Sponsored

Removing tire protectant stain from matte wheels?

watarski

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Does anyone have a trick for removing "stains" from a matte black wheel? I have AEV Pintlers and used a single, light coating of 303 tire balm (says safe for ALL wheel finishes...) and have bad lines/drip marks in the finish after a rainstorm. The tire balm has been on there for a few weeks, so I'm a bit shocked. It's definitely stained as I tried to wash them off with soap and water to no avail. Anyone have any products they've used with success for issues like this? In the below picture, the wheel is dry...

AEV_Wheels.jpg
Sponsored

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Try Dawn. Specifically that brand. I run a industrial coatings plant, and when all else fails, Dawn is your best bet without knowing the specific coating on the wheel.

Lather it up real nice and let it sit for fifteen minutes, then rinse it off and wash again.

Another thing you can attempt is to actually take even more tire balm and rub it in to the wheel, using circular motion like a wax job. Sometimes the uncured chemical can soften up the cured runs. Then you can wipe the whole thing down with soapy water and pull it off.

Best bet is to ask on one of the car detailing forums, its amazing the tricks that those guys have.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Like mentioned dawn soap. I'd also try something like Adam's Wheel Cleaner. Just make sure your wheels are cool and out of direct sunlight.

dreston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Try drbeasleys. They have products for matte finishes.
Sponsored