HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know of, or if, there is an aftermarket solution to adding remote start to a manual transmission JT? Seems like with 1 extra line of code, FCA could have added it with the condition that the Transmission is in neutral. The sensors are apparently already there because it's used by the ESS. So, any ideas?
Sponsored

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, E36 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3
It can be done if you bypass the microswitch on the clutch. Takes a bit of wiring know how, but I've seen it done. You just need to add a relay to the system so when the remote start is activated it bypasses the clutch lockout temporarily. However, with that said, I've also seen cars start up and drive off unattended because either someone else was in the car (other than the owner) and put it in gear or the owner accidentally left it in gear when they normally never do. Therefore, definitely do it at your own risk and you will have a hard time finding a shop that will do it for you.

RG48820

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon; 2018 Stinger GT2; Dodge Stealth RT/TT
I'm sure it can be dne with aftermarket remote starts. I have had remote start added to 3 of my sports cars with manual transmissions in the past. Good shops that specialize in remote starts will have no problems. The remote start I would look at is the CompuStar 1200. Very versatile product. Will work with factory remote and can get with a Drone Mobile phone app subscription which is very nice. I have this on my 2018 Kia Stinger -- was about $300 installed. Nice that UConnect does it from the factory n my Rubicon, but the Compustar/Drone is much better.

OP
OP
HTXGladiator

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you both! I always park in neutral with the e-brake, and for the life of me can't figure out why they couldn't have offered remote start that's inhibited with the vehicle in gear/e-brake not set etc. If you turn your automatic gladiator off with the truck in gear i bet it won't remote start either. Thanks again, I'll hit up the local dealers/shops.

Racer5112

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1961 Ford Falcon, 1980 Dodge Colt wagon, 2018 Dodge Journey
Vehicle Showcase
Any update on this? Has anyone tried to get one installed or know of a plug-n-play setup?

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you both! I always park in neutral with the e-brake, and for the life of me can't figure out why they couldn't have offered remote start that's inhibited with the vehicle in gear/e-brake not set etc. If you turn your automatic gladiator off with the truck in gear i bet it won't remote start either. Thanks again, I'll hit up the local dealers/shops.
You cannot turn the Gladiator off unless it is in Park. It just cycles between ACC and RUN and flashes the gear indicator light.

When I learned to drive a manual (about 40 years ago), I was taught to always leave it in gear when parked, since you cannot always rely on the brake to keep it from rolling away.

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
You cannot turn the Gladiator off unless it is in Park. It just cycles between ACC and RUN and flashes the gear indicator light.

When I learned to drive a manual (about 40 years ago), I was taught to always leave it in gear when parked, since you cannot always rely on the brake to keep it from rolling away.
I was always taught put it in reverse gear and emergency break. It was like second nature to me

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer had said it could be done but would have to be done by a third party. The driver will have to leave the truck in neutral and parking brake set. I haven't dug into the matter yet but it seems possible.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I was always taught put it in reverse gear and emergency break. It was like second nature to me
And I set the parking brake on my WJ a while back and came out to see the thing rolling back slowly................. I had it in neutral running to warm up to check transmission fluid. Can't rely on those brakes.
Some people simply pull a lever and there, it's set, right?
Uh, no, you need to pull a bit harder......... and the thing rolls with the "brake on" because it takes some tension, especially with rear disks. Those are the most unreliable "parking brake" or "emergency brakes" there are. As the brakes cool the pressure is lessened on them where drum brakes will get wedged tight and as the drum cools it contracts onto the shoes. The hydraulics put crazy force on those pads, far more than your little cable will. Especially when I see people drive away with the brake on...... must not put that much pressure on that rotor - they just fried the rear brakes driving away with the e-brake on and didn't know it.
I suspect it's an issue of liability......... like Mr._Bill said - you can't stop your truck and not have it in Park and get out without a warning.
You CAN shift into neutral and think you have the brake set and walk away.
One of you would surely sue FCA if one of your kids was hurt...... someone would - look at the attorney ads on TV.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer had said it could be done but would have to be done by a third party. The driver will have to leave the truck in neutral and parking brake set. I haven't dug into the matter yet but it seems possible.
It can be done, that's really not in question. It's a huge liability issue on a vehicle with a manual transmission, which is primarily why FCA won't offer it. Finding a shop to do the install won't be easy in this litigious era.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It can be done, that's really not in question. It's a huge liability issue on a vehicle with a manual transmission, which is primarily why FCA won't offer it. Finding a shop to do the install won't be easy in this litigious era.
Absolutely it's possible!
But there must be a way to know it's in neutral - automatics have a NSS, maybe modern, current, manuals have the NSS - but they did not up through the 1980s.
There needs to be some way to know it's in neutral and unless there's a switch in the transmission or rigged to the shifter......... do the manual equipped Jeep JTs have a gear indicator? If not, how would they know it's in neutral?
There are switches in the transmission for reverse -for the backup lights, but what about neutral?

I rigged a switch on my clutch pedal so my car would not crank unless the clutch was depressed. I switch between auto and stick so often, and with ADHD, I'd not pay close attention and may try to just get in and hit the key - bad when I drove my automatic cars for a week then jumped into my manual equipped car, so I put a switch on the clutch pedal. Wouldn't work for remote start but illustrates what I'm trying to convey, maybe.

OP
OP
HTXGladiator

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There is some kind of sensor, because when you're in neutral, clutch out the ESS turns the truck off, if you out it in gear while in ESS mode it tells you that the vehicle is in gear and wont start until you go neutral or press the clutch

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There is some kind of sensor, because when you're in neutral, clutch out the ESS turns the truck off, if you out it in gear while in ESS mode it tells you that the vehicle is in gear and wont start until you go neutral or press the clutch
I need to get a wiring diagram, a full schematic. I have other Jeep service manuals but not this new.
Since the ESS is sensing neutral, all one has to do is tie into that. (of course if it's sensing input shaft speed relative to road speed then that's out)

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Any update on this? Has anyone tried to get one installed or know of a plug-n-play setup?
Mopar does sell a remote start kit, 82215957AB, but it is listed as only for trucks with an automatic transmission.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Don't hold your breath for an update from MOPAR - it ain't gonna happen for the sticks.
After-market, perhaps - but it would have to tie in with the Jeep security - don't want to start it with the doors unlocked, and the factory setup locks the doors and disables a lot of stuff until you get in and push the "start" button - any "kit" would need to interface with the security aspects.
Remote start kits are generally aimed at the older vehicles with far less complex electronics. Won't say it's not possible, but seriously, good luck. It won't come from Jeep (I'll stick my neck out and say ever), and it won't be simple with the theft control and other security aspects to current vehicles.
Sponsored