. I don't mind it but it's not a must have either.

Puch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Electronics technician
I'll be putting on a set of 37/12.50-17s pretty much as soon as my pick my gladiator up this weekend
I'll be the only one driving my Jeep for the most part.
I'll be airing up/down when I go trail riding.

For the above reason, I had planned on just installing regular valve steps in my new wheels and turning the TPMS off via my Tazer. Not sure if I'll sell my factory tires/wheels or not at this time, but I know if I do they would fetch a better price with the TPMS sensors installed. I figured a 37" tall tire on a 17" rim, if it's low I'm going to know about it pretty quick, not like a low profile tire where a flat isn't noticeable until you start driving.

Anyone remove the TPMS system and regret it?
Turned my TPMS off after I bought 35 x 12.5’s. I survived a long time without them before and don’t miss it at all. I think the idiot light would be on all the time if I didn’t turn it off? Not sure what the factory psi minimum is? I run my tires at 30 (cold) in the summer.

OP
OP

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
Thanks everyone, kind of confirmed what I was thinking. I can definitely see the advantage on a car/crossover with a low profile, if the tire goes flat it might not be apparent, but with 20" of sidewall, if a tire is low it's going to be apparent.
Sponsored