Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
After installing the mopar break controller i no longer have a 12v plug.

Knowing JUST enough to be dangerous when it comes to electronics i want to get some knowledgeable thoughts on this one.

im thinking I can use one of the 40a aux lines with my aux switches to wire in another plug using the plug pictured below.

will it work?

FEE6AA36-2023-41D3-AC1E-C7637928DB99.jpeg

0B22C02B-3913-4082-9FFF-9262B53314CA.png
Sponsored

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
That will work - but the aux switches are rated for far more than that 12v outlet can handle. I would consider one of the other aux switches with a lower amp rating, or replace the fuses with something more appropriate.

Under the carpet on the left side of the foot well of the passenger seat sorta where that plastic clip thing is there is a bolt that works good for a ground.

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
That will work - but the aux switches are rated for far more than that 12v outlet can handle. I would consider one of the other aux switches with a lower amp rating, or replace the fuses with something more appropriate.

Under the carpet on the left side of the foot well of the passenger seat sorta where that plastic clip thing is there is a bolt that works good for a ground.
the cable on the pictures plug says its a 20a cable so I was hoping it would be fine. But like I said..i know just enough to be dangerous (so really very little when it comes to electrical)

i have the plugs from the oem12v plug still behind the dash. They make a cable for adding CB radio and stuff like that but It looks like a splitter to me and I wasn’t sure if that would work for re wiring another plug or not.

DA9D0C59-47D5-4F05-A27F-AEE5D0E23640.jpeg

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Came here to say the exact same thing. You could try and find a beefier outlet that handles 40 amps, but then then again what would you be running through a 12v outlet like that which draws 40 amps? That a LOT of amperage for that kind of outlet.

I would think the 10 amp is more than enough for whatever you plug in there, and would be the safest for protection.

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
the cable on the pictures plug says its a 20a cable so I was hoping it would be fine. But like I said..i know just enough to be dangerous (so really very little when it comes to electrical)

i have the plugs from the oem12v plug still behind the dash. They make a cable for adding CB radio and stuff like that but It looks like a splitter to me and I wasn’t sure if that would work for re wiring another plug or not.

Yeah, this will work fine for what you want to do, you just won't use the male plug that would normally go to the oem 12v socket.

There is one caveat though with this harness, the fused end on the tap is only 10a vs the factory 20a. Depending on what you want to use this for, that may not matter to you.

You could modify the harness and cut off the male end that would go to the oem socket and use that for the new socket basically giving you the oem capacity.

I agree with the others, I would not waste the 40a aux output for this.

Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

You know, if I were in your position, I'd absolutely use the existing plug behind the dash and extend it. I mean why not? It's already on the right circuit, has the factory delayed-switching after shutdown, already routed up to a central location, and already fused appropriately. It seems the simplest and most straight forward way to go about it. And it doesn't mess with your aux switches.

If an adapter for a CB radio or something has the required plug end on it, then you could easily make it work for anything you want, including relocation of the socket.

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, this will work fine for what you want to do, you just won't use the male plug that would normally go to the oem 12v socket.

There is one caveat though with this harness, the fused end on the tap is only 10a vs the factory 20a. Depending on what you want to use this for, that may not matter to you.

You could modify the harness and cut off the male end that would go to the oem socket and use that for the new socket basically giving you the oem capacity.

I agree with the others, I would not waste the 40a aux output for this.
hypothetically couldn’t i just stick a 20a fuse in the slot? If thats what the oem plug ran off than id rather have it be that. Everything i used the oem plug for worked, and im unsure if those same items will work on 10a

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hypothetically couldn’t i just stick a 20a fuse in the slot? If thats what the oem plug ran off than id rather have it be that. Everything i used the oem plug for worked, and im unsure if those same items will work on 10a
Fuses are matched to the wires, not the accessories. If you want to up the fuse size, you need to make sure the wire gauge is also appropriately increased.

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
You know, if I were in your position, I'd absolutely use the existing plug behind the dash and extend it. I mean why not? It's already on the right circuit, has the factory delayed-switching after shutdown, already routed up to a central location, and already fused appropriately. It seems the simplest and most straight forward way to go about it. And it doesn't mess with your aux switches.

If an adapter for a CB radio or something has the required plug end on it, then you could easily make it work for anything you want, including relocation of the socket.
I would LOVE to use it. Accept during the mopar break controller install I removed the 12v plug its self and left the wiring tucked in the dash.

im sure I could fins that plug. But then I run into the fact that the oem wiring is super short and Id still need an extension to re route the plug anywhere meaningful.

i’m pretty sure I remember seeing or reading that someone made their own extension. But my memory is for crud and I can’t recall the details.

