Relocating SiriusXM Antenna

drewkillsit

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Installed a Rhino Rack 52x56 on the roof and, not surprisingly, the SiriusXM service starting cutting out non-stop. Purchased a Maximus-3 relocation bracket and relocated the antenna to just above the driver visor. Still cuts out regularly, though maybe a bit less.

Now I'm thinking about attaching the antenna to the Rhino Rack itself, which would require some additional antenna cable and some splicing, but would leave it totally unobstructed. I'm thinking I'll 1) mount the antenna on the back center of the rack, 2) cut the cable before the yellow connector, 3) solder some new cable in, 4) route through the hard top, and 5) solder in the connector again. This way, I can still disconnect from within the cab and remove the hard top.
  • Has anyone devised a simpler solution to reception (besides not having a roof rack)?
  • Anyone ever spliced antenna cables before? Assuming I can use some self-solder and insulate the crap out of the cables with tape and/or heat shrink. Also assuming it's a tiny cable that could easily be damaged.
  • Assuming this antenna will function properly outdoors, based on some relocations I've seen on the JL forums. Just hoping it won't be damaged by weather.
Sponsored

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Not sure where the actual connector is, but on an RV i had i bought the external XM/Sirus antenna at a truck stop. Its a much better antenna and made to mount to a mirror on a truck so a rack would probably hook up simple. It came with a 12 or 16' cable. Think it was RG174. I think the connection is under the passengers door trim. May be worth looking at one of those.

https://www.iowa80.com/pd/mirror-mount-siriusxm-satellite-radio-antenna/218719/

OP
OP
drewkillsit

drewkillsit

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Ended up relocating the stock antenna to the roof rack using a 4' extension cable. Rerouted the cable from the front (Maximus-3 mount location) to the rear, added the extension cable (saved splicing, and can now be easily disconnected when removing the hard top), then just used the same Maximus-3 bracket to mount it to the Rhino Rack. No actual need for this bracket, but at least this way it gets some use.

Signal is perfect. Zero dropouts since.

This is the cable: https://amzn.to/3baYe8R

Reroute.png

Relocation.jpg

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Ended up relocating the stock antenna to the roof rack using a 4' extension cable. Rerouted the cable from the front (Maximus-3 mount location) to the rear, added the extension cable (saved splicing, and can now be easily disconnected when removing the hard top), then just used the same Maximus-3 bracket to mount it to the Rhino Rack. No actual need for this bracket, but at least this way it gets some use.

Signal is perfect. Zero dropouts since.

This is the cable: https://amzn.to/3baYe8R

Jeep Gladiator Relocating SiriusXM Antenna Relocation

Jeep Gladiator Relocating SiriusXM Antenna Relocation
Bringing this one back from hibernation. I may be doing the same thing though, only with a Frontrunner rack. From previous experience, I know it jacks with the Sirius XM, and I actually listen to it quite frequently, so I'm being proactive.

How is your solution working out? Any issues long term? I haven't looked at the wiring yet, but a quick glance at your diagram has me thinking that I'll route the wiring out of the rear driver side cab vent, and up the gap in between the bed and the cab to the roof rack. I will soon have a camper shell installed, so the wiring won't be visible.

How did you get yours from the interior to the exterior? Did you drill a route through the hard top?

At any rate, great solution. Thanks for the idea!

OP
OP
drewkillsit

drewkillsit

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Bringing this one back from hibernation. I may be doing the same thing though, only with a Frontrunner rack. From previous experience, I know it jacks with the Sirius XM, and I actually listen to it quite frequently, so I'm being proactive.

How is your solution working out? Any issues long term? I haven't looked at the wiring yet, but a quick glance at your diagram has me thinking that I'll route the wiring out of the rear driver side cab vent, and up the gap in between the bed and the cab to the roof rack. I will soon have a camper shell installed, so the wiring won't be visible.

How did you get yours from the interior to the exterior? Did you drill a route through the hard top?

At any rate, great solution. Thanks for the idea!
No issues yet. Yep, I drilled through the roof. I had some rubber gaskets so that made it much easier to seal. On the interior, it's not noticeable at all. The trick is making sure you've got a relatively easy way to disconnect it in the event of a hardtop removal.

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
No issues yet. Yep, I drilled through the roof. I had some rubber gaskets so that made it much easier to seal. On the interior, it's not noticeable at all. The trick is making sure you've got a relatively easy way to disconnect it in the event of a hardtop removal.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Truthfully, when I get my cab rack on the chances of me completely removing the top are going to be pretty slim. I would like to retain the ability to do so though, either with a quick disconnect or by avoiding the hard top altogether by routing out through the cab vent. We'll see how it works out.
Sponsored