Sponsored

Relocating Rear Lower Shock mount, anyone tried it yet?

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
I'm getting a little annoyed at how low the rear lower shock mounts are. I'd like to move them. Has anyone done this yet?

I have skids already there, but that doesn't stop them from getting hung up and bent. Moving them higher will definitely effect the geometry and where the shocks bottom out, which means math... So if anyone has tried it, I would love to see what you did so I can learn from your experience before I start :)

Thanks!
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I'm getting a little annoyed at how low the rear lower shock mounts are. I'd like to move them. Has anyone done this yet?

I have skids already there, but that doesn't stop them from getting hung up and bent. Moving them higher will definitely effect the geometry and where the shocks bottom out, which means math... So if anyone has tried it, I would love to see what you did so I can learn from your experience before I start :)

Thanks!
Moving them up will also change the angle, which affects the dampening.

Dlish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Plastics
In for the subscribe on this one.

Coming from the early bronco world, I always questioned the Jeep location (and new Bronco). My EB has the lower mounts in the upper 1/3, and with a body lift was able to extend the upper mount on the frame to get longer shocks so that the droop would still be there.

MetalCloak has their 6pak shocks. Wonder if these would help. The compressed length is shorter since a piston comes from each side. Maybe could get away with moving the lower mount up, and keep the similar travel by swapping shocks? As you said, its a math problem.

https://metalcloak.com/6pak-shocks.html

Yes, the angle effects dampening, but with a minor change, and keeping a sway bar, wonder if any changes would be noticable.

(Edit: Metalcloaks site says the shocks are rebuildable and nitrogen charged, there appears to be a fill nipple on the shocks. So in theory one could adjust the fill to change dampening)

OP
OP
Kindafearless

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
I sorta get it, since the upper mounts are already right against the bottom of the bed. The JLs have them in a different location, so it’s probably related to the bed in some way :/

I have no problems cutting into the bed and making little towers if I need to. One more off-road trip planned this year, so good time to start planning the winter mods!

Dlish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Plastics
I have no problems cutting into the bed and making little towers if I need to. One more off-road trip planned this year, so good time to start planning the winter mods!
I have seen that a lot, basically a little triangle tent shape metal housing that goes up through the bed. Has the bolt for mount at the top and gains you the space needed.
May be able to keep a similar angle/path of travel so that road manners are not dramatically changed.
Sponsored