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
You could and you'd probably be OK, I'm just not sure the wire size is rated for 20a, where the splitter wires are as they were intended to pass the original 20a to the oem socket

Sponsored

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester

Jeep Gladiator Relocate 12v plug DA9D0C59-47D5-4F05-A27F-AEE5D0E23640

The wires might be rated at 20a but who knows what the plastic inside is like. I have the same plug, combined alongside a USB and USB-C plug, and is fused at 10a, maybe 15, but I think 10. Anyway, I can't imagine pulling more than 10a from one of those things anyway. 10a is a heck of a lot of power for anything yo would charge inside the cab. My fridge only pulls 2.5a - phone probably pulls 2.5-3a. Maybe a computer with a cigar plug charger could pull 10a but even those I think are no more than 5.

I would be curious what you would want to use it for - that would be an important thing to figure out before settling on wiring configurations.

The tap from quadratic is cool - but I dont know that it is the right route to go honestly. You might be better off extending that harness and putting the amazon cigar port where you want. Using that quadratic part will result in leaving some wiring plugs exposed - although you could just tape over them too. Now if you used that quadratic wire set, and cut off the ends to extend the wire to where you wanted it, that would work pretty nice and it would give you the proper rated circuit (I believe 10a?).

But also - the point of fuses is to protect wires and divices from melting/catching fire. So being that the device is rated to handle up to 20a, but the circuit you want to use is currently fused at 40a - that could cause a problem. So it would be good to make the fuse at a lower amp rating than the rest of the circuit. Or you could consider using one of the other aux wires. I think 1 and 2 are 40a and 3 and 4 are 15amps?

0a fuse in the slot? If thats what the oem plug ran off than id rather have it be that. Everything i used the oem plug for wo
people be responding too fast - see last paragraph above. Fuses are to protect wires and circuits not devices - so quadratic using a 10a fuse probably means the wires they used there are not capable of handling more than 10a.

Jeep Gladiator Relocate 12v plug Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 18.32.06

Another option would be use aux circuit 3 or 4. they are rated at 15 amps. Your cigar lighter on amazon is capable of handling 20 amps. so that provides the proper protection, given the wires you use to go from aux 3 or 4 to the cigar plug are sized appropriately

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
I would LOVE to use it. Accept during the mopar break controller install I removed the 12v plug its self and left the wiring tucked in the dash.

im sure I could fins that plug. But then I run into the fact that the oem wiring is super short and Id still need an extension to re route the plug anywhere meaningful.

i’m pretty sure I remember seeing or reading that someone made their own extension. But my memory is for crud and I can’t recall the details.
That socket you linked to from Amazon has a 10' lead, so unless you are trying to put the socket in the bed that's all the wiring you need.

Just get a couple of butt splices, cut off the male connector and you are in business, and you still have the fused 10a tap to hardwire something else

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
The wires might be rated at 20a but who knows what the plastic inside is like. I have the same plug, combined alongside a USB and USB-C plug, and is fused at 10a, maybe 15, but I think 10. Anyway, I can't imagine pulling more than 10a from one of those things anyway. 10a is a heck of a lot of power for anything yo would charge inside the cab. My fridge only pulls 2.5a - phone probably pulls 2.5-3a. Maybe a computer with a cigar plug charger could pull 10a but even those I think are no more than 5.

I would be curious what you would want to use it for - that would be an important thing to figure out before settling on wiring configurations.

The tap from quadratic is cool - but I dont know that it is the right route to go honestly. You might be better off extending that harness and putting the amazon cigar port where you want. Using that quadratic part will result in leaving some wiring plugs exposed - although you could just tape over them too. Now if you used that quadratic wire set, and cut off the ends to extend the wire to where you wanted it, that would work pretty nice and it would give you the proper rated circuit (I believe 10a?).

But also - the point of fuses is to protect wires and divices from melting/catching fire. So being that the device is rated to handle up to 20a, but the circuit you want to use is currently fused at 40a - that could cause a problem. So it would be good to make the fuse at a lower amp rating than the rest of the circuit. Or you could consider using one of the other aux wires. I think 1 and 2 are 40a and 3 and 4 are 15amps?

people be responding too fast - see last paragraph above. Fuses are to protect wires and circuits not devices - so quadratic using a 10a fuse probably means the wires they used there are not capable of handling more than 10a.

Another option would be use aux circuit 3 or 4. they are rated at 15 amps. Your cigar lighter on amazon is capable of handling 20 amps. so that provides the proper protection, given the wires you use to go from aux 3 or 4 to the cigar plug are sized appropriately
Haha yea, fast responses are nice though. Helps get info before the thread gets buried.

i have a dash cam on aux 3 and lights run through either 3 or 4. Can’t remember which off the top of my head.

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer

For me anyway, the primary advantage to using the splitter is not having to cut into the factory harness.

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
For me anyway, the primary advantage to using the splitter is not having to cut into the factory harness.
which is ideal for me as well.

the qtec one says 9in long on their website. Which may be just enough to run the plug over the the passenger side foot well.
Sponsored